Quadcopter Build

Sweet! :D

I missed this thread, I need to go back to the beginning...

-JD

today i tested my quad with the 4000mah zippy compact 25c battery. i have a little lipo guard for low voltage connected to the balance port. after flying not more than 2min i let the copter go wot up into the air and the low voltage alarm was beeping. the telemetry screen was showing 10.5v (for 3s) under load. i landed, charged the battery and only 800mah went into it.
so either my motors are demanding too much power (d3530 with 10" rotors and 30a afro escs for a 1kg quad) or the zippy is not up to the job.
what do you think?
is a 4000mah 25c battery up to the job? i really didn't do the simple calc when i ordered my batteries. i have 4x 2650mah turnigy nanotech 25-50c batteries. after doing the math those 4 motors can pull 310w each which equals to around 30a. or 120a for all for of them. no way the little turnigys can do that. please tell me that i'm wrong :(
maybe i should look for something like those: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=53689

I would go with a higher c rate, definitely need to hold that voltage.
or parallel some packs up, you could make a harness..

Iv never had that happened to me on that setup tho and i think i had the exact same cells, Only time that happened to me was with some old cruddy 8ah cells, low voltage buzzer would ping on wot, they had super hi internal resistance.
Maybe double check your motors, make sure they are spinning freely and no crud is in the motors, or at the base where the circlip is

On another note, something iv just done to my mini.
You might want to consider,
lubricating your bearings as well, iv read a few places now that, unless the manufacture advises that it has sealed bearings or pre lubricated, its a good habbit to do.
It made all the difference on my mini quadcopter, motors were getting warm, now they are staying cool..

something i never did with my 3530 motors.

izeman

I stayed on that battery and got a hefty discount,

Price dropped by 7 dollars :O

was $37 and went to $30...

might be worth doing this, I never do because normally its not much of a discount.

nechaus: did you ever measure maximum current for your quad? as i said: if i do the math, it should be just a bit over 100a. can this really be? i'm installing an acs758 current sensor, and i need to know which type to choose. they have a quite bad resolution of around half an amp. :/

yeah I agree, At first when i started getting into it, I thought the gimbal would be ideal..
But now playing with it all, I would rather have a fixed camera and just improve my piloting skills.

Im not going to be using a gopro on the mini, I am going to order a mobius and use that for now, ill use it as my fpv camera so i know exactly what im shooting.

I did acro mode the other day, I had my rates on stock, incredibly slow, Did a big loop and before you know it, I went wot into the ground, Snapped the whole printed frame, so i have now changed frames, this one is more heavy duty.

if you intend on doing flips and rolls, you need to put your rates up.

HIGH rates are needed for flips :) otherwise it takes too long and you crash.

maybe we should start to build a list for what's needed for FPV. and i talk high quality fpv and not the real cheap stuff. i think it's a shame that we have to take a HD camera and convert the nice hd picture to an cheap analog signal.

a friend of mine has a real interesting approach: he uses a logitech digital cam connected to a raspberry pi with a 4g modem. he then opens an openvpn channel to his laptop and therefore has almost unlimited distance he can fly. of course he has some massive lag which is between 150-200ms. but as he does no acro flying but "only" landscape filming he can live with that. he uses ardupilot and this software really has some failsafes integrated. and other than my multiwii rth, rth works great for him.

has your friend tested it closer to cell towers to see if the latency drops? does it change the lag?
sounds like an interesting idea and it seems like you might be able to improve the latency some how.

I did a speed test on my 4g phone, I was getting a latency of 20ms, that's about half the latency of my ADSL.

raspberry pi fpv youtube

[youtube]3xBZrEmoGCE[/youtube]

[youtube]Uey5X1M_awc[/youtube]

[youtube]9Yk1Mn0lF34[/youtube]

not sure if this is hd, but good to get an idea on some lag people have
[youtube]hhL1gW5dVTY[/youtube]

yes. 6s = 22v * 2000kV = 44krpm. i would expect the props to break at that speed. and i don't know how he can control the copter at that speed - i mean: how can he see the direction it's heading.
i'd love to build such a monster myself, but atm i don't even have full control over my 450 model. so this would end in a disaster.
i guess mounting a cam and doing some fpv would help learning how to fly like an airplane and controlling the thing.

With that 250 size quad I have no idea how he has any idea where that quad is, let alone direction and such. That guy has some skills.

Meanwhile, I've had two fly away accidents. The quad flies great and then all of a sudden no response from the controller. Both times the quad doesn't seem to want to go backwards. Trying to turn it and fly forward or sideways didn't seem to help either. My 360 lost control at about 300 ft. and dropped straight down. All in all, three broken arms and 3 broken props between the both of them. I keep thinking I'm getting better at this, but then something like this happens. Crazy my 10 yr old son seems to fly better than I do. Never was into gaming much and I think that is where most of these skill are built. I think someone could make a killer game out of the FPV racing. That's one that I would buy.

Nechaus-
Do your neighbors just hate you for flying around their houses? :lol: My neighbors are understandably worried about their houses and anything that I might fly into.

you know we have a saying: the dumbest farmers grow the biggest potatoes. :)
of course i don't say your son is dumb (!!!), but sometimes it helps to start a new thing open minded and w/o the thought we grown ups have (prop break, crash into people, hospital, insurance, jail ...). i just talked to a friend about those guy who build the rocketsuit they had in one of the james bond movies, and at the olympics opening someday in the 80s. the guy who invented it was the worst one flying it, and some camera man (or someone like that) tried it and did pretty well w/o worrying of what could happen.
but still the question remains: HOW THE F**** can they fly that little thing w/o seeing it or knowing the orientation?!? where is front, where is back, what is up/down?! maybe they fly a special mode? ardupilot has those super simple modes and multiwii has something like that (head free) as well, but for me it's too confusing.
how did you manage to fly away 100m? if my copter was 100m in the air i would have no chance to land it ever again. winds would blow it away and out of sight i guess.

my neighbours seem to be ok with it, no one has said anything bad yet, I try hard to not fly over peoples house as well.. seems a little bit disrespectful because im flying the things alot and even the small one now is quite noisy

I know it did encourage a kid last year to ask his parents for a helicopter, I see him trying to fly this thing and took it out on Christmas day.

I think people fly eventually just get the feel of stick inputs and how they see it move. I saw a youtube video of how to control a quadcopter when it is just a little dot in the sky. just by watching the direction it is and giving constant forward stick input. infact ill try find the video now and post it up instead of me explaining it..
[youtube]qdYTCfjUVVo[/youtube]

wanted to report my most recent crash,

This morning i checked a second hand website, went and purchased an old CRT tv, old thing for $20
I hooked it up as fpv was going to use it as a second screen for other people to view at my house.
thinking

Anyway lol, I was flying non fpv, just line of sight, it was only about 20 meters away, close as, and i totally lost control of my mini quad and it smashed into the ground with fail safe revs the tv killed my signal, i dropped tx and ran to it, by the time i reached the multi rotor power was running through it all, on one of the arms a motor full lost all the printed plastic and all the wires are twisted haha..

that fkn tv ruined it lol i should of known better

Dammit i really need a spectrum analyser to be safe, 0 - 8 ghz would be sweet

Attachments

• smashedup.jpg
    smashedup.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3,152
nechaus said:
...I think people fly eventually just get the feel of stick inputs and how they see it move. I saw a youtube video of how to control a quadcopter when it is just a little dot in the sky. just by watching the direction it is and giving constant forward stick input. infact ill try find the video now and post it up instead of me explaining it..
i know that video. it's quite helpful for distand flights. but of no help regarding those high speed flips, air screws, high speed drops etc. the copter flips and turn several times and he flies it w/o delay or checking copter heading. there must be something special :)

Back