• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

What spokes are needed mtx 39 ebike wheel

Kyleraee94

1 mW
Hi all
Currently snapped my 3rd spoke and starting to get sketchy. i am just after some advice if any one knows any stronger ones to replace with or what spokes i need to replace the original ones (12g spokes according to when i bought it) sorry for the newbie question but rather buy right once. Any help is greatly appreciated

Kyleraee94 said:
Hi all
Currently snapped my 3rd spoke and starting to get sketchy. i am just after some advice if any one knows any stronger ones to replace with or what spokes i need to replace the original ones (12g spokes according to when i bought it) sorry for the newbie question but rather buy right once. Any help is greatly appreciated

Since the wheel is already built, the simplest solution would be to remove an existing spoke from the same side of the hub and measure it (from the tip of the threaded end to the inside of the hook on the other end.

If you already know the rim ERD, which would be difficult to measure on a mounted rim, you could do the other measurements for your hub, or get them off of a diagram of the motor, and run the figures through a spoke calculator:
https://kstoerz.com/freespoke/

Your wheel will be much more reliable with decent quality 14ga stainless steel spokes (DT Swiss, Sapim, Wheelsmith, Union/Marwi, or Pillar). If the hub and rim have already been drilled out for fat spokes, you'll need to use washers under the spoke head and spoke nipple to keep them from pulling through.

A hub motor wheel build is a relatively difficult first build to do. Might be worth it to go to a professional wheel builder who has experience with hub motors.

Kyleraee94 said:
Hi all

Do you have a 1500W kit that came with an MTX39?

Both of my 1500W (another flavour of leafmotor) kits that came with the MTX39 rims have a version of the rim made by SunRingle for these Chinese ebike kit makers with 5mm diameter holes for the nipples (and without eyelets). The 12G spokes that come laced are weak and do break eventually at the “J” bend as they are slightly too large for the hub motor holes. I’ve broken two so far anyway. Standard spoke nipples are 4mm. If you go with 14G pretty sure you’re limited to 4mm nipples so you need washers for each one and also the hub holes since they’re a bit large as well. Most readily available option and if done correctly the strongest since the narrower spokes better match the amount of tension that a bicycle wheel can provide. I don’t think a 12G spoke can even really be tensioned adequately on a bicycle wheel.

I went with 13G Sapim Straight from Grin Tech (ebikes.ca), best price and there’s a 5mm nipple option. They have 5mm nipples that work with the 13G spokes so no washers needed, and the J bend fits the hub hole perfectly. Pretty sure I got 164mm for my 26” MTX39/1500W (same dimensions as the Leafmotor) combo if that’s what you have as well.

*Just checked and they were 156mm 13G Sapim Straight w/5mm nipples as a drop in replacement.

E-HP said:
Kyleraee94 said:
Hi all

Since the wheel is already built, the simplest solution would be to remove an existing spoke from the same side of the hub and measure it (from the tip of the threaded end to the inside of the hook on the other end.

If you already know the rim ERD, which would be difficult to measure on a mounted rim, you could do the other measurements for your hub, or get them off of a diagram of the motor, and run the figures through a spoke calculator:
https://kstoerz.com/freespoke/
Thank you for you reply mate

Back