Saw my first Smart Car Today!

MarxNutz

1 mW
I saw a smart fortwo coming up the highway, and I backed off enough to get a good look as it passed me. That dern thing was flying along at about 65 to 70 mph! I was impressed, even though I am sure it was the gas version. I just wish they would bring the electric version to market and to USA.

I saw one the other day, too. A dark blue one doing about 55 down a main street.

I see them quite a bit in San Francisco. Are they making an electric one?

I've read that the American version of that tiny car is still only in the 40mpg range. Is that the case?

They are popping up all over the East bay here in the SF area-a real fashion statement at this point and time with high gas prices. At the price they are selling for, they are not a great deal though in my opinion, so I am not so sure how "smart" they really are at this point. I heard people aren't even getting 40 MPG with them, more like the mid 30's. Their current engine and transmission are both second rate, as well-especially the tranny that has gotten terrible reviews in the car mags. A Honda fit or Toyota Yaris is a lot more car for about the money and get just about the same MPG. Now if it was an electric car with good batteries, it would be a whole lot more interesting. They are cute though.

andys said:
They are popping up all over the East bay here in the SF area-a real fashion statement at this point and time with high gas prices. At the price they are selling for, they are not a great deal though in my opinion, so I am not so sure how "smart" they really are at this point. I heard people aren't even getting 40 MPG with them, more like the mid 30's. Their current engine and transmission are both second rate, as well-especially the tranny that has gotten terrible reviews in the car mags. A Honda fit or Toyota Yaris is a lot more car for about the money and get just about the same MPG. Now if it was an electric car with good batteries, it would be a whole lot more interesting. They are cute though.

My goddamned 1972 Peugeot 304 got 40 MPG highway and had front wheel drive and was a wonderful car. This is such total bullshit.

If thats true of the smart, thats terrible, I see them around here occasionally. My buddy's TDI jetta got over 50 on some hwy. trips.. and it weighed a hell of a lot more than the smart, or even my little car.

Shoot at my job the delivery truck with its little diesel is EPA rated 27/31, and real world does 25 combined, and it can haul up to a ton and a half no prob.

Imagine what a small turbo diesel could do in a light weight aero car.

Ok don't imagine:

http://archive.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2002/paris/preview/opel-ecospeedster/

To make matters worse, it burns premium fuel. I'd much rather have a Honda Fit because there aren't any half-sized parking spaces in CA where the fortwo would fit.

I did some checking today because I was curious. Seems like real world gas mileage for the US version smart car is about 36 MPG. The car LOOKS like it should get 50MPG though. My 1984 Honda CRX got that kind of mileage. What gets me, is some of the cars from the early 1990's, like the Geo metro, and the Honda Civic VX , got terrific mileage. Why are cars with nearly 15 years more technology getting less mileage? Maybe the weight of 8 air bags and all the other crap they are forced to stick in them to meet current regulations? Or just too many unneeded extra things, electric and computerized everything.

The Civic VX was up there in Hybrid territory-about 50 MPG,and it had good power and a very quiet solid and sporty ride. I tried to find one a couple of years ago, but they all either had 200,000 miles plus on them now, or teenagers had thrown away the original engine and wheels and put a racier motor in them. I would buy a new 1995 Honda Civic VX now if they would bring the exact car back. Read this owner review:he averaged 55 to 57mPG!!!

http://www.carsurvey.org/review_81422.html

andys wrote:
My 1984 Honda CRX got that kind of mileage.
everything andys said I second. My '88 CRX HF got 55 MPG at freeway speeds, and IMO was twice the car of the '84 - '87 CRX (had a '87 also).

How can anyone get so excited about a smaller car that gets poor mileage? Even my '02 Honda HX gets 40 to 45 MPG, and it has an automatic, seats 4 or 5 people (as long as the back seat guys are small), has a large trunk, and plenty of power.

The Smart is nothing more than a fad. We have had them in Canada for a few years. I used to work for benz at the time and the cars were only great for the first year and then they took a big dump. I could not figure out why anyone would want to pay $30-40k+ for a 2 seater with very little truck space. Not to mention that working on the motor is a bitch. To do almost any simple work you have to drop the motor. If you have big hands you got to remove the front bumper to change lights. Poor design. Oh yeah easy to flip over as well. All you need is two pretty strong guys. If this was like $10K I might see it differently.

Anyone read the test drive in Road and Track? Their conclusion, after driving Euro spec models, is the US spec is pretty awful. It is the smallest motor linked to an automatic. Manual transmissions just do not sell in the US.

I can confirm that Euro spec petrol engined Smarts get around 50 - 55mpg (equivalent to around 44 - 48 miles per US gal). The one to have for economy is the diesel, great performance and around 80mpg (around 70 miles per US gal).

They sell reasonably well here because they are relatively cheap to buy, cheap to insure and tax each year and can fit into the smallest parking spaces. I don't think people really buy them for their fuel economy, which isn't great as they are about as aerodynamic as half a house brick.

Jeremy

Okay, it's just cute! But if the gas mileage is twice or better than what I get now, it would be pretty much worth the 13k sticker price. Too bad it doesn't have a manual transmission in it, that would have a positive effect on the mileage. If I can get the driver cornered some time, I'll ask what gas mileage he's actually getting...

Try buying one for $13,000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Smart-Coupe-Smart-Passion-fortwo-Metallic-Blue_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ157077QQihZ018QQitemZ280250238431QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-SMART-CAR-FORTWO-PASSION-COUPE-TRIPLE-BLACK-SHARP_W0QQitemZ320279172227QQihZ011QQcategoryZ157077QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have a smart for 9 years now. we use it as a "second" car in my company because it is quite painful to do long trips. It consumes about 4L/km (sorry, how much is gallon 4,2 or 4,6 L) and 1 engine/5years :shock: ...top speed 140km/h.
Electric smart is out almost a year but it is toooooooooo expensive...

yeah, we have them as fleet cars as well. at first they were novelty cars for us, but I'd rather go for our regular fleet cars.

Couldn't get used to the fact that it was an automatic without a "Park" The emergency brake was the park. just like a standard.

andys said:
I did some checking today because I was curious. Seems like real world gas mileage for the US version smart car is about 36 MPG. The car LOOKS like it should get 50MPG though. My 1984 Honda CRX got that kind of mileage. What gets me, is some of the cars from the early 1990's, like the Geo metro, and the Honda Civic VX , got terrific mileage. Why are cars with nearly 15 years more technology getting less mileage? Maybe the weight of 8 air bags and all the other crap they are forced to stick in them to meet current regulations? Or just too many unneeded extra things, electric and computerized everything.

The Civic VX was up there in Hybrid territory-about 50 MPG,and it had good power and a very quiet solid and sporty ride. I tried to find one a couple of years ago, but they all either had 200,000 miles plus on them now, or teenagers had thrown away the original engine and wheels and put a racier motor in them. I would buy a new 1995 Honda Civic VX now if they would bring the exact car back. Read this owner review:he averaged 55 to 57mPG!!!

http://www.carsurvey.org/review_81422.html

Yeah...because of shit drivers, our cars are all required now to have extra crap in them to save our lives. Maybe if there were more cops on the highways pulling over these idiots who are texting and applying mascara while doing 80 mph, maybe we would not need the crap they add. In ten years in Dallas I have never once seen a state police cruiser on any highway here, ever. People here drive like they are ready to kill someone if they are running late.

dallasfoto said:
Yeah...because of shit drivers, our cars are all required now to have extra crap in them to save our lives. Maybe if there were more cops on the highways pulling over these idiots who are texting and applying mascara while doing 80 mph, maybe we would not need the crap they add. In ten years in Dallas I have never once seen a state police cruiser on any highway here, ever. People here drive like they are ready to kill someone if they are running late.
It would be laughable how stoopid people are, were it not for the danger they pose. I now drive 55mph as smugly as possible, just to piss em off. :twisted:

I got another 1980's VW diesel for someone this week... gets 50mpg, even while towing.

TylerDurden said:
dallasfoto said:
It would be laughable how stoopid people are, were it not for the danger they pose. I now drive 55mph as smugly as possible, just to piss em off. :twisted:

I got another 1980's VW diesel for someone this week... gets 50mpg, even while towing.

Very kewl. Have you ever tried the McD's used oil fuel? A neighbor in my old town used it very well. About 800 bucks for the "heater"...he had a pickup...in the rear bed...he said it heats the cleaned oil to 85 degrees or something like that. He had these giant coffee filters in his garage to filter out fish bits and potato things. McD's and Wendes were thrilled to see him every Saturday take away their used frying oil. Anyway he told me it took about an hour a week to make enough biodiesel for the week. Fuel was free. Had a pleasant smell of French fries at the back of the truck when running. I have heard the kids are buying used diesel Golfs and stealing the oil from the back of the restaurant.

dallasfoto said:
Very kewl. Have you ever tried the McD's used oil fuel? A neighbor in my old town used it very well. About 800 bucks for the "heater"...he had a pickup...in the rear bed...he said it heats the cleaned oil to 85 degrees or something like that. He had these giant coffee filters in his garage to filter out fish bits and potato things. McD's and Wendes were thrilled to see him every Saturday take away their used frying oil. Anyway he told me it took about an hour a week to make enough biodiesel for the week. Fuel was free. Had a pleasant smell of French fries at the back of the truck when running. I have heard the kids are buying used diesel Golfs and stealing the oil from the back of the restaurant.
All my diesels are converted (or in process) for WVO.

check-out http://www.frybrid.com :mrgreen:

:arrow: Mickey-Ds got wise and and are burning their own waste oil in their trucks... but there are other deep-fryers on every block of the country.

ty cohen said:
yeah, we have them as fleet cars as well. at first they were novelty cars for us, but I'd rather go for our regular fleet cars.

Couldn't get used to the fact that it was an automatic without a "Park" The emergency brake was the park. just like a standard.

I used to own a 1961 Corvair which came with no 'Park' only R, N, D and 1st gears. The shifter was a lever in the dashboard! It had a bad generator, so I would park where I could coast downhill, got up to about 20 - 25 mph and popped it into 1st gear. It would start every time! Ahhh, good times...

MarxNutz said:
I used to own a 1961 Corvair which came with no 'Park' only R, N, D and 1st gears. The shifter was a lever in the dashboard! It had a bad generator, so I would park where I could coast downhill, got up to about 20 - 25 mph and popped it into 1st gear. It would start every time! Ahhh, good times...

Yep in highschool back in the early 70's I had a friend who drove a Corvair,we used to go cruising around in it all the time, neat looking car I thought at the time...What a hoot .Lotza fun way back then.

Eric

andys said:
I heard people aren't even getting 40 MPG with them, more like the mid 30's. Their current engine and transmission are both second rate, as well-especially the tranny that has gotten terrible reviews in the car mags.

They've been here in Canada for quite a while. I know the older ones are all diesels and get 85 mpg Imperial, or about 68 mpg US. Real-world mileag with my 2003 Civic hybrid is 50-55 (US) in town, usually around 70 US if I'm on flat highway at 60 mph or 100 km/hr, down to a dismal :twisted: 45 mpg if I'm going up a lot of hills. So I'm getting the same mileage with a gas hybrid as a diesel Smart, plus I have more power and a back seat (and a trunk!).

Back