Safe's Electric Bike Project #001

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fosters is a step up from Budweiser or Miller. In the spectrum of beers the best is micro-brewed traditional German beer (in my opinion) that has some character to it. The further down you go it gets more and more like water as they try to "not offend" anyone with their bland taste.

At Oktoberfest you can usually get some of the good traditional German beer. And I know from past Oktoberfests that the best custom meat makers show up there with their brauts. Doing the brauts correctly is another thing that America has had problems with. (they are supposed to be fairly light and not like a sausage... Americans like meats with too much fat in it)

So Oktoberfest is the one time per year where all things are "just right". :p

safe said:
Fosters is a step up from Budweiser or Miller. In the spectrum of beers the best is micro-brewed traditional German beer (in my opinion) that has some character to it.

I still speak to the first person i met when i got the internet Chad Hawks an mechanical engineer from Portland Oregon and EVERY TIME the conversation of beer comes up hes off about how good Oregon Microwbrews are hahaha I of course never agree but truth is i totally agree haha we have microbrews here and safe hit the nail on the head with the 'character' comment they are full bodied beer and far as beer goes IMO too very nice drop. /offtopic beer chat

AussieJester said:
...from Portland Oregon and EVERY TIME the conversation of beer comes up hes off about how good Oregon Microwbrews are hahaha I of course never agree
They seem to like a Pale Ale kind of twist in Oregon. I don't like the "bite" they seem to prefer and like the smoother classic style. I have family up in northern California and they are so obsessed with being "different" (in all ways) that the idea of traditional beer is a problem for them... they just have to screw it up to make themselves feel "special".

Overall their beer is still better than Budweiser or other fizzy American beers. Sometimes it's hard to tell if you are drinking an American beer or a Pepsi because of the excessive carbonation! :lol:

Breaking 55 mph

I finally got that "runt" cell replaced... just after crossing the 5,000 mile mark. All along that one cell was pure crap and was always dragging the set down. This new cell seems perfectly fine so far and on a ride this morning after already going 10 miles (so the batteries were not completely full) I was able to hit 54 mph on a downhill that I previously could only hit 52 mph. There is another downhill segment that I've hit 55 mph with the old stuff, so I'm going to recharge and give it a try later today. In the midwest a "downhill" might mean that you get a gentle downslope of about 50 feet, so it's not like a true downhill. (your motor still does most of the work) The conditions seem good in that the humidity is not too high and the air temp is good. My no load speed in sixth gear is 64.7 mph, so if I could get the aerodynamics on there (fairings) and a good battery setup I might get close to Lowells "infamous" 62 mph top speed. (he's still way ahead of me, but he used twice or three times the power) The peak power is at 48.5 mph, so I'm already past peak... so the power becomes less and less.

With some luck I'll break my 55 mph top speed today... :)

(full leathers, helmet, gloves and I think I'll wear my motorcycle racing boots on this one because this is dangerous stuff)

Update: The conditions totally changed. A wind picked up in the opposing direction of the fastest section I was planning to go on and it seems like that wind brought with it more heat and humidity. The headwind was gusting to about 10 mph. My top speed was barely over 52 mph. :cry:

Oh well... another day I guess...

It's possible that I might past my postings... I'm at 5,469 postings and nearing 5,100 miles... so that could be good. (an incentive not to post as much which for some will cause celebration :lol: )

safe said:
(an incentive not to post as much which for some will cause celebration :lol: )

::clinks glass full of champagne with TD :: hehe soz couldnt resist :p

Good luck with the 'assault' on the top speed safe, you think you have a better than good chance when you have the fairing on the bike while still using the current battery setup seeing you mention your peak power is ~48mph ? Doesn't say much for the accuracy of your spread sheets really does it? as your topping 55mph and all? You would be in 'downhill heaven' if you lived in my nexk of the woods safe we are totally opposite with no flat roads in sight will take some pics when i get out and about will make you much jealous LoL best of luck for a safe journey anywayz bud ;)

Another Try At 55 mph...

I've kind of forgotten if I actually got past 55 mph before (will have to backtrack through the thread because I might have hit 56 mph once) but I went for another try today and ended up right at 55 mph again. In order to improve on this I need a low humidity day that is also warm and with no wind or wind at my back when doing the run. At lot of "ifs" to all have at once.

The weather is about to turn (in a couple of hours) and the forecast for the next week places the temperature into the 60's to at best 80. The season looks to have only a couple of weeks left in it. Once it gets down into the 60's you can pretty much forget any performance related goals to be surpassed.

I've passed 5,100 miles and am now at 5,130 miles. :)

A cop was actually parked right across the street from where I hit 55 mph and he didn't do anything... so here in Missouri you have to do something pretty extreme for the police to even bother with you. :roll:

There is some serious doubt in my mind if I'll be able to put on enough miles to exceed my posts before the weather goes bad.

Since you cheat with something that's not an electric bicycle, you might as well go delete some of your posts. Otherwise you're a self proclaimed poser until late spring. The easiest way would be to delete the bulk of your future posts.

John

dictionary definitions of "bicycle"

from dictionary.com:
1. a vehicle with two wheels in tandem, usually propelled by pedals connected to the rear wheel by a chain, and having handlebars for steering and a saddlelike seat.

from american heritage dictionary:
2. A vehicle consisting of a light frame mounted on two wire-spoked wheels one behind the other and having a seat, handlebars for steering, brakes, and two pedals or a small motor by which it is driven.

from wordnet.com:
3. a wheeled vehicle that has two wheels and is moved by foot pedals

from websters revised unabridged dictionary:
4. A light vehicle having two wheels one behind the other. It has a saddle seat and is propelled by the rider's feet acting on cranks or levers.

==========

definition number 1 allows for a bicycle to not have foot pedals, as is indicated by the word, usually (usually propelled by pedals connected to the rear wheel by a chain)

definition number 2 allows for a bicycle to be propelled by either "two pedals OR a small motor by which it is driven"

If i am correct Missouri law allows for electric bicycles to be free of pedals which is why safes #1 project doesn't have pedals where as his "electric road racer" (or #3 design) does as he thinks it will be a marketable design and thus will needz to conform to other USA state laws...think thats the jist i got from it all anywayz

AussieJester said:
If i am correct Missouri law allows for electric bicycles to be free of pedals which is why safes #1 project doesn't have pedals where as his "electric road racer" (or #3 design) does as he thinks it will be a marketable design and thus will needz to conform to other USA state laws...think thats the jist i got from it all anywayz

No, the Federal definition requires functional pedals. The local jurisdictions regulate what vehicles are permitted on the roadways. It's not a bicycle by definition anywhere in the US, whether or not it is a vehicle permitted on the roadways in Missouri is irrelevant.

FWIW, Safe was calling it an e-motorcycle in some other forums. Once he got here and saw there's not a lot of action in that section of the forums, he decided to start calling it a bicycle.

John

John in CR said:
whether or not it is a vehicle permitted on the roadways in Missouri is irrelevant.

Not if you live in Missouri its not which is where safe lives ;-P Personally i think if it was anyone but safe building it nobody would give a ratz ( i have seen several people here that havent got pedals on their rides and dont get the treatment safe gets) but because it's safe he getz grief over it...and over it...annd over it... find something new to rag on him about I know i'm tired of hearing about it... big deal he hasn't got pedals on this version and calls it a e-bicycle...get over it already. Obviously he rubs alot here the wrong way (me included sometimes) at the very least he is having a ago, I would like to see half of the people here that continually shit on his ideas actually try getting their hands dirty building a bike from scratch...ooooh so easy to sit back in front of your PC and abuse the guy when half of you wouldnt know the right end of a screwdriver to use.. just my two cents shall sit back and wait to get flamed ...itz like water off a ducks back, but go ahead waste your time if it makes you feel better ;-P

Best of luck anywayz safe... :)

If safe confined himself to his e-whatevers and refrained from spooging in the rest of the boards he would get a bit more respect and there would be ~4000 less junk posts to wade through. :lol:

TylerDurden said:
If safe confined himself to his e-whatevers and refrained from spooging in the rest of the boards he would get a bit more respect and there would be ~4000 less junk posts to wade through. :lol:

Without doubt, but continuously picking on him in his own threads over the same issue gets tiresome IMO...

The Forgotten 65 Years...

There was a 65 year gap from 1820 to 1885 where the bicycle was simply "two wheels" before the advent of the "safety bicycle" that had pedals and a chain. So for people who actually care about truth there is no doubt that "bicycle" simply means two wheels. But truth and online politics can often be polar opposites.

I've been working on Project #003 while skipping #001 and #002 recently for the very reason to get my avatar changed to the "purity bike" that I'm going towards.

:arrow: Purity will happen... when I first started I didn't know what national ebike purity would look like and didn't even learn for about a year. So in time this issue will fade away.

For now I'm no less pure than 5000 watt hub motors!

Purity is an ideal... a bicycle is just two wheels.

safe said:
The Forgotten 65 Years...

There was a 65 year gap from 1820 to 1885 where the bicycle was simply "two wheels" before the advent of the "safety bicycle" that had pedals and a chain. So for people who actually care about truth there is no doubt that "bicycle" simply means two wheels. But truth and online politics can often be polar opposites.

I've been working on Project #003 while skipping #001 and #002 recently for the very reason to get my avatar changed to the "purity bike" that I'm going towards.

:arrow: Purity will happen... when I first started I didn't know what national ebike purity would look like and didn't even learn for about a year. So in time this issue will fade away.

For now I'm no less pure than 5000 watt hub motors!

Purity is an ideal... a bicycle is just two wheels.

Intellectual masturbation

...... and that's being generous..... :p

Miles said:
Intellectual masturbation

...... and that's being generous..... :p

it's how 'safe' has maintained his 'purity' all these years. :oops:

a bicycle without pedals is called a velocipede or a hobby horse.
loco-ly the legal definition of a bicycle don't care how many wheels it has & doesn't even mention pedals

http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/Regs/2002_304.cfm?frm_isbn=0779717082
“bicycle” includes any cycle propelled by human muscular power on which a person may ride regardless of the number of wheels that the cycle may have;

However for an ebike, while the # of wheels still don't matter, pedals do, & not just fake ones either.
So a power bicycle with pedals is ok but a power hobby horse is not.
If 'safe' wants to die on that hill of the # of wheels being of paramount importance over requiring pedals then he dies alone cuz no judge is gonna buy that argument.

John in CR said:
FWIW, Safe was calling it an e-motorcycle in some other forums. Once he got here and saw there's not a lot of action in that section of the forums, he decided to start calling it a bicycle.

waary intristing. :(

123.png

Uni, Bi, Tri, Kuklos !!!

The word "cycle" apparently comes from the Greek word "kuklos" that means "wheel".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel

123pw.png

The term "bike" is so vague that it can apply to any of the three (uni, bi, tri) cycles.

bike.png

http://www.thinkandthrive.com/kb/questions/130/How+can+I+use+ThinkBlocks+to+encourage+my+students+to+ask+and+answer+questions%3F

Before 1885 a "bicycle" had two wheels and was pushed by the legs on the ground. The "safety bicycle" revolutionized the concept of bicycle to include the advanced new "pedals and chain" innovation. Ever since then people have begun to associate the newer "safety bicycle" with the term bicycle. It's a good example of "language drift" where a words meaning changes with time. :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drift_(linguistics)

Your fighting a battle you cannot win my friend you would need to change your name before they let up safe (then it still wouldnt take long before they picked you LoL) YPedal has just finished another nice ride (kudos Ypedal top job BTW) it has no pedals not a single person gave him grief over it... move on with the project(s) mate short of a moderator actually doing there job this will continue on, tiz like watching a couple of 10 year olds argue :) ... stop "baiting" him fellas its not a sport :p

Best of luck

Small detail: Ypedal's bike started as a bike and other than the electric bits, is still a bike. Safe's bike never was and never will be. :lol:

TylerDurden said:
Small detail: Ypedal's bike started as a bike and other than the electric bits, is still a bike. Safe's bike never was and never will be. :lol:

"small detail" hahaa thats ripe all you have done is rag on safe for not having pedals..Does Ypedals ride have pedals? NO and according to the ramblings of the last several pages thats all seems to matter to you and your merry band of knockers..at least safes is legal in the state he lives...is YPedals? Of course it doesn't matter what I or anyone else says in safes defense its safe after all... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back