running 60v on a 48v infineon controller?

this is my first post.

ive been preparing for my e-bike kit for about a month now. i purchased the 48v 1000w kit off ebay from china
took them a while to send it to me because i requested a rear disc brake model (GT avalanche 3.0).

i fully installed the entire kit on my bike while running into a few minor problems, but ill get to that later.

At the moment im still awaiting the arrival of my 48v lifepo4 from ebay. evidently they take quite a while to ship to USA,
so for the meantime i went to a local supply house and bought 4 12v5ah SLA batteries....just because they were cheap and i could get a few tests in.
i know 5ah is def not enough.

but these are my problems. the pack def cant discharge fast enough but seems to regenerate life after u cut throttle for a bit.
but the 48v infineon controller and my thumb throttle cuts out like every 5 sec on the beat.
it seems like the LVC off is kicking into place around 45v?
SO anyway my genius fix yesterday was to put one more 12v in series to make a 60v pack at 5ah SLA.
this ran great and solved my problem of the early cutoff on throttle....BUT
that when the pack was only pushing 59v of current(not fully charged)

my question is. now that that pack is fully charged (since i charged it overnite) its now reading 65v?

ive read on quite a few of the forums around here that infineon controllers only run up to 60v

if i put the 65v on it could it smoke the controller, or is do you think the infineon 48v 30a can handle it?

you have not said how you know it is an infineon controller. it sounds like you bot a goldenmotor. do you know?

the LVC is printed on the cover if it is an infineon, or jsherrold controller that ampedbikes uses for the 9continents.

you are correct i am not sure what type of controller it is. its looks identical in size to an infineon but anyone could have used that heatsink shell

i just got done my first few videos on my bike project today and here are the vids so you can take a look at what im trying to do.
the controller has zero writing on it. nor did the entire kit come with one piece of paper with english instructions, im tryin.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AlV2MKhPrQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw9Zh1j-mCE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKIcC3ee7_w[/youtube]

i hope this helps.

just a regular VGA sized picture is fine. but sounds like you bot a 48V goldnmotor, does it have the new controller or the old one?

use VGA fine, that should use 150k and people can blow it up if needed.

I have a controller that looks like an infineon controller and mine does the same exact thing. If you find a fix, let me know.

I bet we have the same controllers. It's silver. right.

Yes, it should be able to handle 5 12v batteries, I run 60v on mine to get around the lvc problem too. I've been running mine at 60v for a months and it's fine.

The 5ah sla's are prolly saging quickly, causing the lvc. I have the same setup only with 12ah sla's and it ran fine.

I took the controller apart to find (15) 72 volt Fets and 63 volt caps, so I added a 5th battery.

It didn't like the hot off the charger volt surge @ 60v+, so I added a relay and switch so I could run on 48v for a bit to pull the peak volts down a tad, and then switch to overdrive (60v) :D, 400+ miles now...so far so good.

Bare in mind that if you continue to hit the 48v lvc when running @ 60v, your batteries won't like it.

ya its silver and i ran it once with 5 sla's and it was ok but the 54v im runnin now is workin good till my lifepo comes in the mail i think

altho i will probly be looking to beef up the controller soon mayb to 72v and get rid of the thumb throttle for a twist.

i find it hard to keep ur thumb steady on bumpy roads

and one else?

Back