• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Totally new unused Ezee 350 geared hub motor spins but won't engage the wheel.

s1dewinder

1 mW
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H2uG2YsI-Vr6bjcq2Dt5tyePaFFEUGsK/

My Ezee 350 geared hub motor is new from ebikes.ca. It will accept throttle, but will not drive my wheel. I replaced the anderson powerpole and jst-sm connectors on it. All of the external connections are secure and not shorted. I already tried changing the configuration of my phase wires.

I have no idea what the issue is and ebikes.ca is busy and has not replied to my email questions.

This motor is totally new and has never worked. Please help.

wineboyrider said:
What controller?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000867752267.html

the controller from this listing. Which, I believe is this controller:

http://m.powerfulelectricbike.com/sale-8706044-60-amp-72v-electric-bike-controller-electrical-bicycle-controller-for-cycle-analyst.html

Holy crap that controller will kill your 350w motor. 72v x 60 amps is 4320 w, enough to brake your motor almost instantly... LOL But, I think it's the hall wires and phase wires. It doesn't look like a sensorless controller. There is a tool you can buy to find the right hall and phase wire combination.

wineboyrider said:
Holy crap that controller will kill your 350w motor. 72v x 60 amps is 4320 w, enough to brake your motor almost instantly... LOL But, I think it's the hall wires and phase wires. It doesn't look like a sensorless controller. There is a tool you can buy to find the right hall and phase wire combination.

https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/motors/rear/mezee350rc.html

The motor is rated for 500w-1000w. "350" in this moniker refers to 350rpm, you can look it up on ebikes.ca. Also, I have limited to 25A and only 40% throttle via the SW900 display. That's 20.8V*25A=520W. I am within the power range and have never driven the motor with more than small pulses of throttle like in the video, which means the motor has never been operated anywhere near it's power limit. The Ezee 350 is often sold in kits with 25A controllers.

Will you help me understand this tool you're talking about?

Hwy89 said:
Geared motor running in reverse? Revisit the phase and hall configurations.

It is not running in reverse. I have attempted different phase combinations, but have not tried different hall sensor combinations. Do I need to be swapping my hall sensors in sync with my phase wires? I admit I am inexperienced.

Usually the phase wires stay matched and the halls are swapped around to find the correct combo.
A geared motor in reverse spins but the clutch won’t engage so it acts and sounds just like your video.

Attachments

• 238188A8-1DB1-4284-BCA8-0A9B9F7A20AC.jpeg
    238188A8-1DB1-4284-BCA8-0A9B9F7A20AC.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 398
Hwy89 said:
Usually the phase wires stay matched and the halls are swapped around to find the correct combo.
A geared motor in reverse spins but the clutch won’t engage so it acts and sounds just like your video.

Thank you very much for this guidance. I will let you know my results.

Hwy89 said:

It works great. You have blessed me with wisdom. This flowchart fixed my issue easily.

s1dewinder said:
Hwy89 said:

It works great. You have blessed me with wisdom. This flowchart fixed my issue easily.
Glad you figured it out. Not trying to mix you up, but back in the day Lyen controllers had a yellow and green wire that were different on other controllers. And I have heard of some controllers having weird or wrong colored hall wires. I guess the chinese finally standardized it?

Back