Price on NiMH batteries, other options?

gwsaltspring

100 W
Hi All;

Just priced out 2 X 36V 12Ah NiMH battery packs with a couple of 4A chargers. With shipping I am expecting it to come in pretty close to $1100CAN.

For that kind of money, and the favourable CAN/US exchange rate right now, are there other options that any of you might recommend I look into?

Greg

Would that be from ebikes.ca?
Those, or the 18ah DD's like Lowell's would be my first choice if I was interested in nickel batteries. If on a tight budget, I'd go for 2 of Justin's 36V 8ah 3C Nicads and wire in a series/parallel switch in case they get too hot in series pulling >30 amps up a steep hill (then switch to series again for charging). It's too difficult to buy 60 high-rate high-capacity matched nickel cells individually, so nickel-battery DIY projects are not reasonably feasible IMO.

If you got the dough, I'd forget nickel and for $1750 grab a "double pack" of those Forsen-imported 72v 20ah lithium manganese packs like ypedal is testing.
http://www.forsenusa.com/batteries.html

Hi Xyster;

Yes it is from Justin, haven't ordered them yet, but was going through the motions and just wondering what my other," shall we say " proven/safe/prebuilt options are.

I have been happy with the existing pack, not that I have anything to compare it to, he is local (relatively speaking) and has been very patient with answering my questions over time so I would like to continue to support him and his business venture.

I have been awaiting a review from YPedal, as the price to upgrade to the Li appears to be worth it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Gaston are you out there? :)

Greg

Back