Voltbike Yukon

gepinniw

10 mW
I've been intrigued by ebikes for years, but I never had the $ before now to take the plunge. I've started to do some research and I'd like to get an ebike before the end of spring.

I've looked at direct drives, geared hub motors and mid drives and I have a basic understanding of each. I like the idea of buying a kit and doing a custom build to save money, but my knowledge of bikes and electronics is very rudimentary, so I'll probably be buying a prebuilt bike.

I've narrowed it down to the following:
VoltBike Interceptor - http://www.voltbike.ca/interceptor.html
Voltbike Yukon Limited - http://www.voltbike.ca/voltbike-yukon/voltbike-yukon-500w-limited.html
Biktrix Juggernaut Mid Drive - http://www.biktrix.com/collections/bikes/products/biktrix-juggernaut-mid-drive
Biktrix Juggernaut Hub-Drive - http://www.biktrix.com/collections/bikes/products/biktrix-juggernaut-hub-drive

The above companies are both Canadian suppliers, and since I'm in Canada, this means lower shipping costs and more predictable pricing (shipping from the USA means unpredictable brokerage fees).

The fat bike is appealing as a pothole-resistant bike that I can ride in all kinds of weather, but I can also take in onto some hiking trails. I'm also open to a beefier hybrid, or a mountain bike.

I like the Rad Rover too, but with $400 US shipping and potential custom brokerage fees, the price from the Canadian suppliers are better.

Desired max speed on level ground - 32km/h is the legal limit, and I'm fine with that.
Desired max range - My work is 25 kms away. It would be nice to be able to go at least that far.
Preferred bike wheel size - a 27.5 would probably be my preference if I were to go the custom build route, but I'd be flexible on that. No strong preference.
Brake type - No strong preference. With a more powerful bike, disks would be better, I suppose.
Rider weight 205 lbs
Terrain- quite flat, some short hills on hiking trails but those will be ridden only once in a while
Budget - I'd like to keep my all-in budget to $2500 or less. The less expensive the better.

I have been looking at the Bafang 500 watt hubs. I was thinking I could get more bang for my buck by buying a new donor bike like a Giant Roam 2 or something similar and building my own. I haven't completely closed the door on this idea, but without some guidance it would probably take me too long. If someone had made a step-by-step guide for dummies that I could follow I'd be more inclined to give it a go.

Kit options that look good:
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/conversion-kits/geared/ezee-rear-kit-advanced-pas.html
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/conversion-kits/crystalyte-h-series/crystalyte-rear-hs-kit-advanced-pas.html
http://www.biktrix.com/collections/conversion-kits-and-accessories/products/bafang-bbs02-500w-750w-kits?variant=14962862214

What do you think? Any advice or relevant experience you'd like to share?

If you want to try a couple options shoot me a PM. I'm 5 minutes south of winnipeg. Got a high powered fat bike and a low powered 2wd right now.

Just another Csnadian option.
http://www.goldenmotor.ca/products/26-Inch-Rear-Black-Magic-Conversion-Kit.html

I can recommend the Volt Yukon 500 at $1589 Canadian $49 shipping any ware in Canada , I orded on Friday shipped Monday reserved on Wednesday ,it arrived in a big cardboard box , well packaged and protected ,it took 15 minutes to bolt on the handle bars and off I went on my ride , it has loots of power!

All the others sellers are in US dollars and then you have 3% exchange rate on top

Well, I just pulled the trigger on the Voltbike Yukon Limited. It came to $1833 (Canadian dollar) with taxes and shipping included. In my adult life I've not cycled too much and I've never spent more than $400 on a bike, so it seems weird to be spending this much, lol.

The comparable Biktrix Juggernaut Hub Drive looked nice, but it was $1399 USD. With tax and shipping this came to $1618 USD. I had been sent a coupon code a couple of days ago for $100 off, but it wasn't working. With the exchange that would come to $2105 CDN, or $2005 CDN if the coupon code is honoured. Although this is close in price to the Voltbike, the Juggernaut only has a 36 volt battery, whereas the Voltbike is 48v. Otherwise, I think the bikes are similarly specced. (Unless you can see something I don't.)

Did I make a good choice, or do you think I'm a chump? Give to me straight, I can take it. :)

I'll post again after the bike arrives and I've had a chance to test it out. I'll post some video as well.

Wish me luck!

Make sure to invest in some really good tires and thicker tubes. Many ebike companies don't have really good tires on their bike. Having a flat on an ebike is a real pain. Ask anyone on this forum.

That's my two cents.

lester12483 said:
Make sure to invest in some really good tires and thicker tubes. Many ebike companies don't have really good tires on their bike. Having a flat on an ebike is a real pain. Ask anyone on this forum.

That's my two cents.

Will do for sure.

Gepinniw

you will not be disappointed I have put on 37Km on it with power assisted 1 and 2 out of the 5 and it dos not need charging.
you will have needed Rear-Rack - $75.00 and $48 exchange rate on top of the $1399 USD.
$49 Canadian shipping!
and as you say 36 volt battery, whereas the Voltbike is 48v
looking forward to here what you think of your new bike.

Wow, your post literally took all my words out of my mouth. Pretty much every requirement you listed I also share. I've also been looking at and comparing a lot of the same bikes as you and have nearly am identical commute.

Are you in Vancouver by any chance? Can't wait to hear how the bike turned out as my options are also limited with the brutal exchange rate right now. I'm considering the rad Rover but I'd probably drive down and pick It up, or the crosscurrent which I can pick up from a local dealer.

Fensus said:
Wow, your post literally took all my words out of my mouth. Pretty much every requirement you listed I also share. I've also been looking at and comparing a lot of the same bikes as you and have nearly am identical commute.

Are you in Vancouver by any chance? Can't wait to hear how the bike turned out as my options are also limited with the brutal exchange rate right now. I'm considering the rad Rover but I'd probably drive down and pick It up, or the crosscurrent which I can pick up from a local dealer.

I'm in Winnipeg. The Rad Rover looks nicer than the Voltbike, but it is a bit more expensive even without shipping. They are also out of stock currently. The Juiced CrossCurrent also looks nice, but they also are a bit more expensive and aren't shipping yet (although they should be very soon).

The Voltbike is local for you. Maybe they would have a 'return' bike that you could buy at a discount? If you're cheap like me, you are always looking for a deal. ;)

I'll post gain and give my impressions of the Voltbike.

Cheers!

I was very interested in the Yukon as well. I did purchase an EVO road style bike with the Bion x system from Portage Cycle on Portage Ave not to far from Polo Park area. I,ve only put 45 km,s on it so far but the warmer weather is coming. I wouldn't mind checking out your Yukon some time in the future if you are willing to meet sometime. Come summer i plan to explore a few more bike trails, so far I've just been riding around Transcona where I live.

hugh21 said:
I was very interested in the Yukon as well. I did purchase an EVO road style bike with the Bion x system from Portage Cycle on Portage Ave not to far from Polo Park area. I,ve only put 45 km,s on it so far but the warmer weather is coming. I wouldn't mind checking out your Yukon some time in the future if you are willing to meet sometime. Come summer i plan to explore a few more bike trails, so far I've just been riding around Transcona where I live.
I visited Portage Cycle and spoke with the guy there. He was generous with his time, but the way he spoke about technical stuff made it hard to follow what he was saying. I researched the BionX systems and learned they are very sophisticated and highly regarded, but they are expensive compared to many other options.
A meetup would be very cool. Maybe when the weather is a little bit nicer! It would be very interesting to compare systems and share our experiences.

The Yukon was shipped Tuesday, and it arrived today (Friday). The box was a bit beat up on one side, but the bike inside was well packed and without a scratch.
Putting on the pedals and handlebars was a breeze. It took about 30 minutes. The hardest part was removing the large amounts of bubble wrap.
George from Voltbike had told me after I ordered that the rear bike rack wasn't in stock, and he'd send it to me later in April once he received them. I'll have to install it myself, which is a little bit of an inconvenience.
The helmet that came with the bike is pretty heavy, but decent quality. I don't think I'll use it, but it'll be nice to have a spare helmet, I suppose.
I've only had a chance to go on two short rides totalling 3 kms, but so far it looks great. The bike zips along nicely. I was able to get it up to 37 km/h on a flat road, and about 40 km/h using pedal assist. The pedal assist is very smooth, and the motor is very quiet. At top speed while pedalling it felt like I could go faster if I had a bigger gear. The Yukon is only a six speed.
I tried riding the bike with no power whatsoever, and it felt fine. If the battery ever dies on me, I'd be fine riding the bike under my own power.
I can't wait to go out on a longer ride, and I'm especially looking forward to taking this baby out on some trails.

Attachments

• IMG_6411b.jpg
    IMG_6411b.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 7,639
Looks sharp! We might have to create a little ebike club in winnipeg!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took it out a few times today despite being cold and windy (like, -14C with the windchill this morning). The Yukon has five levels of pedal assist, and level three gets you to 30 km/h very quickly and easily. I was able to get to 40 km/h on a flat stretch tonight using the throttle and no pedalling (there was a slight tailwind). I got to 45 km/h using max power and pedalling. The bike is a hoot to ride. I may alter the handlebars and seat, though. I think a few tweaks will make the ride a bit more comfortable. Maybe even add a thud buster and front suspension.
The big wheels are great. With the abundant power the additional drag/friction really is a non-issue.

Gepinniw

Bike looks good.

I got 82Km out of my fist charge and it was down 2 bars.
that's with PAS 1 at 20 to 22km/h, and now at a total of 122km
I have put on a Brooks B17 saddle on it , that helps the but a bit.
I am with you , looking for a front suspension forks, and some thing for the rear, I did not realise how bad the path ways are there were I live.
will post pic of my bike when I take some.
I ordered a Suntour NCX Suspension Seat-Post and Juin Tech R1 Cable Actuated Hydraulic Disc Brakes, from Biktrix.
I will be very interested to see what you come up with front suspension.

Esting said:
Gepinniw

Bike looks good.

I got 82Km out of my fist charge and it was down 2 bars.
that's with PAS 1 at 20 to 22km/h, and now at a total of 122km
I have put on a Brooks B17 saddle on it , that helps the but a bit.
I am with you , looking for a front suspension forks, and some thing for the rear, I did not realise how bad the path ways are there were I live.
will post pic of my bike when I take some.
I ordered a Suntour NCX Suspension Seat-Post and Juin Tech R1 Cable Actuated Hydraulic Disc Brakes, from Biktrix.
I will be very interested to see what you come up with front suspension.

That's great range. I don't know about you, but I find level 1 PAS to be a LOT of power. It will be interesting to see what the range will be at higher PAS levels. I will definitely be testing that out. :)
That Suntour suspension and hydraulic brakes from Biktrix look very tempting. The price is very competitive, I think. I'm going to check out a couple of bike shops and do some comparing.
I think the front forks will be the last thing I alter, but who knows. If I see a great deal I'll likely jump on it.

:) Watchin' y'all from Toronto. Here we got a web forum for the "Toronto Electric Riders Association" that just blew past 1,200+ members. From all over but many, many hundreds at least now from all around the Toronto area in Ontario.

Have fun riding the new bike
Cheers
L

I changed out the pedals to P.Pedals wider than the stock , I have wide feet, feels much better.
I got a work stand as you will see from my pic.
I am now at 134Km.
PAS 1 is good for me , my goal is to get a good exercise and start to loose some pounds, I am at 210.

Attachments

• DSC03991-1.jpg
    DSC03991-1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 7,500
  • DSC03993-1.jpg
    DSC03993-1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 7,500
  • DSC03994-1.jpg
    DSC03994-1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 7,500
  • DSC03995-1.jpg
    DSC03995-1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 7,500
  • DSC03997-1.jpg
    DSC03997-1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 7,500
  • DSC03998-1.jpg
    DSC03998-1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 7,500
  • DSC03999-1.jpg
    DSC03999-1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 7,500
  • DSC04000-1.jpg
    DSC04000-1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 7,500
  • DSC03997-3.jpg
    DSC03997-3.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 7,498
Nice, Esting! I love the white, and that saddle looks sick! I've got some catching up to do, mileage-wise. The crappy weather here is not making want to venture outside much.
That work stand is nice, too. I might look into one of those.

No riding today,
but I made some changes what do you think. :D

Attachments

• DSC04002-1.jpg
    DSC04002-1.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 7,445
  • DSC04003-1.jpg
    DSC04003-1.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 7,445
  • DSC04004-2.jpg
    DSC04004-2.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 7,445