• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

powercroco 135-50 inrunner - 40kW bldc

c_a

100 W
since september the powercroco community is working on the new motor for my 2012 epo-bike,

it looks like we will be ready soon:

rotor tray:
dsc00214oz.jpg

the stator can be seen here (the second from the top):
http://powerditto.de/monster.html

we are looking for 40kW @ 5.000rpm

Best regards
Christian

Nice!

Looking forward to seeing more of this, Christian. :D

Ref: http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fepo-bike.de%2F&sl=de&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

WOW ... that stuff is great!
I see it is wound up for 6 split controllers, kind of 7kW each. :eek:
Are you planning to use a custom controller or just 6 pieces of some standard
Infineon-like sensored controller? Like a block of 6x 36fet?

Will you glue the magnets on the rotor?

have fun!

Jesus Christ on a Cracker.

The high power eBike arms race just got even nuttier.

Christian I'm confused :roll: :lol: . I thought you loved outrunners :wink: .

Your motor will be awesome.

neptronix said:
The high power eBike arms race just got even nuttier.

Pretty sure we're talking electric race motorcycles here, http://epo-bike.de/

Looks like you're running a one-way sprag bearing between the rotor and the output shaft? So I presume the shaft will be suspended in an additional set of bearings, maybe in the motor end plates? Neat setup! I suppose it's the most compact way to allow the motor to freewheel- since regen braking will be of very limited value while racing...

Beautiful parts, I look forward to seeing more photos as you build the motor!

That looks really neat. What controller are you thinking of using? 5000RPM with a 30pole motor is 1250Hz electrical frequency, I don't know of any 40kW controllers that can handle that kind of speed. With your pole/slot combination you could run it with 6 parallel RC ESC's but I think off the line torque might still blow those little controllers up. I am very interested to see what you have come up with.

-ryan

Hi,
the freewheel is for security reasons if I loose one of the 60 6x6x50mm magnets.

First I will use two kelly KBL09401B controllers, each will fire three single motors conntected in YYY.

I'll be super psyched if we can actually control this beast. Hugely Subscribed.

Any theoretical calcs on winding resistance/inductance?

:mrgreen:

c_a said:
Hi,
the freewheel is for security reasons if I loose one of the 60 6x6x50mm magnets.

I hope you not only glue them, but also strap them over with enough turns of carbon wire and coating,
to avoid exploding magnet fireworks :mrgreen:

have fun!

zEEz said:
c_a said:
Hi,

I hope you not only glue them, but also strap them over with enough turns of carbon wire and coating,
to avoid exploding magnet fireworks :mrgreen:

have fun!

Carbon is very conductive and starts glowing red very quickly while spinning in a strong magnetic field.

Kevlar or glass fibers are a much better choice.

Like Biff mentioned above, a Sevcon could only bring that motor to half RPM before reaching commutation freq limits. The ultra-high-speed Kelly should get it closer, but not see full speed (and have a habit of randomly exploding).

liveforphysics said:
Carbon is very conductive and starts glowing red very quickly while spinning in a strong magnetic field.

Kevlar or glass fibers are a much better choice.

I had a second thought and considered this point, but then I assumed a spiral rotating in the field
in that fashion you would naturally wrap the magnets should not make a big disaster, since it naturally
sees an almost constant magnetic flux. :mrgreen:
On the other hand, considering the possibility of strong nonlinerities and other nasty effects, I agree with
you, lfp, that to use kevlar would be the safest choice .... 8)

have fun!

I hope I can glue the magnets early next week.

The copper wire has a diameter of 2,12mm + isolation, the copper weight is >1kg...

today I checked the outer diameter of the rotor, it is 134mm as calculated. So we have 0,5mm air gap as planned :)

terrific stuff...
are you planning cooling?
have fun :mrgreen:

Does anyone know if this motor was finished?

We need some updates? How did the rest of the build go? What's the controller and the bike? Show video, info!!! :D

Back