What is your reason of building ebike?

I was tired of taking the bus and having to wait all the time to get around. That's one of the main reasons I started making electric bikes.

8)

Health problems and a few partial disabilities left me feeling it would be better if I did not drive or ride my crotch rocket. Still needed to get to werq and around so built ebike one. It gave me allot of freedom but hurt to ride much so built ebike 2, with full suspension. Now I am a happy camper and with over 10K on the ebike it's still running strong. One of the few times I actually enjoy my life is when I am riding. Sickness and pain fade away and I even look healthy to the others around me. :D
Have to bundle up when the winter rains come but it's still good.

Mine was very specific, trail riding without the hard work. I don't mind pedaling, and actually push myself to pedal throughout my trail rides, always comparing my inputs vs the bikes. I just don't care for the slow sections or the grueling climbs. With power on demand, the fun factor makes it so I don't want to stop. It took a while to build a trail bike to how I want to ride, but it's been totally worth it.

The only problem with the ebike revolution in China and other places is that the instant they can afford it, THEY WANT A REAL CAR. Can't blame em for that, AC is real nice in my climate too. I just don't see the masses going the other way, car to bike. Just a few of us kooks, who might like me, just love bikes and motorcycles enough to go for it. We are never going to be the majority, until energy gets truly costly. Whine as we will, it's still very cheap energy right now. ( in usa) Gas cost as much compared to average pay in the 60's. 25 cent gas cost a lot when $12,000 was middle class pay. 25 cent gas sounds cheap, but it really wasn't. Back then you could live close to work though.

What I really meant by my bike uses a shit load less energy, is that it uses less than any kind of vehicle that weighs 3000 pounds. Shitloads less than any car, even electric ones.

Definitely a plus to use fossil fuel that we have, rather than ones we have to beg for. We just need politicians with some balls to make clean coal more than just an empty slogan. We should capture the CO2 from burning natural gas too. We don't and wont.

On the bright side, while solar charging a bike is expensive compared a 5 cent charge from the socket, it can be done without spending $5000 in start up costs.

dogman said:
The only problem with the ebike revolution in China and other places is that the instant they can afford it, THEY WANT A REAL CAR.

Yeah. I know. But knowing things has never stopped me from having kooky ideas, connecting dots, following trains of thought well beyond their logical conclusion, or believing that given the choice, enough people will do the self-evidently 'right thing' to make it all worthwhile.

Heck, I've even been right about a couple things. And don't burst my bubble on the whole 'people doing the smart thing' thing. I expect disappointment, but the alternative is wonderous.

I remember trying to explain to people how important the internet was going to be in 1992, and getting a lot of blank stares in return. (Although, to be fair, in 1993 I would also tell anyone willing to listen that while html was certainly *interesting*, all the real research and development would remain focused on gopher for the foreseeable future.

I grew up in DC (the city, not the burbs), and was vaguely aware even at a young age back in the halcyon '80s that there were too many cars, and too many people getting too upset about having to spend too much time in cars. This attitude changed briefly when I got my drivers license, but only briefly. My parents have a wonderful sense of humor, and the car I inherited as a teenager was a monstrous Buick LeSabre that was as quick in acceleration as a paddle-boat and as confident in handling as an aircraft carrier. I never tried it, but I'm pretty sure you could have landed a Cessna on the hood.

Try parking that beast on a Friday night in Adams-Morgan or Dupont Circle. Shit, try keeping the tank even half-full as a high-school student. I am not a parent, but if I ever am one, I will follow the example my parents set: I will let my children drive a car that is impossible to park, expensive to operate (they'll pay for this, of course), unattractive in the traditional sense, and which is all-around a bigger hassle than it's worth (at least if your distances are short and you don't mind a little exercise).

(Aside: do you know what blows my mind? People drive to exercise clubs to ride on stationary bikes. People ride elevators to the exercise room, where they work out on a stair climber. Very, very few exercise machines do anything but convert kinetic energy into waste or waste heat. How much energy could a modern gym produce if all the resistance machines were dynamos? Could it power itself? Could it cut the power bill in half? How much electricity does one person produce in a half-hour on a stationary bike?

Rotating doors? They're already a good idea because they allow a minimal volume of warm air leaving relative to the volume of human entering/leaving. Why not hook up a dynamo? The Walgreens at Michigan Ave and the Chicago river has a rotating door that is in near constant use from very early until very late every day. Damn near every building in the Chicago Loop is the same. This is wasted energy. And while I know that it's a minuscule percentage of the total energy consumed by Chicago, why waste what you can capture? What could you power by putting a dynamo on a revolving door that is in near constant use for 14-16 hours every day?

Sorry, this is still the aside. I did mention earlier that I ride trains of thought well far ...)

Even later when I was at university, I had dumped the LeBehemoth for a Mazda 323 (DC to Cleveland on one tank of gas, baby.), I still rode my bike most of the time. There was no parking shortage at all on campus, nor any shortage in the town. But from what I recall, a parking permit at the school was simply ludicrous. I only lived on campus for the first year. From the second year I biked -- a different flat each year but always about between one and two miles. In the third year, I got the 323, and when I drove, I parked on town streets and walked rather than pay for a permit. I lived only about a mile away, so unless the weather was exceptionally shitty (not unusual in Cleveland), I rode.

Plus at school I had a whole theory that I would expound on at length at whatever opportunity I was given that riding a bicycle at all, and especially as a means of commuting, was itself a subversive act, and as such, something to be praised. Or to put it another way: By riding a bike instead of driving, you were giving the finger to oil companies, car companies, insurance companies, gas stations, even the local government, since you would ride on their pavement and sidewalks while noticing (but not really obeying) stop signs and red-light signals. Riding a bicycle, I tried to explain, was punk. And I still believe this, depending of course on context.

I must have been a sight, in retrospect. Riding all-weather in a suburb of Cleveland, where people will drive to the corner rather than walk for 5 minutes, riding a cheap bike with a big orange milk crate on the back that had 'Thou shalt not steal' burned onto it (I stole it -- the milk crate, not the bike), wearing a backpack with a peace-sign painted on it that my hippy girlfriend gave me, which also had my chain lock hanging from it, which I would reach behind to free and menace drivers with if I felt they weren't giving me enough room. Shit, lot of places in the Cleveland metro don't even have sidewalks. There are rec trails and the Metroparks, but no safe way to ride a bicycle for even a mile or two.

I've talked too much and lost track of the story I wanted to tell. Which was probably less interesting than what's here.

I'll just hope I made sense, and trust that I stayed reasonably on-topic.

Hey Spisska,

A bit of a ramble, but who can write a long and introspective story and stay 100% on topic?
Not me! I enjoyed your post.

I agree, cycling is essentially punk, eg, "hey, I do this cause I like it".

About the high school Le Sabre. Forget handling, mpg, cool factor. What every high school kid needs most is a big back seat. Le Sabre as I recall... had a back seat the size of small living room. Definite plus.

Hehe... Funny you guyz should mention "punk" in this thread... (See reference to STEAMpunk in the very first message of the somewatt lengthy thread here titled "Horses of Iron" started back in January, 2009). And I foretell the new thread/competition "Whose ebike has the biggest back seat" coming up. Hehe... I'll hold off "entering the competition" `til I can get that big, comfy two-seater two-wheeled rickshaw on the road, (towed by an electric bike...Hope that'll still count as an entrant?)

But re the "cars topic", my first "big, comfy back seat" car was a 1977 Chevy Impala... `Twas the first year that Chevy "downsized" the Impala... That dang thing kept on shrinking (successive model years), as I recall... I bought the car 2nd hand from the co I was working for at the time (Canadian head office of some tiny little company from our American friends, named "Johnson" something, based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I got to visit their H.Q. once. Boy... And we think here that Lake Ontario is "big"... But I understand that other lake-wattsisname really IS superior - dunno, nEVer sailed it. And sorry folks, for a wet coast kid the Pacific (and the Atlantic) OCEANS *really* are superior.)

Anyway... That ol' `77 Impala was "tricked out" with a back heavy-duty air suspension, etc. as used by the Co aircon maint/repair guys, and it really had a "back seat" (actually, the trunk) I could lie down in, which I discovered when I had to hook up the wiring for a boat trailer. So technically I don't recall "testing" the back seat", but the front seat seemed to "work" just fine (relax... I ended up marrying the gal... ermmm... for many years...).

Oooops... Wandering OT I guess... Lessee... OK, the boat I had to tow "back home" (from a lake in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, to Toronto) was a two-hulled "catamaran" daysailer sailboat... Like ebikes, sorta a "rebel" boat for Canada, back in those daze... And like ebikes, that boat made me "see the light" about how to get around (on the water, at least. Some old sailors here maybe will remember the "Hobie 16 cat", watt was pretty much new in these parts, back then... My first cat - an 18-footer - was built `round the same time in Ottawa, Ontario by Skene).

L

Nice to read your stories

Me starting was after reading this forum and dreaming of a 48v ebike. I got it and was stuck like a bear in honey. After two weeks of fun mid summer my controller broke so I bought a new one and started biking again when the winter came and it was cold as ice. After the success I was stunned. Even so that non electric bikers was faster than me going downhill in freezing cold weather days.

I am a car going to ride bikes. It was at first especially in the begining and winter when I froze stuck into my ebike that it was a hard time missing the car and its inside warmth but now I am over it and no weather will stop me.

I have also got the opportunity to sell ebikes in a local shop. I have sold ONE. Hehe so much for how you think you know your worth in jobs what you can do or not. I can, you too!

My need for cars has plumeted and I tend to outsource or borrow cars instead. I got two but they are 0$ maintenance as long as I don't want to use them then its a 1000 startup cost. I am so cheap I don't even want to pay startup cost so better of getting rid of them. That's how I feel. 20.000 wasted but 200.000 saved. What a deal :) for ebiking!

The other day or days you need to tell people about your creation and that is alot of fun and maybe also envy in behind the scenes.

I like to start an ebike business. That's what it has come down to. In the sense of selling ready made legal ebikes locally. I know the how about ebike, bike parts, selling but not the after sales stuff...(papers and taxes...) I got all in my mind but it needs to be put out in the open, website is coming up soon. Because I outsource and get all my parts with easy inventory costs will be very low. Made to order kind of way and also standardisation of ebike parts will make it perfect!

Anyone else in the ebike business startup kind of mind?

God dag Leffex!

Anyone else in the ebike business startup kind of mind?

Well, well, I sold me first ebike recently too! I have "wasted my life" as an accountant, but recent EVents have caused me to "rethink" that "black art" (accounting), and hopefully change my life. Lessee... I work like a dog (check), and watt have I been writing about since I sorta stumbled across them just over ten years ago? (hint, electric propulsion for transportation) And before that maybe wrong turn with that whole accounting-thingee, I went to another college (now calling itself a "university"... something about squeezing more money outta starving students... but perhaps I misunderstand) and gradumicated with a Cert(ificate) in "Marketing"... That's the art where ya *promote* the product, but somebuddy ELSE carries the bookbags full of encyclopedias and takes the "customers" money... Ummm... again, something like that, `cept I probably got that wrong too... sigh...

Anyway... I recently attended a neighbourhood (no relation to that other "hood") "cabaret" (read, a burlesque show with half the audience women, and the performers, half men). Yeah, I know... I was confused too... Ya might read about their shenanigans online here:
http://www.zerogravitycircus.com/lunacycabaret.html

And I arrived to the show early and parked my new (watt I loving refer to as ) "rusty steed" (aka electrical tricycle) on the sidewalk, right outside their front doors. And while I was waiting I asked my friend (for whom I had bought one $20 ticket for the show) while we were waiting in the next door "Sideshow" coffee shop to please help me and copy out (using a black "magic marker") these words (this sign):

WARNING
Do not attempt to MOVE or OPERATE! This TIME TRAVEL DEVICE operates on a variety of power sources, mostly NUCLEAR, but also hydro, wind, etc and maybe the SUN (all typically distributed as electricity), and can also be operated using human food energy. Travels from Point A to Point B etc faster and cheaper (for urban excursions) than other travel options including public transit, the gasoline-powered horseless carriage, etc (silently, and blows zero exhaust in your face).

(Antique technology. Mostly from the 19th and 20th century... Look for the half-dead old sailor on the hard (stuck on land, wearing spurs) inside for details...)

EVery word of it is true, as far as I know. (EVen the bit about (western) spurs, though some folks look at me kinda funny when I climb aboard my rusty steed and give off a "Yee Haw" and "hit the gas" (twist the throttle). Actually, it being our "halloween" (no Guy Fawkes night here, for some strange reason), and the cabaret encouraging "costume" all the time, some folks there comment "nice getup/costume" maybe without realizing most of my clothes are just my EVeryday wear (OK, maybe not the spurs. I have a few pairs, but just to wear for fun/special occasions.)

I did get to have two nice "sidewalk" conversations about the trike and the tech, and hand over two promo/cards for one downtown ebike seller (disclaimer: Each card has the secret ebiker code in it, for which I receive a small remuneration from the lady that owns the shop, if one of *her* cards shows up with my "code" on it.)

Anyway... I am also on that "LinkedIn" thingee, and recently added as a skill "Master of the Electric Bicycle Promotion"... (Dunno how many "masters" there are out there yet, if any... Hey, anybuddy here wanna whip up a "course" in ebike PROMOTION, and hand out certs to grads? Warning, tests may be difficult, competition to "compete" fierce).

In other words, I have been maybe *promoting* the electrical bicycle for over ten years now, and just realized I might turn this *passion* into a paying job! (Saving our dying planet is just a "frill"...)

Lock

Moved from the metro Detroit area to small town OH.

I went from having 20-40 mile commuting days (50 RT before that) to 5-10(if I go home for lunch). A few of my coworkers ride year round (probably suspended licenses).

I grew up with the dependence on cars being the norm.
I've always hated cars, the sin of all sins around Detroit, but bikes have never been an option for me my entire life. Sidewalks were never really around to get around, and roadside is a death with most places I've lived.
Also, I've always lived too far from work and school for it to work.
My last semester of school I started biking the 20 miles round trip on a POS Kent Hybrid, I would bypass half the road commute by going through a state park.). I bought that bike to keep me from buying a motorcycle. . . It is a POS btw, retired for parts.

I (had) coveted a motorcycle for the past 4 years.
I never wanted the maintenance or insurance. Even though I initially knew nothing about bike repair, I understood the costs were going to be lower and the portability made it perfect.
Initially I wanted to build a gas bike, would have been cheaper too. :D But I didn't want to get it titled or insured. I also didn't think my job would let me park a gas bike indoors.
So I went with an ebike, I can park it indoors at work and home. I enjoy being part of the newest revolution in transportation. If this becomes bigger industry I'll have real world experience and make a career of it.
Or might even start my own shop.

It is fun to learn about all of this stuff, even if I am coming around slowly on it. I had no prior knowledge of bike repair or electronics.
Since late April I've learned almost all there is to be done as far as bike repair, and I am now starting to gain knowledge on the electronics side of things. My latest BMS episode has inspired me to teach myself digital electronics. I have a book and a breadboard, and a solder iron, I'm super serious :lol:

My grandfather was a tinkerer, he was always hacking electronic devices, working on cars, doing computer work. His house and garage was always a junk yard of PCB's and car parts.
His son, my uncle, is part of the R&D team for engines at Chrysler. A genius and the most impressive thing my grandpa produced.
Me? I have always been the failed potential of the entire family.
So I enjoy doing anything that makes me look a little bit less the failure and more like a vanguard.

To ride where a gas off road bike is not allowed.
To get rid of the noise and smell.
To speed and challenge in the trails of the small mountain here, as much as I could in a big mountain bike park.

I build to ride performance that is not available on commercial ebikes, and stealthier than E-motorcycles.
I don't like building, it is just that what I need is not available anywhere.

I didn't need a commuter, but I have found the best commuter that one can have in town.

10 years ago instead of driving and parking to go work, I purchased and religiously rode a bicycle. This helped keep me in shape and provided the extra stamina to face my job as chief mate on a large yacht...(90 hour week was not unusual) . When we left port....the bike came with... but, that's another story. 8)

About two years ago Orthopedic issues developed, I could no longer peddle and ride as in the past. I began to research Electric Bikes and visited a local eBike dealer. I recall the salesman attempting to sell me a manufactured bike, his spiel didn't impress me at all....he was more like a "game show host". I later checked the internet and found you guys on this.... "open source eBike building forum".

The rest is history, I put together a eBike that helped me over come spinal degenerative disease, thus regaining my strength and health. Unfortunately, this month it became necessary that I face the dreaded "knee replacement"....a week ago I got back on the bike and incorporated back into my physical therapy routine. I visited with the surgeon today. He is pleased with my range of motion and swift progress. In fact, he also wrote me a prescription for my next build(money is no object) :lol:

What is your reason of building ebike?

Back