Tires - Balloon/Urban type

I'm a bit late to this thread but I'm running 1.75" Schwalbe Marathons anyone know how these compare to the Big Apple's?

Greg

For hard riding (paved mountain roads) , fast (20 - 40mph) I really like Maxxis Hookworms 26 X 2.5 at fifty lbs they give me suspension, still roll well and can be lowered more for more suspension without the 'wrinkling' side wall mentioned above.

As much as I like these they are HUGE (2.5) and I'm looking forward to trying Big Apples (2.35) on my other ebike (C-lyte 5304 rear/Montague)

Thanks,
Al
M750X

gwsaltspring said:
I'm a bit late to this thread but I'm running 1.75" Schwalbe Marathons anyone know how these compare to the Big Apple's?

Greg

Schwalbe has a good site where you can at least look up what THEY say are the differences. Schwalbe road tires

I've read that the Marathons are the extreme trekking tires that are pretty bulletproof and last forever. It's my understanding that the Big Apples are great tires but are more aimed at comfort. Not sure myself but I am getting some big apples in the mail to help cushion my 40 lbs of SLAs.

I was back at the bike shop where I got my Marathon 308's on the weekend and they suggested that I might like to go with a 2" 308 next time for the extra comfort.

They had the big apples for sale but seemed to prefer the 308's. These guys are into Bionx systems so I would tend to think they might have some insight into tires for E-bikes.

As an aside they felt that the Hookworms didn't stand up as well as the Marathons or Big Apples on an e-bike, but then again that could just be home town bias.

Greg

D-Man said:
Liberator - Let us know how the big apples work with the sla's.

Just got them in a couple of days ago and will put at least the rear one on Saturday. I bought the 2.00 inch size and it sure looks skinny (like was mentioned earlier in this thread) but I'll give it a shot. I'm keen to try this "tire suspension" thing Schwalbe talks about. If that had come from another tire maker I might think it was marketing crap but from a company that makes tires that long distance tourists swear by I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Well I just took a test ride with the Big Apple 2.00 on the rear and all I can say is WOW! What a huge difference! Nice and fast, stable, and most importantly the suspension thing really works. I intentionally hit bumps and manhole covers that would usually make my SLAs bounce on my rear rack and damned if they didn't just sit there as if nothing had happened. BTW, had them pumped up to 50 lbs (range 30-70 lbs)

I think Mathurin really summed up this tire on the first page of this thread. I was even comfortable throwing it into a corner with this tire on the rear but yes, one might think about getting the larger size as they certainly look even a little skinnier than the 1.9 tire I took off.

Never really liked the white wall look but I suppose it goes with my bike since it' silver. Anyway, I look like a huge dork riding this with my work clothes and my helmet so what's a little reflective strip gonna hurt. :) I suppose you could always get a black marker and color it in if you hated it but I also appreciate the reflective qualities of the strip. It really stands out at night when even the slightest bit of light hits it.

All in all I'm completely amazed at the feel of this tire with its built-in "suspension". You'd think that to achieve that sort of comfort the tire would naturally really drag but this thing feels like it flies even at normal pressures. They must have some damned good engineers over there at Schwalbe. And, no, I don't work for them or get paid by them I've just always wanted to try their tires and read about them often.

Cool. You going to put the front one on? Do you have a picture of your bike?

D-Man said:
Cool. You going to put the front one on? Do you have a picture of your bike?

Yeah, I'll probably put the front one on too after I get commuting rides out of it and see how it does. No good pictures of my bike but I'll take one this weekend. It's a 48V front hub 5303. The base bike is a Trek pure. Makes for a nice commuter and errand bike since it has such relaxed geometry.
pure_silver.jpg

That's a cool looking bike.

I was just adjusting the pressure again on my tires. Lowered it some more. Its now 14/24 psi F/R. This is the lowest setting possible before wrinkling is observed just going down the road. It wrinkles on braking and bigger bumps but I don't care. I doubt if they will blow but who knows. They get a little warm after a drive. There is noticable nose dive when hitting the brakes as the tires are becoming suspension. One other thing, the handle bars shake quite a bit if you let go of them while going down the road. Probably because they are too big for the rims and running below recommended pressure. :)

Edit: went back to 16/26 psi.

You could ride in the sand dunes, 'cept your motor is as weak as your [insert insult] :)

I get very nice suspension from my 26x2.5 Maxxis Hookworms at 50 lbs fr & rear. I have suspension forks but my hard tail can hit bumps & small pot holes with a jolt on smaller tires. With my hookworms I'm unshaken even in a corner. If my roads got rougher I'd take the Hookworms down to 45 and get even more cush. I wish I could try Big Apples too but I looove the Hookworms so much. Thanks guys -- I got the idea off this thread.

02602.JPG

02606.JPG

These are 24" x 3" tires. The quality is "okay" and they are cheap.

Basically with these tires you have nearly the exact same diameter and width as a small motorcycle tire. It's a good size... I just wish it was more popular...

The outside diameter is the same as a 26" tire, so in theory you could put one on a 26" bike, but the width makes clearance difficult if you don't have a custom frame. They invented them for chopper bikes.

Here is the 2.0 Big apple shape.

Another shot.

Final Comments: Unless airred down to low pressure, this tire is just as hard as any other. It does do a good job taking out the bumps at really low pressure but you loose the rolling resistence. The pointy shape gives it low rolling resistance only at higher pressures. I suspect that even the 2.35 will not roll good at low pressure also because it has the pointy shape too. The tire is very quiet on the road. The Big Hank 2.2 slick tire is much faster at low pressure then this thing. I may switch back to the Big Hank tire but will try these for awhile.

Those Shwalbe's look very similar to the Maxxis Overdrive tyres,

Back