Where to buy clyte HS4080..or just stick with 3540?

Hello,

Ive been deciding on whether I should run the Crystalite HS3540 or the HS4080. If your not familiar with these two motors, the 3540 has a 35mm wide stator, the 4080 is 5mm wider at 40mm. Obviously the wider stator is beneficial in terms of overall speed and acceleration. Ive spoken to Justin at ebikes.ca and he told me that they dont sell the 4080 because it is too wide, and will not allow a 7 speed freewheel in a standard 135mm mountain bike frame. This is not a concern for me because my bike is a cruiser single speed that I plan to run off 72v 40A max. (more of an e-moped) I can spread the dropouts a bit if necessary as well because it is a steel frame bike.

So.... Justin offers the 3540 at just under 400 shipped to my door. PLUS>>>>>>>they remove and remachine the wire exit cap on all of the clyte hub motors so that the cable is held snug to the axle and less likely to get cut through by the rotating seal on the side cover plate. As well, theirs are a later version of the motor with a deeper wire slot in the axle and a fibreglass sleeve over the cables for additional abrasion protection. :D

Now from what ive read on the forum, anyone in my situation ops for the 4080, because more GO. But where can I find one that isnt going to have wire cutting issues. Ive also read that the 12AWG phase wires are not teflon in the 4080? and that under certain loads they can short? this could be hogwash because I read it on the internet.
So....does anyone have a good source for the 4080 in the states? and is it really even worth it over the hs3540?

Heres a pic of the bike as is right now. its getting there.

i have 3 inch wide custom double wall rims, with hookworms, tuffy tire liners and kenda downhill tubes just sitting in a box right now. i need to get a motor so I can lace them up and get them on the bike!!!!

Ilia from ebikessf.com has them. But why not go to the crown motor? TC-80 or TC-100. Justin has them.

too much money, if i was gonna go that route id just go cromotor, but i dont need to do 60 mph. The 4080 or 3540 are a good match for 35 mph cruising. Thanks sir!!!!

Golden Motor MP3 are better than 3540 C-light. I had both and i must say its an upgrade not a downgrade.

danjpendleton said:
too much money, if i was gonna go that route id just go cromotor, but i dont need to do 60 mph. The 4080 or 3540 are a good match for 35 mph cruising. Thanks sir!!!!

unless that 35mph is once in a while and mostly on flat with few stops, assuming regen active during stop, I can assure you the 3540 will overheat too. I would say the 3540 is a solid 30mph motor for most condition with few hills. Hills kill ALL motors. For a reliable 35mph motor, I would say you need to step up to the 4080 or get the 3525 with high voltage or get the 3548 with small wheel.

By the way, is ebikessf.com price on the 4080 too high? the 4080 I believe is the cruiser version on his website at:
http://ebikessf.com/H4040

But give him a call and he might have things that are NOT on his website you might find useful in your build!

Best of luck on your build!

Well scrap this thread. The 4080 was 480 plus shipping....maybe next bike. I went ahead and got the 3540 from justin. hes a good dude and the 3540 should do the trick

almost no hills for my commute. ill have temp sensing so thats good. ive seen 72v 3540s in hilly conditions that stay 25mph- 38mph without a hiccup. My commute is one road, almost no stops, 13 miles, relatively flat. ill keep an eye on the temp when its up and running and keep u posted. now that im addicted to this hobby im sure this wont be my only bike :) so if i eventually step it up to the 4080 ill have a 3540 i can build my gf a bike with

zener said:
Golden Motor MP3 are better than 3540 C-light. I had both and i must say its an upgrade not a downgrade.

Could you explain why you feel the MP3 is better than the 3540? Thanks

I like my MP2. When paired with a temp Sensor and CA v3 it should be about and indestructible. 66v 18s should get you a smidge over 35. Has torque for days. I'm running 66v 65a 4500w and it will peak 4500w and sustain about 2000w continuous when air Cooled. I haven't found anything it couldn't get over.

Kent said:
zener said:

I can exactly.

It have more torque but is about 10% slower.
No wire exit problem.
14mm axle.
It runs more efficient in a 26" tire.
The overall quality is better.

The only downside i feel till now its not so stealthy.
Its look like a giant rear disc brake from far.
The 3540 was hide behind the 200mm disc brake. :p

zener said:
Kent said:
zener said:

I can exactly.

It have more torque but is about 10% slower.
No wire exit problem.
14mm axle.
It runs more efficient in a 26" tire.
The overall quality is better.

The only downside i feel till now its not so stealthy.
Its look like a giant rear disc brake from far.
The 3540 was hide behind the 200mm disc brake. :p

Thanks for the reply. Well having a HS3540 I am dismayed about all of the broken axles we keep hearing about so do you feel that the MP3 having a heavier axle and thus should be able to take substantial (90 v) power? Of course it would run hot like anything else but at least one wouldn't have to worry about axles?

I guess you could paint it to hide the graphics.

90v isnt needed with the pie. Yes it will be insane off the line with plenty of torque but you will have waste heat. Im a fluffy guy past 300 lbs and I dont feel the need to run 24s. Im not scared its just to much bike that is to easy to get away from you. I can already jump cars and out accelerate cars at lights and keep pace in traffic. I can do over 35 almost 40mph. Im sure someone lighter could do 40mph on 18s. Building numerous ebikes over the years every time I went to 24s I had more problem than it was worth. Im currently using a lyen 3077 controller and running 18s and its been solid and the heat management is pretty good. You can turn the MP into a hotplate in less than a minute if you push it hard enough. Like any motor it can peak very high and lay down some awesome power. With the CA V3 and a temp sensor. It will start to have diminishing returns. The hotter the motor gets the more it starts to pull the power back. I have my thermal throttling set to start at 100C and Cut off at 140C. My temp probe is in the winding. The Ca V3 shows the motor hovering at around 120C and it still able to lay down 1500-2000w. When it cools down it makes more power available. For the money the pie is capable and well worth the money. Mines is air cool which may be part of my success.

John in CR said:
"Where to buy clyte HS4080..or just stick with 3540?"

Why pay a premium for below average quality?

a premium? i think the price for an hs3540 is pretty reasonable for what its capable of....

Ive seen them put to the test and they hold up very well. Im not trying to break any land speed records, and the 3540 should meet my demands. Plus its plug and play with the CAv3 with temp sensing and also the infineon controller ill be running.

Everyone has their own opinions and their own experiences on this forum, like every forum on the internet. But I know there are plenty of people running the 3540 in this forum day in and day out that are very happy with it. There are certainly plenty of people who have had nothing but negative things to say about golden motors.

I think ill be happy with the 3540....for now.

danjpendleton said:
Doesnt the $9000 stealth fighter come equipped with a clyte hs3540?

think i read on the stealth thread that the fighter WAS using the 3540 but has since been upgraded to the newer, more powerful 4080.. also i think stealth does some upgrades or higher quality spec to the motors during assembly that may differ slightly from the aftermarket non-stealth specific motors..

Ebikes.ca provides u with a 2 year warranty on their clyte motors as long as they arent water damaged or overheated. they also remachine the wire exit cap and only sell the clyte motors with deeper wire slots/fiberglass sleeves over the cables.

Ive emailed them a bunch of times with all kinds of questions and Justin has emailed me back promptly with helpful unbiased information. They are confident in the products they sell and they make sure you dont end up with damaged or faulty equiptment by testing each component before they ship.

When the motor is functional on my bike Ill keep everyone updated on how it performs....but from what ive heard it aint too shabby

havent fitted the wheels or the brakes. Trying to decide whether i should do front and rear disk. At the very least im going to run a front 200mm mechanical avid bb7 setup

Back