RC downhill bike design -

Badass Hal!! I gues now we will see how much torque the 7 speed chains can take. :twisted:

Is this designed to be contained within your custom frame? Also, are the two side by side freewheels so that you can pedal without drivetrain drag? I'm not sure why so many freewheels, but I'm sure you do. :wink:

Are you going to build your own motor for this Hal? Everybody else is doing it :lol:

Subscribed

Thanks all. This is bike that I have dreamed of last 5 or more years. I had a vision what it should do but not a clue how to do it.
It is 100% ES forums inspired bike. Maybe some frame design is from other side of the web world.
I will try to explain the idea. The frame geometry is from my dh frame building experience in last 150 years. I have made 9 fully DH frames, Unfortunately (for you :) ) they are all sold together with intellectual property so I can't show you any design.
Travel will be 200mm front and 265 mm rear. Rear travel trajectory is almost parallel to front, maximal wheel axis distance growth is less then 3mm on full stroke.
To do that swinarm will be 935mm long and swing arm pivot axle will be 150 mm from head tube. There are two rear shocks connected parallel from swing arm to head tube.
On head tube is mounted some type of rocker arm so you can adjust rear travel/force curve with 3 inflexion points just by making different air pressure in shocks.
Second part is unsprung mass. It will be low, :) you can see the first picture it is fixie. Drive is true ES baby, It was inspired by Phaser-Matt-Miles cluster of ideas... on second picture the axels are ordered as on bike. Right axle is output/swing arm-pivot axle, also there is first freewheel to reduce resistance when bike is cruising,
There are 4 parts that are connected coaxially, only output sprocket and disc are connected together, the outside bearings is swing arm bearings, the middle axle is "collector" . on bigger freewheel is motor input and next to him ,smaller freewheel is crank input, sprocket cluster is part of the gear box it has also freewheel .
The shifting mechanism will remain secret for now :). The frame and the swing arm will be made out of 20mmX1,5mm CroMo steel tubes, with as much as possible bends...
There are plenty of room for improvement but I have decided to build it now as it is, with all its mistakes. When it is finished ,build another, improved,

HAL9000v2.0 said:
etard said:
Are you going to build your own motor for this Hal? Everybody else is doing it :lol:

Yes, but not for this bike.

I will not follow " Miles's rules" :wink: :lol:

So do tellz Hal...two 3 or 4 Astros? I need to know how many more i need to add to better you mate sheesh :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

KiM

AussieJester said:
HAL9000v2.0 said:
etard said:

Yes, but not for this bike.

I will not follow " Miles's rules" :wink: :lol:

So do tellz Hal...two 3 or 4 Astros? I need to know how many more i need to add to better you mate sheesh :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

KiM

No, different approach... large dia, axial, coreless, brushless, magnetless...something between series and induction motor but to work with bldc controller.

Some updates... progress is slow but will speed up as snow is melting...All frame parts are finished and swingarm is 90% finished. Now I have to make some jig and weld the frame. The long chain works fine, but I will still make some chain guides near tyre. this is 3" tyre and the clearence is les then few mm. Shifter is finished in my head now I have to see if it is possible to make...

dhe1.jpg

dhe2.jpg

HAL9000v2.0 said:
I did not explain all... sorry.
1. I plan to build a carbon frame around this.
2. I want that chain is going through swingarm so no shifting there
3. I want all to be closed with frame only pedals sticking out.

1. no
2. no
3. no

Important is to have a plan... :lol:

j3tch1u said:
looking good HAL. i like the long legs and how you centered the pivot point around the bb. may i suggest angled swing-arm trusses akin to ducati monster?

I agree, it would also protect all those secret skunks works bits. Don't want those spread out in your wake after you case a triple when all you were doing was "testing throttle response." :mrgreen:

I am still trying to figure out the layout. Let me try to visualize it. The swingarm hinges off that cassette with the disk brake on it, and your skeletal frame actually meets at your pedal bottom bracket as well as the seattube?
Does the seatube stay inside the swingarm? This is frickin' revolutionary man! One step closer to half man, half motorcycle (well more like 90% machine, but who's counting...)

This is first sketch. Curved swingarm looks better but then chain is exposed and ther are some clearence issues with frame tubes. It can be curved if I make it shorter. But I want to be as long as possible to have as strait travel path as possible.
The seat tube is only 50mm long. and it is connected wit 4 small tubes with the rest of the frame. teh whole frame is inside swingarm and swingarm is inside pedals...

Graphic1.gif

I could make some small curve but the problem is top tubes of the frame because they are outside the swingarm near headtube and inside near tubes thet holds seat tube, I can do two things: 1. make top tubes more curvy so the clearence below allows swing arm to be curved or make travel smaller. The question is what I will get with this. Definitly there will be mora material because the shortest way between two points is strait line. I will get more srtength and "vertical" stifness but I will lose horizontal stiffnes. I could use thiner tubes but I do not have them :)

no, but Cappelini is defenetly one of my rollmodels.

Actualy this is whereI have found inspiration. I am looking at this ...every day... allmost a year. I think this is top of vehicle design today...

KTM-AX.jpg

KTM-AX-.jpg

That KTM AX might be the coolest thing I have ever seen!

Very cool!

I have long been a fan of space frame designs like that. My latest kart build runs along those lines.

Oh, if only I had enough green in my pocket, I would build a vehicle like that. :)

I love the frame design, Hal. It looks great!

I am also glad to see your designs progressing so quickly. You are an inspiration, Man!

Matt

Back