Rickys High Power Flexable motor controller

500hz sounds about right from what i have read on this forum.

500 x 60 = 30.000 e-rpm

so with 7 pole pairs you can run at a max of ~4500rpm

Alan B said:
Perhaps. They don't seem to make it clear in their data sheets.
Luke has posted it someware and 30,000 erpm is about right.

Sevcon doesn't have a hard limit, with previous firmware current control got sketchy above 500Hz so they didn't recommend exceeding that. Sevcon is continually updating their firmware so you might be able to push things past 500Hz now, but don't expect it to go much past that, 550, maybe 600Hz if you have a very sinusoid backEMF, and excellent position sensing.

-ryan

Biff said:
Sevcon doesn't have a hard limit, with previous firmware current control got sketchy above 500Hz so they didn't recommend exceeding that. Sevcon is continually updating their firmware so you might be able to push things past 500Hz now, but don't expect it to go much past that, 550, maybe 600Hz if you have a very sinusoid backEMF, and excellent position sensing.

-ryan
Ryan what do you think the hardware will limit the sevcon to...? I would say as they update their firmware there will be a Hard limit of the main chip. Eventually they will have to make a updated controller with a new chip. But I bet they are already in Beta testing.... If a company wants to stick around in the controller industry they will be constantly updating both firmware and hardware. Its exciting to think what will be commercially available in just a matter of time.
Although 3 years have gone by since I got Colossus thinking a controller wont be far behind..... And well Its great it didn't because I feel IM over the hard portion of the learning curve so I can keep learning how to make mine better as things become available.

Lebowski said:
Still, I'm surprised how low it is....
Lebowski they use ~5 year old tech I think when you grabbed a dspic30f4011 about 1 year ago it was still quite new right?

Arlo1 said:
Lebowski said:
Still, I'm surprised how low it is....
Lebowski they use ~5 year old tech I think when you grabbed a dspic30f4011 about 1 year ago it was still quite new right?
Not really I think, it should also be a few years old already cause the next generation is already there, 33F's

The difference will be in the algorithm and whether or not they have a 16 bit processor with a hardware multiplier on board...

Also you need pretty fast adc's

Biff said:

-ryan

When they reach 2 kHz someone PM me... :mrgreen:

Biff said:

-ryan
They're not even sensorless ?

h0tr0d said:
Biff said:

-ryan

When they reach 2 kHz someone PM me... :mrgreen:
Mine should :mrgreen:

Mine can update the signals to the motor around 90000 to 100000 times per second....

Lebowski, The Dude, Sir...

I have to ask you the following:

If you don't think there's money to be made from your controller, why make it open source and become the next world hero in electric mobility?

h0tr0d said:

If you don't think there's money to be made from your controller, why make it open source and become the next world hero in electric mobility?
I think his plan is to write the software and make money from it and let someone else build the hardware

If the market is "small" for ready made controllers, for a person "only" selling specific software for ebikes is even smaller...
If Lebowski sells the chips to DIY guys or sells his idea to some company, the impact on the EV community (and his wallet) will be very small. :(
If he makes it OpenSource (this 1st version p.ex.), perhaps he'll make a name for himself, that will never be forgotten by the ever growing EV community, and be hired/start a company for EV's and make money like mad. 8)
There was a guy here in the forum that got a job based on the information he shared with all, controller build I think...
Just my 2 cents.

But, with all due respect Arlin, I'd prefer a answer for Lebowski himself.

He has already said he doesn't want to make it open source.
I think he is hoping for larger EV companies to use is software. Remember E-bike stuff has little money to be made but Motorcycles and cars are another story.
Hotrod I don't know what your deal is but you are way to eager without actually doing anything your self. When I got to your point I started learning to mod controllers then design and build them my self. The code is very important but a design for Hi power cost a lot to develop and there is already patents on some things. So you must be careful when trying to sell a complete controller.

Arlo1 said:
Hotrod I don't know what your deal is but you are way to eager without actually doing anything your self.
Just because I didn't post it, doesn't mean I didn't did it. My present controller is 36% more powerful and 5% more efficient than original. In due time I'll post it...

h0tr0d said:

Well, I think the algorithm represents a certain value, and therefore I'm not
giving it away. Pity I don't know how to get the value out of it and turn it into cash...

Plus, if I would tell how it works it would spoil all the fun for people experimenting with FOC etc :mrgreen:

One way to get value from algorithm is to get a worldwide patent and license it, or open source it and get value from fame, contacts and consulting or hooking up with manufacturer(s). Though since it is all assembly language it has a lot less value than a high level language implementation (with minimal assembler as needed for performance). Most commercial concerns are going to want to license the source code and they're not going to want the costs of supporting asm. Open source might be more receptive, but again not much open source is asm.

Selling programmed chips through the forum probably requires too much support and makes the customer base too small. At the minimum a web site with online purchasing, documentation, circuit boards, supporting power amplifiers, etc is required. Perhaps you have or are working on that. Still, a hard way to make progress. Probably requires a small company. Has a way of soaking up all your spare time which works for awhile but may be problematic long term.

But eventually someone will make a decent open source version (hardware and software) and it will catch fire and take off. Whoever does that version will gain a lot of professional opportunity. What's the value of that? Could be significant. Things like that have a way of paying off in ways that weren't anticipated.

With all the chip vendors spending great deals of development to make tools, libraries and kits to make programming motor controls easy the number of folks doing this will continue to increase, and at some point we will be flooded with better controllers. This will be good for customers but hard on the folks generating the products. Open source minimizes risk of loss and leverages the effort of other collaborators.

Hi Ricky
I'm in New Plymouth not far away from you, I've been riding with cyclone motors for many years even fitting & selling but only as favors to people, I've now about 4 cyclone 500w motors with ruined internal controllers these are in the hands of guys who have a bit of electrical knowledge & they are trying to make controllers for them & struggling , could you sell us a board etc for assembly or even let them get in touch with you so as to help their efforts in making these.
I followed the threads on fitting a controller etc & spent a lot of my pensioner time trying to copy them --getting a controller was hard then even told wrong one etc -have sure given that up as I'm as thick as a 4x2 on electrics.

Kevin

Back