Prepping for first build.

geekybiker

10 W
So I read through the 83 page monstrosity of a RC thread trying to get an idea of what I need to do a build.

I'm not looking for max power, but for low weight and compact size. This is going on a 20" wheeled dahon folder so I have little advantage in geardown. 750-1000w would be fine.

1) The Motor
Seems that I'd want to run something well under capacity volt and amp wise, but gear it to be able to wind out in first gear. Big motors also have lower Kv, which seems an advantage as well as making burning out the motor much more difficult. I'm thinking of using http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5141&Product_Name=TR_80-85-B_170Kv_Brushless_Outrunner_%28eq:_70-40%29
due to its low Kv

2) ESC
Castle Creations Phoenix ESC seem to be the big winner for startup. I'd hoping to run 36v packs, so 30A should get me to where I need to do. Instantaneous draw is somewhat higher though. High much extra capacity do I need? would the HV-45 provide enough cushion?

3)Batteries
I figure on using some of the cheap 12v 5ah RC lipo packs. 3 in series for 36v and then another 3 in parallel for 6 packs. That should give me 36v and 10ah, correct? I only have to get about 5 miles RT for what I really need and adding more range is always easy. 24v vs 36v though- Gearing becomes easier at 24v, but you need a more expensive ESC to handle the Amps. 24v means carrying less battery for the same Ah too right?

4) Transmission
I getting that these have to be pretty much custom made for your bike. I'm hoping to run through my gears. I've seen an adapter that allows a second freewheel on a rear IGH as an option and it seems like the cleanest way to drive gears that I've seen. Still the big ? for me.

Back