Waking up my old Stink-E - with updates

Garrick_s

100 W
Wow, been a long time since being on endless Sphere.
Lots of new and cool stuff here. I miss it.

My old Stink-E has been sitting for about 6 or 7 months.
She needed some serious love too.
But she has held up up very well for the last 4 years and considering what I was putting her thru.

Brakes really needed a bleeding and I've been wanting to vent my Hub for ever.
So I broke down and tore her apart and got busy.

I've looked at a lot different variations of venting from different members here.
Seeing as the "intake side" and "Exhaust side" made the most sense, I went that way as well.
But I decided to not just drill holes. I wanted to utilize the air foil design to help draw in the air as well as helping the air escape.

Went thru a few designs in sizes and shapes and ended up here....

WP_20140928_035.jpg

View attachment 1

I went intake on the drive side since it had the most open space.
The exhaust went well on the brake side since I have 8" discs.

From the small testing I have done so far, I'm confident she will stay nice and cool.
Blowing air past just a couple intake holes while stationary, had plenty of air pushing out the exhaust side.
Just from the airfoil shapes alone drawing air in and out was working amazing.
So with the wheel spinning and traveling at speed.....nice and cool.

I have some re-wiring to do but I should have it back on the bike in a couple days and I'll do a follow-up test report as well as a video of a great trail I found.

any way, input always appreciated.
Can't wait to ride her again.

Any reason why you went this particular whay, I mean I hope it will do the job because most people say that you need to make intake holes as close to axle as possible on the disc brake side. Outtake should be as far from the axle as possible on the free wheel side.

I do indeed have the intake closer to the Axle and exhaust at the furthest perimeter.

I truly don't believe it matters what side you have either one on, since both sides of the wheel spin in the same direction
And being my rear disc brake is so big and basically covers the entire area of the hub motor (8 in dia), I went with intake on the opposing side.

It's all based on size and location (intake bigger and closer to center, exhaust smaller and closer to perimeter).
Due to the shapes I made them (air foil / wing shape), that draws the air in that direction.
So the intake foils are pulling it into the hub and the exhaust foils are pulling it out.

I went as close to center as I could, with the gear cluster there, and to the size of the holes, that was close enough.

I did some minor testing with compressed air blowing at the intake - inline with the direction of travel (grant it - the wheel was stationary).
with a little smoke added, you can see the airfoil shape just sucking it right in, and watch it twirl inside and spat out the other side.
A true little vortex going on inside.

I can only see that getting better with the wheel spinning and the bike traveling at typical speed (which is not slow :twisted:)

hub slot x-sec.jpg

the smoke test was doing exactly what the red arrow is doing in the above pic.

the exhaust ports work the same way only drawing the air out of the hub.

awesom, I've got the same bike and vented the 9c for it. pics of your torque arms?

Hey 1KW

The torque plates were quite simple and the older Kona's have a great little "pocket" to utilize.

WP_20140930_003.jpg

WP_20140930_007.jpg

WP_20140930_005.jpg

So the plates are contained in the little "Pockets" that are created by the drop outs.
Once in place and tightened up, they are solid and do not move.

Mine were plasma cut (not the cleanest way) out of some thick steel plate (just under a .250" thick)

Cheers

G

Back