suitable load to discharge 36v Li-ion

jocoman

1 W
Hi
I have built a Li-ion 9.6 ah 36v pack and i would like to discharge it and time the process to see its capacity.
Any ideas for a suitable load that would draw 1 or 2 amps?
Txs

I use an old hotplate that pulls about 3.5 amps at 36 volts.
otherDoc

three 50w halogen bulbs in series.

The voltage will however, vary as the batteries gradually get drained.
But you could hook up a turnigy watt meter ( or equivalent device ) to get an idea of how much amp hours were drawn.

12V, like the little MR16 types used for headlights, track lighting, etc.

If you have an old-style electric stove with removable (for cleaning) burners, they make decent discharge loads. See my Vpower repair thread for pictures.

jocoman said:
what voltage should the halogens that i hook up in series be?

They only come in 12v.
When you hook the 3 halogens in series, they essentially become one big 36v bulb.

( insert long explanation and electrical theory here..... but this works for me, and the bulbs were cheap anyway. )

i have an extension cord with some anderson connectors soldered to the male plug. i use the oil bath space heaters and a resistance core nichrome wire element type heater and then i can plug in one or two or three heaters at once.

it works ok, then you just run the current through the watt meter and keep track of the cell voltages. make sure it is balanced at the top and you can keep track of the numbers at the end as a health record for your pack. to compare it later. stop when the first cell gets to 2.1V and use that as the capacity of the pack. you can actually see which cell is second by using a single cell charger on the cell that was first, charge it up a little so it is safe and then see which is the second cell to hit 2.1V and use the cumulative capacity for that one, and so on through the pack. but gotta start from 3.65V/cell.

Sounds like a bit more than a 1 - 2 amp load to me.... :shock:

Back