• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Throttle gives more power than PAS, why?

C.B.

1 mW
I’m running a new rig; a Q100 with a bog standard integrated controller you get with the classic frame battery. https://bmsbattery.com/controller/698-16567-sine-wave-controller-for-09-case-controller.html#/42-voltage-36v/137-color-black

It rather baffled me somewhat yesterday when I noticed that by engaging the thumb throttle, it increases the power output. Slightly. Enough to be noticed. I’d pedal along on pedal assist, and if I gave the thumb throttle some welly, the top speed would creep up somewhat.
Same thing showed on the display(lcd3) where output figures are presented. On a flat and windless road it would give off around 120 watts to maintain top speed, and if I put the throttle on, it would add roughly 100 extra watts, making it around 220.

Any ideas why this should be?

It's fairly common for controllers to be programmed to give full power on throttle and lower power on PAS. My Magnum Metro and Greenbike fat tire folder both do that. You should be able to change that parameter in the controller, but I don't have any experience with that. Personally, I prefer it this way.

If you are using a controller mated with the LCD3 display, you may want to adjust the C3 parameter. It's adjustable from 0-6.

https://www.bizobike.com/uploads/5/7/0/9/57094291/handleiding-bizobike-kt-lcd3.pdf

C3 controls the "level" or strength of the PAS function. I suspect the factory set this up on level 4 or 5, maybe even lower.

On level 6, the PAS output should be equal with 100% throttle.

Avoid changing any other settings.

Aah, I see..! Sterling answers, thank you!
Odd thing though, it was already set at the highest level.
But not only that, level 6 was represented as an 8.
It went from 0-5 then skipped 6 and 7.
Presumably just a bug.
Anyhow, there seems to be some other explanation lurking.

Further suggestions?

Back