TSDZ2 OSF for all displays, VLCD5-VLCD6-XH18, LCD3, 860C-850C-SW102.

i understand you are still on stock fw ?
Yes, i haven't did anything with the controller.
The kit arrived just few days ago, and i don't have the flasher device yet.
Btw, i checked the display, and it has 5 bars in the battery icon. It is a bit different from the one showed on the manufacturer's website, but it has definitely 5 bars.

Yes, i haven't did anything with the controller.
The kit arrived just few days ago, and i don't have the flasher device yet.
Btw, i checked the display, and it has 5 bars in the battery icon. It is a bit different from the one showed on the manufacturer's website, but it has definitely 5 bars.
okay , and you want to flash ? could you show video showing the display features ? you ordered display as an extra or instead of other displays ?

I installed OSF 860Cv20.1C.4- 3-bootloader.bin. I used the ECO CYCLES bootloader box. (I replaced the 5 strand wire with a 6 strand). The installation worked well. I can open the screen with the on button, but once opened, the screen does not respond to the remote. The screen is frozen.
Did you flash the controller?

I installed OSF 860Cv20.1C.4- 3-bootloader.bin. I used the ECO CYCLES bootloader box. (I replaced the 5 strand wire with a 6 strand). The installation worked well. I can open the screen with the on button, but once opened, the screen does not respond to the remote. The screen is frozen.
You might be using a new chip version (v1.2) of 860C (sold since april 2023). I forked and adapted the 860C firmware here (thanks to Emmebrusa and APT team support) GitHub - SykloFR/Color_LCD_860C_V1.2: Color LCD 860C V1.2 for TSDZ2 Open Source Firmware

okay , and you want to flash ? could you show video showing the display features ? you ordered display as an extra or instead of other displays ?
Yes, i am planning to use the OSF because of its better performance. I ordered the display as a part of kit, on the PSWPower site it is an option. Working well out of the box, but as i read, the OSF could be better in performance and battery handling.
I can only attach a picture about the display, but it has nothing extra: basic functions (5 level of assist, momentary speed, max speed, avg speed, odometer, trip distance, remaining battery capacity in percentage (calculated from the momentary consumption) and also showing the usual 5 bar icon.
It has a config menu, where i can set the wheel diameter, imperial or metric unit, max speed limiter, password, battery details (my rack battery pack does not provide any data except the voltage, but there are options to see how many times it was recharged, etc...) so perhaps other packs with more sophisticated electronics can show more info.
No USB port, no bluetooth, no wattage, just the basic stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_20231022_172019.jpg
    IMG_20231022_172019.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
Hi

I use the emmbuse firmware with the 860C screen. I am switching to Linux and I would like to update the screen. Is there a procedure for Linux?

Thanks to Emmebrusa for the firmware!

Hello guys and sorry for lame question. Are these 850C or 860C UART screens the same for Bafang and Tongsheng? I'm asking because I have ordered new motor from Tongsheng: TSDZ8 and 860C screen with flashed OSF for TSDZ2 obviously will not work.

My understanding is that if I want to have screen better than what is in the kit: VLCD5, I need to order stock and unmodified 860C but I'm not sure if there are dedicated stock 860C screens for Tongsheng and Bafang or is there perhaps only one version: 860C UART that is common for both manufacturers.

Hi

I use the emmbuse firmware with the 860C screen. I am switching to Linux and I would like to update the screen. Is there a procedure for Linux?

Thanks to Emmebrusa for the firmware!
The compilation procedure of the .bin file is in a Linux environment.
To flash you need the "Apt Burn Tools" app, available only for Windows.

There was a procedure to get fully linear torques sensor response:
How to calibrate the torque sensor
however with the current firmware it does not seem to be supported any more as after calculations the characteristics is still non-linear:
View attachment 341806

is this the correct statement?
Exactly, the response curve remains that of the torque sensor, and may be different from that of the chart.
I tried with perfectly linear mapping, the experience was negative.
There is a parameter "Pedal torque adc angle adj" which allows, within certain limits, to modify the profile of the curve.
This parameter is mainly designed for handbike users who use the motor with the coaster brake..

Ok, thanks for confirming my understanding, can we say that eMTB mode somehow compensate that characteristics, ..i guess? :unsure:

Hi,

I was over the moon discovering this firmware flashing for the TDSZ2.....absolutely amazing. Flashed my motor and instant success, really impressed.

The only wobble was a couple of cut outs during two rides of 20 and 30 miles, which I resolved by powering off at the VLCD5.

I was still needing to resolve the main issue I had, which is detailed in TSDZ2 intermittent cut out under load - SOLVED .... it was not the sprag clutch slipping, the rear cassette was at fault.

Now that issue was fixed I found the battery level on the VLCD5 would only show 1 bar and the lights on function showed zero stats. I power cycled the VLCD5 and this fixed the problem but the assist disappeared after a few pedal strokes. Rebooting the VLCD5 resulted in just 1 bar on the battery - which I know is good.

I reflashed the OSF using the default 48v ini settings - no change.

Fast forward....sometimes I can get five bars of battery and assist but that soon disappears and rebooting the controller leaves me with 1 bar of battery life.

It is a 6 pin controller.

Puzzled and would appreciate some steer on what to try next.

Hi,

I was over the moon discovering this firmware flashing for the TDSZ2.....absolutely amazing. Flashed my motor and instant success, really impressed.

The only wobble was a couple of cut outs during two rides of 20 and 30 miles, which I resolved by powering off at the VLCD5.

I was still needing to resolve the main issue I had, which is detailed in TSDZ2 intermittent cut out under load - SOLVED .... it was not the sprag clutch slipping, the rear cassette was at fault.

Now that issue was fixed I found the battery level on the VLCD5 would only show 1 bar and the lights on function showed zero stats. I power cycled the VLCD5 and this fixed the problem but the assist disappeared after a few pedal strokes. Rebooting the VLCD5 resulted in just 1 bar on the battery - which I know is good.

I reflashed the OSF using the default 48v ini settings - no change.

Fast forward....sometimes I can get five bars of battery and assist but that soon disappears and rebooting the controller leaves me with 1 bar of battery life.

It is a 6 pin controller.

Puzzled and would appreciate some steer on what to try next.
UPDATE: I reflashed the controller with the factory settings using STVP. This cures the battery issue, it now always displays full bars. I know have the issue that I get full assist regardless of the assist level I select. Strange, as this means reflashing the original files I made before I moved to OSF does not restore the factory settings.

So my SW102 just died and I wanted to replace it with a VLCD6.

On a virtual PC on Mac, I installed Java, SDCC and ST Visual Development, but the Java Configurator doesn't open (a black window opens and shuts immediately).

I've read that for v20.1C.2-2-VLCD5, compile and flash can be done automatically from Mac OS. Is there any guidance for this ? I installed Java and Stm8flash. The Java Configurator does open here, but nothing happens when I click on "Compile and Flash".

Any suggestion for Mac or (virtual) PC ?

Edit : after a few uninstall and reinstall of Java it eventually worked on PC :)
Still can't make it work on Mac though..

Last edited:
Unable to set clock on 860c (mbrusa firmware 0.20.1)

Sometime in the past couple of months, my 860c display stopped updating the clock - it's always 0:00 whether I'm on a ride or not. More significantly, any attempt to modify the "Clock hours" or "Clock minutes" fields will lock up the display when the M button is pressed to lock in the change, requiring a power cycle to get it working again. Also, changing the "Clock field" parameter to anything other than "clock" (eg. "Batt volts") will not survive a power-cycle - it resets to clock every time.

Are these known issues, and if so, is there a newer version of the firmware which corrects them? I searched the thread but couldn't find anything relevant. Everything else is working OK as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance!

If it no longer keeps the date and time, it could be the backup battery is flat. It can happen when you don't use the display for a long time.
But by turning it on, the clock should restart and work, it just needs to be updated to the correct time.
If it doesn't happen, it could be a hardware problem, in which case there would be no fix, but it could also be the firmware is corrupt.
What OSF version are you using?
Have you tried reflashing?

I had similar problem as @ahagge with one 860C display when I had few days without cycling. As @mbrusa said the internal battery didn't keep current very long and clock was at wrong time. I'f I did ride everyday clock was working fine.

If when you have only one battery bar, the assist is also missing, it is probably a battery or wiring problem.
Did you reflash the controller to factory settings with all three files?
I did reflash with all three files but I did not realise that the HEX file for options was not suitable - I sourced an S19 file and the reflash worked fine. I have since ridden the bike on standard firmware, which was trouble free. I decided to reflash with the OSF and it also worked fine. Fast forward two more rides I notice the assist degrades and disappears despite the battery being fine. A power off and on will fix this for a while....at which point the single bar of battery issue reappears and assist may or may not work. Another reflash with stock firmware and that problem disappears - difficult to see how this would be firmware driven behaviour.

I'm using a decathlon Rockrider ST540 mountain bike with hydraulic brakes as a means of urban transport, which I've fitted with a TSDZ2 (36V 250W) motor and throttle, as well as mudguards, a quad-suspended saddle, a new urban bike stem, Schwalbe marathon plus tires, a luggage rack and front and rear lighting. I'd like to flash the opensource firmware, keeping the possibility of using the throttle for hill starts, and have an engine capable of climbing very steep hills, or even, with the VLCD5 controller, of exceeding 25km/h if necessary by a combination of keys. I use GNU/Linux so the software works out of the box. What settings would you recommend?

If it no longer keeps the date and time, it could be the backup battery is flat. It can happen when you don't use the display for a long time.
But by turning it on, the clock should restart and work, it just needs to be updated to the correct time.
If it doesn't happen, it could be a hardware problem, in which case there would be no fix, but it could also be the firmware is corrupt.
What OSF version are you using?
Have you tried reflashing?
The initial symptom was that the clock would reset to 0:00 after a few weeks of being disconnected from the traction battery. I attributed this to the 860c having either a capacitor or very small battery to keep the RTC going. Once it was powered up, it would start running the clock again and I'd just have to reset the clock to the correct time.

But now as I mentioned, the clock is stuck on 0:00 and won't advance. Any attempts to reset the hours or minutes via the menu lock up the unit immediately after pressing M to set the value. I tried doing a "Reset to defaults" from the Display menu, but that didn't help.

The firmware version on the boot screen is showing as "0.20.1", but I thought the vendor ("electrifybike.com") told me when I bought it in 2021 that they flashed mbrusa's version TSDZ2-v20.1C-860C. Was I misinformed?

I haven't done a re-flash yet as the initial OSF firmware was working so well, I didn't want to risk anything. But I guess that's the next step. @mbrusa: Do you have high confidence in your current pre-release version v20.1C.4-860C-update-3 or should I re-flash with v20.1C.4-860C-update-2?

One last question: Where's the best documentation for the process of flashing new firmware?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if reflashing will solve your problem, but it's worth a try.
However, it is necessary to flash both, display and motor.
Feel free to use v20.1C.4-860C-update-3, it's well tested.
Soon, for the display, I will release v20.1C.4-860C-update-4 which fixes some bugs, I just need to update the manual.
For documentation look at these:
Flash the firmware on 860C 850C using bootloader
860C Display Bootloader for Firmware Programming
Flash the firmware on TSDZ2
TSDZ2 Motor Controller Firmware Programming

I did reflash with all three files but I did not realise that the HEX file for options was not suitable - I sourced an S19 file and the reflash worked fine. I have since ridden the bike on standard firmware, which was trouble free. I decided to reflash with the OSF and it also worked fine. Fast forward two more rides I notice the assist degrades and disappears despite the battery being fine. A power off and on will fix this for a while....at which point the single bar of battery issue reappears and assist may or may not work. Another reflash with stock firmware and that problem disappears - difficult to see how this would be firmware driven behaviour.
If you don't have any problems with the stock firmware, it could be a bug or a wrong setting.
Try posting the configuration ini file.

Back