Squeak Problem in New Side Covers for Crystalyte 4x Motors

Sacman

10 kW
I wanted to show this squeak problem I have with my Crystalyte hubmotor. It's a 406 with the new side covers that have the mounts for disc brakes. I separated the hubmotor from the rest of the wheel to show the squeak is isolated to the hubmotor only and wasn't coming from any loose or rubbing spokes or any other place on the outer wheel. And I took this video to help Crystalyte and Renaisance Bikes possibly refine their side cover design in the future.

After I made this video I pulled out the bearings, cleaned them up, re-packed them with good quality lithum grease, and pressed them back into place... but the squeak is still there. I pulled out the white plastic washer/spacer, put a thin layer of lithium grease on it and put it back on and the the squeak did go away but came back after 30 minutes of riding. :shock:

I haven't done it yet but I was planning to remove the white plastic washer/spacer again and use my dremel to remove some material from it's diameter so it's not rubbing against the aluminum side cover. Anyway, check out this video. Do any of you guys have this same problem and/or figured out a way to fix it? Do you guys have any other ideas? :?:

is it a bead of silicone? or is it an o-ring?

i think it was put there fro a little bit of waterproofing. if it is an o-ring try lubing it with some tire dressing spray.

of couse if is just some excess silicone seal just cut it away.

rick

It's a seal, I read somewhere that Crystalyte was making thier motors more water proof.
Perhaps the factory made the press fit too tight or the shaft too large for the seal size. Or, most likely the shaft is not smooth enough.
However it should seat itself in and stop squeeking when you add your silicone spray lube, hopefully.

Back