Sun Atlas Cargo Build

012.jpgI've been working in a bike shop for the last few years building e-bikes. Built my first e-bike 2008 and never looked back. 50,000 miles or more later I still love it and have stayed committed. Just finished my second year in college seeking a E.E. degree which means I haven't learned a darn thing yet...but someday. The Atlas Cargo was purchased through the Sun dealer at our shop and was the last root beer brown one available at the time. In fact the box says blue-gray so I am wondering if they even made any more of them. Paid wholesale price for it, a price I wasn't even supposed to disclose (per my Sun dealer). I wanted a bike big enough to be comfortable and carry enough battery to go cross-country. The Atlas fills those criteria. So the build was on.
In the beginning I was going to put the X-5 5304 4840 with the Lyens controller but I got a hall sensor bad I believe. So I figured I would put an e-bike kit motor on since I am a dealer and I am on the road trying to sell their kits now. So here's a picture of the X-5 still on and the e-bike kit.

004.jpgThe Atlas comes bone stock. Pretty much bottom line components. The frame is pretty nicely done (welds are what you can expect from Taiwan) and what attracted me to the Atlas in the first place. I'd say the rear wheel is the one thing I really like and didn't replace, nice and wide with 48 spokes. I also kept (for now) the three piece cranks and platform pedals. I replaced the entire brake and shifting system.. I love rapid fire shift/ brake combos. The steel rack is pretty stout and I had to keep it. I actually drove it bone stock for 150 miles or so, no motor and it was acceptable.

I am getting the file too big message. What's the trick? I forget...I got a ton of pics.

you need to use a program that will convert the size of the file or image resolution. A cheap free easy one is
www.imageoptimizer.net

or you can also upload them to Facebook and then resave them to your computer from your Facebook wall and they will be a smaller size/reduced quality

Long time no see Crash. Good to hear you are doing well. Could be worse, imagine how little they taught me in the Agriculture school.

They did teach me observation and problem solving though. 8) What an advantage I had over the GED guys on construction crews. High School just teaches you to line up and shut up.

You my friend, need to get a wire feed welder and start building cargo bikes. Have you seen my thread? I'm starting to do some very long rides again, thanks to the cargo bike's ability to carry 45 ah of battery.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28389&hilit=bouncing+betty

I just put pics into Microsoft paint, reduce their size, and then name them so I save the original and the resized version with a name.

facebook pics.jpgBeautiful build Dogman...really cool. I was going to add an extracycle kit to the blackcomb but ran across the Atlas. Here's a better pic of it with just the X-5.

So my next move was to build running boards so I could mount motorcycle hard panniers for my batteries. I have never truly been able to lock and waterproof my batteries on other bikes. I didn't want xtracycle running boards anybody can get those. I was looking for an old vintage motorcycle feel. I wanted the support bars to look like part of the frame. The tubes are the same size as 3/4 conduit. but I had to make a sleeve to fit inside. I took a 5 inch piece of conduit and cut a slit in it. Then slide inside the frame tubes. Painted black they look like a continuation of the frame or rack.

Here's a pic of the supports...and a first look at the boxes.fb26.jpg

I hope I am not overposting or something but I am just trying to show how the build in order so if someone wants to use the idea. xtracycle running boards are 150 bucks. my next thing was to figure out what wood to use. I looked at different stuff but in the end white oak stain grade 1/2 inch plywood is what I settled on. I wanted the grain but planned on staining it dark. I made sure to cut out just enough for the shifter to be adjusted and the wheels to be removed which was only necessary on the shifter side anyways.fb8.jpg

My next priority was to stain and varnish those running boards. I used spar varnish because it doesn't yellow in the sun like polyurethane. I just happened to be stainin a bunch of ceiling very dark so the material was free. Also notice the Avid 200mm bb7 disc brakes, they work fine with the mounts something I was worried about. fb7.jpg

Oh yeah, the hard motorcycle bags were what I wanted all along for my bike. I could afford used soft bags, but the capacity of them was disappointing. Pretty clear why somebody took them off the hog, to get bigger ones.

Now I'm real happy with my mega panniers. They do catch some serious wind drag, but I can carry an awful lot.

Looks beautiful. Nice to have a strong motor on it. My 5304 barely warms up going up huge hills. And it looks like a 5305 may be coming my way.

Nice build.

What are your thoughts about your front forks? Are the existing ones solid steel, and if so, will you keep them?

I been on the road...had some trials and tribulations so we are just using it as a support vehicle. The front forks are tough, comparable with the Surly Instigator fork. Very straight fork with no rake but tough. I will post pics of the completed project this evening. Long live the Sphere...

Here are some pics of the completed bike...

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 2,266
fb23.jpgAnd another...

Back