VESC data logging app for iOS

benj

100 W
Hi folks,

I finally cracked it (thanks to Jacobbloy and Vedder) 8) :p

I got VESC returning realtime data over bluetooth to a mobile app. It's taken me a while, but finally got there!

For your viewing pleasure:
[youtube]AAa55i9OPH8[/youtube]

And even better - here is the code for iOS and the detail of what you need. It's pretty simple, and cheap :) I am using a VESC hardware 4.7 and firmware 2.5, but it should work on most revisions. It's using an Adafruit UART friend for the bluetooth comms. https://www.adafruit.com/products/2479

https://github.com/gpxlBen/VESC_Logger

Give me a shout if you need and I'll try and help.

This looks great! Thank you for sharing!

Since this isn't in the app store, I'm sure there will be others who are wondering how to load this app on their phones. I had to look it up myself, but apparently you can now load apps using XCode without a paid developer account. Sorry if I'm the last to the party on this one. For others who are also late to the party, here's a write-up that explains how to do it:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/10/12/how-to-sideload-apps-on-iphone-ipad-ios-9/

I'd test it out myself, but I'm still waiting on my VESCs and motors. :)

Good tip about the side-loading suprisebirthday, thanks for the link

AkiraEC - Android is on my radar and I've got some code written but it's not working yet. I don't get much spare some so don't hold your breath!! Happy to share what I've got so far if someone wants to help.

I did a couple of sessions this weekend and there is lots of improvement needed on the app and maybe hardware. It was dropping connection to the UART a lot and it does try to automatically reconnect but it was not reconnecting properly sometimes...the app was also crashing a bit so need to look into that.

Not a bad start though :) Eager to get feedback about what people want out of an app like this.

aH man!

Thought it would come out on Android first , need to get a hold of a iPhone again!

Regardless, Gods Work Right Here!

that looks extremely useful, awesome job! just monday, I was driving up a slope with my laptop in my left and the gt2b in my right to have some idea what the vesc was doing ... until it died. :lol:

Unfortunately this is way beyond my ability. I won t be able to help despite my wish to do so. I will wait for the android port.
Great work anyway !!

whitepony said:
...driving up a slope with my laptop in my left and the gt2b in my right to have some idea what the vesc was doing ...

:oops: :lol: Yep. I am guilty of such a crime!!

Android port is coming pretty soon I hope. I've got most of the code written now, but using Bluetooth LE in Android is a nightmare. Hopefully won't be too long folks.

Feel free to fire suggestions for the app if you try it. It's not built to be a bullet proof riding tool yet, but we can improve it in time.

KayWerks said:
Regardless, Gods Work Right Here!

Amen!

I am super stoked about this!

I am going to bump the android port, there is not much I can do with ios. It would even be great to just have a wired app for android that we can use do vesc datalogging for android in the mean time. It is a lot easier to skate around wired up to your phone than it is to skate around wired up to a laptop. How hard would it be to make what you have for android so far work on a wired connection do you think?

Hi,

I've been trying to get this Android version working but no joy yet :roll:

In the meantime, I made a small update to the iOS app - Control Mode.

vesclogger_control_mode.png

You can now access a little slider and this let's you control the VESC current right from the app. It's great for testing and getting feedback but PLEASE DO NOT TRY AND RIDE YOUR BOARD USING IT :shock: :lol:

Control Mode is not designed for riding, so please don't. I might make another app to control the VESC for riding if enough people show interest.

Anyway, get onto the GitHub repo for the latest code and all the how-to on getting this working. https://github.com/gpxlBen/VESC_Logger/

Back to Android-land for me :)

Back