TSDZ2 OSF for all displays, VLCD5-VLCD6-XH18, LCD3, 860C-850C-SW102.

Piper J3 said:
...ordered LM35DZ .... sent me .... TMP36. ....output F instead of C per spec. ....
TMP36 and LM35 measures both °C, but with a different calculation.
- TMP36: (mV-500)/10 =°C
- LM35: mV/10 =°C

Piper J3 said:
I ordered LM35DZ from Mouser and they sent me SEN-10988 which is a TMP36. All the LM35 I ordered from Amazon appear shorted and get hot when connected to 6V. The new TMP36's (qty -5) all seem to work, but output F instead of C per spec. I called Mouser tech support and they don't have explanation. TSDZ2 OSF is looking for temp in C, so my displayed value is way too high. See my latest post in the Temp Hardware Thread…. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=102046&p=1741654#p1741654
Elinx has already answered you, the scale is in °C, but 0 Volts = -50°C instead of the 0°C of LM35.
Just introduce an offset in the firmware, I can send you a modified version to try.
There is to flash motor and display.

SYOTR said:
Elinx said:
SYOTR said:
... "Cannot connect with the tool. .... Any ideas?
It could be that the pins on PCB are different from what is printed on the aluminium housing.
If it is possible to shift the housing a bit you can compare.
Also use 3.3V instead of 5V could help.
Thanks, I checked the label on the case with the markings on the board and they match. I also tried using a different computer, installed driver, visual programmer and the plugged in the StLink V2. Same error. I think the device is defective. It does not show up in device manager when plugged in. From reading reviews, it seems a high percentage of these are defective. I have ordered a different one.
Received a new STLink V2 and I am still not able to read the existing firmware from the TSDZ2. At least the new StLink is recognized by the computer and shows it is working in device manager. I have checked all connections with a meter. Here is the error message:

Attachments

• prog error.jpg
    prog error.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,043
SYOTR said:
SYOTR said:
Elinx said:
SYOTR said:
... "Cannot connect with the tool. .... Any ideas?
It could be that the pins on PCB are different from what is printed on the aluminium housing.
If it is possible to shift the housing a bit you can compare.
Also use 3.3V instead of 5V could help.
Thanks, I checked the label on the case with the markings on the board and they match. I also tried using a different computer, installed driver, visual programmer and the plugged in the StLink V2. Same error. I think the device is defective. It does not show up in device manager when plugged in. From reading reviews, it seems a high percentage of these are defective. I have ordered a different one.
Received a new STLink V2 and I am still not able to read the existing firmware from the TSDZ2. At least the new StLink is recognized by the computer and shows it is working in device manager. I have checked all connections with a meter. Here is the error message:
Never mind. I got it working by switching to the 3v pin instead of 5v pin. Thanks

My osf with 860c runs for 8 seconds , then no power. Reboot, another 8 secs.
Checked all connectors, battery etc.
Anyone know what is ghoing on?

Thanks for the great software. I've used it on a few motors with great success.

I see someone mentioned the VLCD6 not showing SOC on startup.
This is caused because the VLCD6 starts in TOUR level, but the SW assumes the display starts in ECO level (as most other displays seem to), so detects TOUR level as a level change, and cancels displaying the data.
The fix is to set the ui8_assist_level_temp to the first mode received when ui8_display_ready_flag is 0.

I've also been using the 500C display.
This display doesn't handle large increases in the speed so displays 0 instead of battery SOC, say (probably an internal IIR filter overflow or something like that).
The fix is to limit speed increase to no more the 15kph per message update (it falls over at 20) - simple filter in uart_send_packet.

Supra said:
Display and motor are new or have you used them before with OSF?
If the display goes off after a few seconds, it could be the BMS of the battery that intervenes because it senses an overload or an unbalancing of the cells.
Try measuring the battery voltage.

No not new, ive been using the display and motor with osf for about 4 months, no problems.
Suddenly this proboem of running for 10 seconds and then no power, display is still on, but no assist. Display says assist is still on, in emtb mode.
Could it be the controller?

mbrusa said:
Supra said:
Display and motor are new or have you used them before with OSF?
If the display goes off after a few seconds, it could be the BMS of the battery that intervenes because it senses an overload or an unbalancing of the cells.
Try measuring the battery voltage.
I had interpreted that the display went off.
If it stays on and gives no assistance, that's another matter.

After 8 seconds, is there no error message on the bottom screen?
It could be "e 8 Speed Fault".
Faulty speed sensor or magnet too far away.

Try enabling "Assist with error" in the "Various" menu.
If it works it is confirmation that you have a problem with a sensor.

ok update the new 860c are Flashable but with custom bootloader, I believed the apt bootloader has a lock memory.

Attachments

• IMG_20221207_181812.jpg
    IMG_20221207_181812.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 838
  • IMG_20221207_183126.jpg
    IMG_20221207_183126.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 838
powerpedal said:
Hello mbrussa your firmwares dev are awesome‼️ we want to donate or help in a small way as im selling it here in the philippines, my 3rd batch of motors just arrived its just the new 860c cant reflash using apt bootloader. Hoping theres a work away around. pls send me your paypal as well😁 ty
dameri said:
mbrusa said:
Bad news.
So now, in addition to the new LCD3 and P850C, the new P860C are also non-flashable :?

OMG. I like P860C display but it can suddenly break. So maybe it's time to buy a few for storage.
Alright, so false alarm, they're still flashable :D

mbrusa said:
powerpedal said:
Hello mbrussa your firmwares dev are awesome‼️ we want to donate or help in a small way as im selling it here in the philippines, my 3rd batch of motors just arrived its just the new 860c cant reflash using apt bootloader. Hoping theres a work away around. pls send me your paypal as well😁 ty
dameri said:
mbrusa said:
Bad news.
So now, in addition to the new LCD3 and P850C, the new P860C are also non-flashable :?

OMG. I like P860C display but it can suddenly break. So maybe it's time to buy a few for storage.
Alright, so false alarm, they're still flashable :D

Good news, thanks.

I've configured with a 16A on 48V and FOC enabled. Normally ride in Power Assist, but I took a stab at changing it on the fly, and believe I had it in EMTB mode, Level 3, two pushes of the light.

Riding about 12 mph in level 2, level ground for 8 miles. Ambient temperature of 8C, 40F. Chilly. I approached a small rise, and realized I had no assist and no throttle. Speedometer working, Pulled over to restart the controller, but it didn't. Took maybe four restarts and it powered up. Rode another 10 miles w/o incident.

Is it possible I overheated? I've done this route hundreds of times on other bikes, mostly hub motors, and I know I'm only pulling 100-120 watts at 36V on them.

By the way, when I had a wattmeter between the TSDZ2 and battery, I never saw peak amps go above 13A in Power Assist mode, even with 16A in the configurator. I guess I would go check that assertion in EMTB, except it's 0C.

I believe eMTB has nothing to do with it.
Why do you think the engine has overheated?
If the temperature sensor is not installed, the assist is not limited or stopped.
Up to v20.1C.2-update-1 there were cases of loss of support due to communication problems between the display and the controller. Usually, however, it was enough to turn it off and on again.
What version are you using?
With v20.1C.2-update-2, this problem is fixed.
There is no official release yet, I have to try two pull requests first that concern the Java configurator.
It is however available as a Master version:
https://github.com/emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-1/archive/refs/heads/master.zip

mbrusa said:
I believe eMTB has nothing to do with it.
Why do you think the engine has overheated?
If the temperature sensor is not installed, the assist is not limited or stopped.
Up to v20.1C.2-update-1 there were cases of loss of support due to communication problems between the display and the controller. Usually, however, it was enough to turn it off and on again.
What version are you using?
With v20.1C.2-update-2, this problem is fixed.
There is no official release yet, I have to try two pull requests first that concern the Java configurator.
It is however available as a Master version:
https://github.com/emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-1/archive/refs/heads/master.zip

I figured it was a glitch, but I was reading thru this long thread yesterday and there were some reports of overheating around 8 months ago. so the topic got into my mind.

I know long slogs uphill, lugging the motor, will overheat them, but there are no such things on my daily route. Thank you for your answers.

I am using V20.1C.2.update-1.

I installed a TSDZ2 on my son's bike about 3 months ago and all was working great. All of a sudden he noted that the power was not kicking in and when I looked at the screen is hung on "Error brakes or comms." I unplugged and replugged in each of the connectors (it's a simple set up with no brake sensors) and still get the same hang on that "Error brakes or comms" screen. Anyone have any ideas about what is going on? Unfortunately I purchased the set up from a store pretty far away, although I am in the LA area and am sure I can find someone who I can take it to if needed. But hoping to learn if there is something straightforward I should try...

"Error brakes or comms"
This is a communication problem between the motor controller and the display, it may be due to a wiring problem or the brake sensors being closed when the display was turned on.

If it has always worked and you have already checked the connectors, it could be a display failure.
It can happen if you disconnect the battery without turning off the display.
Controller failure less likely.

Thank you. No throttle or brake wiring on this one since I had it programmed to really be pedal assist only like an emtn bike where we dont use brake sensors. Bummer if he fried the display. Any easy way to test that it is the display? I have access to some electrical engineers at my brother's company but am thinking it may just be that I buy a new display (potentially easier and not very expensive).

With the latest master version for stock displays everything seems ok, I have not had any reports of malfunctions.
So official release, updated link in signature.

Also updated the version for 860C, v20.1C.4-2.
These are the changes:
1 - Improved Walk assist speed adjustment.
2 - Added legal throttle, only works when pedaling, in street mode.
3 - Added legal cruise, only works when pedaling, in street mode.
4 - Added full battery charge cycles counter.
5 - Added distance and hour counters, for maintenance warning (Service A and B).
20221231_094457_2.jpg
20221231_094534_2.jpg
20221227_151455_2.jpg

Hi All,

I've been using tsdz2 with 850c display for a few weeks. I've tried installing OSF but not having any luck installing it on the display (as detailed in https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=98281&start=1875#p1744293 and https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=98281&start=1875#p1744311 ). I'm a bit reluctant to keep spending money on components with the hope that something will work.

I'm wondering - what happens if you install mbrusa's OSF version for "vlcd2-vlcd6-xh18" (which to my understanding doesn't modify display) when you actually have the 850c display connected - will it turn on and work in some manner? All I'm really after is sine wave, high cadence, and the standard speed & battery % display...

kiwinigma said:
I've been using tsdz2 with 850c display for a few weeks. I've tried installing OSF but not having any luck installing it on the display ...

I'm wondering - what happens if you install mbrusa's OSF version for "vlcd2-vlcd6-xh18"....
It depends with which firmware the 850C did run before.
There are more versions of the 850C display
- one that runs with stock Tongsheng FW, which isn't flashable
- one that run with stock Bafang FW, which isn't flashable
- one that run with stock Bafang FW, which is flashable

Only the first version can run OSF for stock display Vlcd5, Vlcd6,XH18
The second can only run with Bafang
The third can be flashed for OSF for 850C-860C-SW102, but almost isn't findable anymore

So the question is.... How did run the 850C for a few weeks before?
Have you another display with your tsdz2 and have you flashed the controller already?

I bought a TSDZ2 and 860C (with OSF) from Cycles.eco, and after a successful test ride it went into a perpectual "Wait TSDZ2" state. I tried the display on my other (known good) TSDZ2 bike, with the same results. I've built a bootloader box with power supply, and I'm trying to re-flash the display according to their tutorial [1].

I was successful once, but I used a firmware version that didn't match what was on my controller. I'm trying again, and I now find that a short-press (even just a click) of the power button (usually) causes the display to boot up, rather than accept a flash from the APT burn tool. Sometimes it doesn't boot... but it still doesn't flash.

Is my PL voltage too low at 27.5V? Problems from my cheap FT232R clone 3.3V USB-UART board? Have I somehow burned the comm circuit in my display? Thanks for any advice if you've seen this behaviour!

1. https://cycles.eco/blogs/eco-cycles...en-source-firmware-bootloader-update-tutorial

Let's start with the first problem.
If the system worked and then without changing anything "Wait TSDZ2" appeared, the display probably failed.
Did you perhaps disconnect the battery with the display on? 860C doesn't like this.
The first thing to check is the voltage between Vin and GND, with the display on and connected to the motor, there must be the same voltage as the battery.
If it's not there, that's the problem, so either replace the display or put an external switch, to be turned on after the display.

For flashing it is more difficult to understand what the problem is.
27.5V voltage should be fine, try 30V if you can.
Pressing the button must be very very short, otherwise the display will turn on.
When the flashing fails, you have to try to reverse TX and RX, surely you have already done it, try again.
About the components for the bootloader-box I used these:
https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Flash-the-firmware-on-860C-850C-using-bootloader

mbrusa said:
Did you perhaps disconnect the battery with the display on? 860C doesn't like this.
If it's not there, that's the problem, so either replace the display or put an external switch, to be turned on after the display.

It was a few weeks ago, but it's easy to imagine that I cut power with the battery master switch without shutting down first. It never occurred to me that this would be a problem:-( I'll get it on the bench this weekend and check Vin as you suggest, thanks for the tip!

Back