upp battery bared

No I was looking at those cells just tried to find the data sheet and only found LG cells of 9amps so that 20s 4p 21700cell pack with 60amp BMS. I didn't think it had a strong enough strength to be used at 60 amp.
I was thinking they're designing these packs to use them at their limit.
I was wondering if there are using a good enough cell for their application

Both 18650batterystore.com and nkon.nl show the LG M50LT around 5Ah and 14.4 amps, but I didn't look for an LG datasheet, I built a 13S-3P with them, and it load tests at 14AH with a 3A load to 40V. I'm only pulling 24A max out of it,

If you look at that amazon link, first reviewer (4-23-2023) says his triangle pack caught on fire, Replaced promptly. From pics I've seen of triangle packs, they glue the cells together because there's not enough room for a cell form,. Risky construction, espccially for triangle.

How does a pack go into thermal runaway just sitting there? Bad cells turned into heaters? Wouldn't expect that from LG, SHort circuit between two banks of cells? Possible when you glue them, Not my pic, but here's one that is halfway to a short/ The shrinlwrap is split on one side,

hazard.jpg

CYC PHOTON

A stupid statement eh? History speaks for itself. I'd say supporters are "inane".

You typically respond to criticism of a company you bought what? One? 2? batteries from. I'm sharing the results of scores of sales and warranty replacement issues.

I've written the same before. I HAVE another UPP battery built to my specifications. But that's not what the budget and off-the-shelf buyers end up with.
Funny, you never mentioned it until now. You typically pretend to have some kind of business, and supposedly have discovered "scores" of BMW's defective batteries. BS!.

Last edited:
2old I just think bicycle motor works got a bad shipment of Samsung 40t cells.. And many even big suppliers have gotten bad BMS or batteries like pedego and the pedigo fires.
As I said, 999, sorry about your bad experience since you're such a stand up guy. Maybe I got lucky with my two batteries (one, a 52V, 4ah is in its third year on my lightweight BBS02 bike). If BMW was a good company they would have responded better to you. They've always answered my inquiries within 24 hours, but I haven't had problems.

If you look at that amazon link, first reviewer (4-23-2023) says his triangle pack caught on fire, Replaced promptly. From pics I've seen of triangle packs, they glue the cells together because there's not enough room for a cell form,. Risky construction, espccially for triangle.

Well, that’s scary! I’ve been using UPP batteries for about three years now but looking to retire these batteries once I get my new pack built.

Notice how it says “advanced assembly process” ?
But yet it clearly shows no cell holders, yeah really advanced 😂
6ECA3601-DC45-45E2-ADDA-9043729AC398.jpeg

You typically pretend to have some kind of business,
5 years of sales and support with the original owner of California eBike. over a year and scores of UPP batteries sold supported and warranties. no pretending. 4 personal UPP batteries. all under claimed Ah. So enjoy, i’m glad it works for you. Others deserve warning and taking a closer look at what they’re buying. Bruza has a good reputation with a couple of builders i respect. I’m back to EM3ev. my 2014 battery from paul went to recycling yesterday. major sag pulling 15A. used it for short runs last season.

Notice how it says “advanced assembly process” ?
But yet it clearly shows no cell holders, yeah really advanced
To be fair, if you go by the image, they dont' have any parts on the circuit board or interconnects between cells, or any wires between any cells or circuit board and anything else. ;)

To be fair, if you go by the image, they dont' have any parts on the circuit board or interconnects between cells, or any wires between any cells or circuit board and anything else. ;)
I just opened my generic cell UPP triangle. It's completely shrink wrapped. I peeled back a little of the shrink wrap and could see that cell holders aren't used. There's the red/brown insulating cardboard, like in the OP's pic, in between the shrink wrap and connections/strips. The shrink wrapped triangle has stiff foam around it, between the pack and the housing, so there's no movement of the pack within the housing. The pack is actually glued or hot glued into the housing, and can't be pulled out (It took a lot of effort just to get a little part to pull away from the housing). It's not budging. I couldn't get to the BMS, but by feeling around, I could tell it's mounted in the same location as the photo above. Overall, they packed a lot of cells in, 14S8P, by not using cell holders, and looks like they took steps to keep the cells and pack from moving around.

I'm guessing my Samsung 35E triangle looks the same inside, but since both packs perform well, I'll leave well enough alone.

I just opened my generic cell UPP triangle. It's completely shrink wrapped. I peeled back a little of the shrink wrap and could see that cell holders aren't used. There's the red/brown insulating cardboard, like in the OP's pic, in between the shrink wrap and connections/strips. The shrink wrapped triangle has stiff foam around it, between the pack and the housing, so there's no movement of the pack within the housing. The pack is actually glued or hot glued into the housing, and can't be pulled out (It took a lot of effort just to get a little part to pull away from the housing). It's not budging. I couldn't get to the BMS, but by feeling around, I could tell it's mounted in the same location as the photo above. Overall, they packed a lot of cells in, 14S8P, by not using cell holders, and looks like they took steps to keep the cells and pack from moving around.

I'm guessing my Samsung 35E triangle looks the same inside, but since both packs perform well, I'll leave well enough alone.

Thanks for posting this. I was just thinking about your build that you had the UPP triangle pack. It seems like with UPP they’re kind of hit or miss. If the right person assembles the pack, they seem like decent batteries that last for years. Then there’s someone obviously in the assembly process that’s not performing quality work that’s causing these fires etc..

It also seems the people that have battery fires with UPP, It tends to be brand new batteries. It’s like if you’ve had the battery for a while and used it multiple cycles, You’re probably safe but it’s still sketchy. I could be wrong, but it seems like every battery fire I’ve heard of from UPP was from a brand new battery.

It also seems the people that have battery fires with UPP, It tends to be brand new batteries. It’s like if you’ve had the battery for a while and used it multiple cycles, You’re probably safe but it’s still sketchy. I could be wrong, but it seems like every battery fire I’ve heard of from UPP was from a brand new battery.

There’s some merit in that observation. If you get a solid second year chances are good you’ll see more.

Please remember those budget packs are generic cells. Manufacturer it seems is a coin toss.

when your specifications are good and you use best practices a better battery will be built. but the up pricing makes them ho hum deals.

How many times have you seen a name brand tool battery at 59.00usd and latter get an email of the same named brand pack with pictures at 4 for 69.00usd.
You can by shrink wrap tubes with printing in 18650 and 21700 size.

Sorry it hit a bad nerve when 2old mentioned his BMW's packs and my 24ah BMW's only getting 19ah now 14ah after 114cycles. The reason was counterfeit cells in UPP packs as with there generic Chinese cells of UPP can be counterfeit B grade or defective. Meaning you only need one cell too reverse polarity and catch fire. Out of 96 cells.
On the triangular packs it would like to know how they group them in parallel and how they make their series connection do they get caught in the corner and only could have two nickel strips for parallel connection and still a 60 amp BMS.

My pack had thin plastic panels barely stuck to the cells, and crappy, brittle shrink wrap. No real protection.
As to glueing the cells, my Em3ev 14s 9p triangle pack, was glued. It came without cell fusing, and died a quick death.
At least it cost $1500 Canadian! I had a small pack from them, that stopped working after a half dozen cycles, got a replacement bms from them. Went about 10 more cycles, and killed two cells.
I built my own now, and have 14s 52 ah of new Samsung cells, for about$600 Canadian.
I monitor the cells individually, and don't depend on any bms.though I run one as a last defence.
In fairness to Em3, my first battery from them, was excellent,still glued, but it actually had cell level fusing, and lasted a good long time. So 1 outta 3, no thanks

Custom pack? What build date?
Not custom, I'm not certain of the build date. I bought it about 3 yrs ago? They stopped offering the 9p,pack immediately after i bought mine. Might have been old stock?
It had 35e cells, made a nice door stop. Lol

UPP if you can manage following the thread.
Your stupid, inane comment didn't reference which of my posts you responded to. Too bad with all your so called experience you only have disdain since you post only negative comments and never anything helpful or positive. Additionally, instead of stating something about the product, you attack the person who posted, and question their statement. Keep losing, I'm done ever reading anything from you.

Okay you guys do this through private messaging we don't need to hear you pull each other's tail.
Besides that I like a Hot topic where there's things happening and we're fighting out information well our packs lasted but sells they were made out of and or counterfeit. Bad serious connections or main connections at the front or the back of a pack.
Still on a upp triangular path I would like to see how they connect all their series connections whether it be 14s or 20s pics please.

UPP actually has a series of UL-certified batteries. But they're not a $300 18650 packs
U003 Only 3 in the USA but more versions are in their Alibaba store

I might order one for one of my trikes.

I do not intend to insult, but rather to warn. Real-world experience...

@2old please just use ignore function.

Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 8.16.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 8.20.52 PM.png

Last edited:
Not custom, I'm not certain of the build date. I bought it about 3 yrs ago? They stopped offering the 9p,pack immediately after i bought mine. Might have been old stock?
It had 35e cells, made a nice door stop. Lol
Surprising. I have had 4 and as support sold well over 100 batteries while working for Califonia eBikes. We have very different results. So it goes...

Back