Thumb Throttle Arthritis - Wilderness Energy

jerryt

100 W
I've been riding my W/E about 1 or 2 hours daily and can't find a good way to operate the thumb throttle without a lot of discomfort.
I've adjusted it to use my finger and another way to use base of thumb. (Left hand has Uncle Arther also).
W/E doesn't offer a twist grip and I'm hoping someone knows if a different brand will work.

Cruise control switch?

kbarrett said:
Cruise control switch?
How is the throttle/cruise control operated? Is it just a variable resistor?

I'm wondering if I could build a DIY cruise control, or even just a button which is equal to full throttle.

You could get a CycleAnalyist that has the cruise control function. That would be the fancy approach.

Otherwise, yes, you could simply wire up a switch that gives full throttle or a switch and a potentiometer that you can adjust the cruise speed.
See:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=382&highlight=cruise+control

Keep in mind that you want to be able to kill the throttle quickly in the event of a panic stop.

I thought about adding one of those microswiches with the long lever in front of the grip that's very easy to hold down, but you would automatically let go of when you went for the brakes.

Bit basic, but I also use a thumb throttle, and have it up against the hand grip, so as to provide some resistance to the the thumb throttle returning.
Means I can cruise without having my hands anywhere near the throttle.
Possible solution for you?

I too have arthritis, pretty much everywhere. I found the half throttle a lot easier. I dislocated my thumb about six months ago on a thumb throttle.

But fortunatley, as the thumb doesn't have any cartilige, it poped back in straight away :oops:

I am in the process, for the last six months, of taking the return spring out and allowing it to be moved back and forth freely, with just a small about of resistance, to control speed. It will have an overide cutoff switch too.

Another project sitting under the bench half finished :(

Thanks to all who responded.
I also posted at power assist @ yahoo and someone else recommended to remove the spring which I will do. They also noted that a C'lyte might work.
Chopperman: sorry to hear of your plight. Hope the reworked throttle works for you. I'' be watching to see how the cruise contro, works for you.
Heres a pic if anyone else wants to comment.

Attachments

• Wilderness Connector.jpg
    Wilderness Connector.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,905
I asked Ken @ http://www.itselectric.ca/index.html if a C'lyte throttle is compatible with a Wilderness Energy controller. He tested and sent this reply (condensed and clipped)

I made a test wire last night. It is working perfect! Now you have access
to all of the Crystalyte throttle. There are more then 20 differ models

I'm gonna order a C'lyte from Ken. Can half twist be used with my existing grips?

the throttles come in matching sets, you get a half grip to match the twist throttle, and another grip for the other side of the bars.

To remove a grip use compressed air and blow into the end of the bar.. the grip will pop right off.. ( A tire pump works in a pinch but is a 2 man job )

Thanx Ypedal; and I guess the same is for the half twist which (believe) you recommend?
So much for my fancy Bontrangers

Hi Jerry,

I'm a little late in this discussion but until your half twist comes, you can rotate your thumb throttle so that you can pull it up with your index finger instead of pushing down with your thumb. I did this with my crystalyte kit and while it sounds odd, it works. My whole hand got sore using the thumb throttle. After I rotated it around, it wasn't a problem. It's a little strange to pull up with your index finger but you get used to it quickly and you don't have any soreness.

j'doh

Jondoh,
Thank you for that suggestion. I did it that way for a little while but may not have set it properly. I may try it again with a little tweeking to get it right.

Back