Security

Lots of techie options but what about simply covering bike with a full cover, secured with a couple stretch cords. This might have been mentioned earlier but it seems to follow the most common goal of just hiding stuff. Of course, you would lock it appropriately underneath but the vast number of thefts are crimes of opportunity so the thief will just keep scanning for the next visible and desirable target. It seems unlikely someone is going to actually stop and lift the cover to see what is underneath. Then again a thief might think there is something special but I'd bet most pass right by.

I had one of those non-remote ones. Completely unreliable and inconsistent- at times I could ride to the local supermarket and back leaving it switched on with not a peep out of it. At other times it would sound for no reason at all. Luckily it didn't last long.

alsmith said:
I had one of those non-remote ones. Completely unreliable and inconsistent- at times I could ride to the local supermarket and back leaving it switched on with not a peep out of it. At other times it would sound for no reason at all. Luckily it didn't last long.
Should of done a paypal dispute and got your money back, they probably deliberately sell dodgey ones cheapest on some sites just to get rid of them.

Interestingly I decided to look it up on fasttech.com as well and its there and its cheaper, man Fasttech crush all.
FT $9.03 http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10011157/1957306-yy-610a-electric-bike-bicycle-anti-theft-security
DX $10.36 ...see above..

Saw this today, super all in one GPS pedal that self chargers when you ride.

http://www.cnet.com/news/this-smart-pedal-turns-any-bike-into-a-smart-bike/
The Connected Cycle is a smart bike pedal equipped with GPS and GPRS sensors that are powered by cycling. As soon as your pedals move, the sensors track your activity so it acts as a basic fitness tracker, recording the speed, route, incline, and calories burned of every ride. That data is stored in a connected app that lets you view this activity over time. All the data is stored on the pedals themselves, you won't need to bring your smartphone with you to track this activity.
And since the pedals are always tracking location, they could even help you recover a stolen bike.

Having something discrete that never needs to have the battery replaced is probably the biggest problem with bike GPS gear, by putting it in the pedal I guess they solved this problem.

I installed that vibration wireless alarm into my battery pack. Wired it into the middle 2 cells for max 8.4 volts which is close to the 9volt battery it normally takes, tested it at 7volts and still works fine.
Considering the old one of these lasted almost a year I figure a total of 4Px2 18650 Samsung (8 cells total) should last a very long time if needed.

Link to the alarm gadget..
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10011157/1957306-yy-610a-electric-bike-bicycle-anti-theft-security

I pulled off the original casing, the bits that matter inside are comparatively tiny.
Here is a video testing it wired into the opened battery pack. I hesitated on deliberately vibrating it as the alarm is really loud and its late at night atm.

[youtube]278x4zyGdwg[/youtube]

Just make it butt ugly, my utility ebike is just that. My other ebikes rarely are left unattended.

Came across this youtube channel today.
https://www.youtube.com/user/bosnianbill/videos
Its a guy who just picks all sorts of locks for fun and videos it, there looks like 100s of videos hes done of slicing through locks like there were made of butter.
Really quite unsettling to watch really, can only really be thankful to show the world how vulnerable most locks are. :?

Here is one of his more helpful videos.
[youtube]nsJZ_kKjXcE[/youtube]

Will the sound of a shotgun scare the thieves away? A nifty security device that sets of a shotgun shell loaded with only gun powder.
A mind n ear numbing 150 dB blast when tripped. :twisted:

A small RC servo that get tripped by vibration/movement/alarm could be hooked up and set off the shotgun blast.

Back