Upgrade the new GNG 650w (chain/sprockets)

Whitehawk

10 W
Hi all,

I am building a new ebike with a GNG 650w on a kona coiler, will be used with 18s 10ah and a lyen 12fet.

I received the GNG yesterday, and I saw the primary chain make a lot of noise (because of the big chain and small 11T sprocket I found on the forum)

So I think the best is to change for #25 chain reduction, I have already 13T 10mm bore pinion and #25 chain, so I need a compatible sprocket, I'm thinking to use a 55-68T maximum (68T #25 = 140mm, original on the GNG is 54T 140mm).
A sprocket like that, I think it's direct bolt on : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/55-Tooth-sprocket-for-some-gas-and-electric-scooters-models-using-25-chain-free-shipping/614066672.html

What do you think, and do you think it will be fine to upgrade the other side with BMX half link?

Best regards ! I will post videos when it will working ! :mrgreen:

Mine is belt-drive v1.1 so I can't help you on the drive side...

however, I use a 1664 branded 1/2 x 1/8" half-link on my chainring side and it is super quiet compared to the stock chain!! Never had any problems with it either.

Do you have a link please ?

If you add a half link, you don't have to use the chain tensioner ?

I kept the tensioner on my reduction chain because I haven't mounted my LR sheets (freewheel is on last legs and I'm afraid it's not going to go back on very nicely). I replaced the plastic sprocket with one from my old derailleur (reduces noise). The 1664 half link, I picked up at local shop...can't seem to find any online.
ktX6of2l.jpg

I *just* replaced my drive chain with a shadow conspiracy interlock chain (1/2x1/8 off eBay...one ride to store so far) and it's even quieter than my KMC 1/2x1/8 that I was just using (which was an AWESOME chain...much quieter than my 8speed chain and stronger than any other 1/2x1/8 that I've tried so far...KMC is the only brand that hasn't failed for me yet)
YQGBRvml.jpg

Hmm.. it's not very clear for me, the half link it's for the GNG chain (red) or the bike chain (blue) ?
And I don't understand how can a half link reduce the noise ^^

The shadow conspiracy chain seems strong yeah :)

Last thing for the transmission, I'm afraid by the reliability/durability of a standard chain with shimano 7 speed freewheel, and I will probably have to use something like you.
How do you build your hub ? you have 2 speed and use only one ?

Tkans a lot !

Both chains are half links now...

Red = 1664 branded 1/2 x 1/8" half link
Blue = Shadow interlock 1/2 x 1/8" half link

The factory chain is really shitty. It's probably never been oiled and bone dry. It's also looser crappier links that make more noise as they rotate and grab.

I don't know that the half link in particular reduced the noise...my old KMC was not half link and it was quiet...I think the difference is really just from a really quality, maintained chain.

As for the hub, I replaced my cassette with a single speed and spacers. I have two sprockets now but I have to manually switch them...
16t for roads up to 55kph, and
20t for trails up to 45kph

I keep them both on the hub for a fail-safe if anything were to happen to one.
I switched to single speed because I was never shifting gears anyway and my smallest cassette sprockets just got annihilated. I don't know that I would go any lower than 16t in rear

Hope that helps

r3volved said:
Both chains are half links now...

Red = 1664 branded 1/2 x 1/8" half link
Blue = Shadow interlock 1/2 x 1/8" half link

The factory chain is really shitty. It's probably never been oiled and bone dry. It's also looser crappier links that make more noise as they rotate and grab.

I don't know that the half link in particular reduced the noise...my old KMC was not half link and it was quiet...I think the difference is really just from a really quality, maintained chain.

As for the hub, I replaced my cassette with a single speed and spacers. I have two sprockets now but I have to manually switch them...
16t for roads up to 55kph, and
20t for trails up to 45kph

I keep them both on the hub for a fail-safe if anything were to happen to one.
I switched to single speed because I was never shifting gears anyway and my smallest cassette sprockets just got annihilated. I don't know that I would go any lower than 16t in rear

Hope that helps

Hi!!!
what brand/model RED chain, in the photo, are you using with the stock sprockets??
thx!

The reply is on your quoted message :lol: : " Red = 1664 branded 1/2 x 1/8" half link "

I will change the reduction with 13tooth / 55tooth sprocket #25 :)

For the bike chain i'm a litle lost, your bmx 1/2 x 1/8" half link chain can only be used with a single speed no?

And it's not compatible with a shimano 7v.. i suppose ?

http://catalog.1664bmx.com/1664-BMX-Bal ... Link-Chain

Is that chain compatible with the stock sprockets?

r3volved said:
Stock chainring? Yes.
Stock jack shaft freewheel? Yes.
Does not work with a rear cassette.
---
This all applies for any 1/2 x 1/8" full or half link.

Ok thx
Would a 1664 half link chain be any quieter or would there be no difference
in noise levels?

@r3volved,
I think this chain is similar to the 1664 and easy to find

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000C17I0C?pc_redir=1404364905&robot_redir=1

ebike11 said:
r3volved said:
Stock chainring? Yes.
---

Ok thx
in noise levels?

By using a half link on the secondary chain, you should be able to remove the tensioner, which is a source of significant noise. The halflink enables you to get the chain at the right length so you have the correct tension without the tensioner. That is why people say that is quieter with a half link. The halflink itself does not reduce noise.

As for the primary, the stock chain and sprockets are abolutely horrendous on noise. Swapping out the primary chain and sprockets for #25 will make a big difference with the noise levels. When you put in the #25, remove the tensioner and set your chain length accordingly. Removing both chain tensioners on primary and secondary reduction is what really makes a big difference on the noise factor.

I hope that helps.

Wishes

Switching out for any decent chain over stock (tensioners or not) significantly reduces kit noise. Though it might even help to lube the stock chain...mine was dry and I never did try that.

Wishes said:
ebike11 said:
r3volved said:
Stock chainring? Yes.
---

Ok thx
in noise levels?

By using a half link on the secondary chain, you should be able to remove the tensioner, which is a source of significant noise. The halflink enables you to get the chain at the right length so you have the correct tension without the tensioner. That is why people say that is quieter with a half link. The halflink itself does not reduce noise.

As for the primary, the stock chain and sprockets are abolutely horrendous on noise. Swapping out the primary chain and sprockets for #25 will make a big difference with the noise levels. When you put in the #25, remove the tensioner and set your chain length accordingly. Removing both chain tensioners on primary and secondary reduction is what really makes a big difference on the noise factor.

I hope that helps.

Wishes

I didnt notice a tensioner on the primary chain reduction gng

Yes no reduction on the primary chain :)

I'm looking for a chain tensioner for 1/8" chain.. anyone know what i could buy?

http://www.alltricks.fr/vtt/single-speed/tendeurs-chaine/gusset-tendeur-de-chaine-bachelor-183-1635.html

I don't know if it's compatible with 1/8" chain :(

Whitehawk said:
Yes no reduction on the primary chain :)

I'm looking for a chain tensioner for 1/8" chain.. anyone know what i could buy?

http://www.alltricks.fr/vtt/single-speed/tendeurs-chaine/gusset-tendeur-de-chaine-bachelor-183-1635.html

I don't know if it's compatible with 1/8" chain :(
I was using exactly that as you can see from my post above. You just need to make sure the wheel is wide enough for 1/8". I didn't like it though and would recommend something like this instead: http://www.alltricks.fr/vtt/single-speed/tendeurs-chaine/gusset-tendeur-de-chaine-squire-183-2375.html

A lot of people says Half link chain is shit ^^

But I find KMC HL710 half link at good price : http://www.probikeshop.fr/kmc-chaine-hl7aa-demi-maillon-aa-2-xaa-8/63445.html

So I could try without chain tensioner with this chain maybe :)

Sound is better with #25, but I can't find right tension with 13T and 70 or 55T sprockets, So need a tensioner or try another sprocket like 60-65T for exemple. (11T #25 sprocket is too small)
I can't find right tension with half link chain on the secondary chain too so hard to remove the tensioner.

I build a tensioner to see, but for the moment I'm using the original chain because It will be better using #25 without a tensioner.. !

Finally I like the sound with original chain, a little like a F1 car ... :mrgreen:
But I will try #25 when received half link.

[youtube]9uAyFw684H0[/youtube]

Back