Wife wants a scrambler style bike. Looking for some input

Manbeer

1 kW
I built my wife a beautiful hybrid with a tsdz2 but she wants to pedal less. I did a lot of work making it stealthy, it has a seat bag battery with the wires running through the seat post and down the frame, and all internal routing. I swapped the wheels over to 650 B to lower the stand over height and put on WTB horizons. Today we went on a ride, probably about 31 miles. I was on a regular pedal bike mind you. She decided its too hard. Wants to use more throttle and the do less pedaling. So whatever, I'll give in

Looking around at the super 73, juiced etc As it seems trying to find a frame and build something from scratch will end up being more expensive Even though I'll probably end up Modifying whatever it is

does anyone have input on these style bikes? I've seen guys swap at the super 73 over to a BBSHD and I could see myself doing that. I guess if I don't care about bike like characteristics the extra weight of adding more battery and stuff won't really matter

If she doesn't want to pedal why not abandon the mid drive and get her a hub motor with a throttle instead? If you flip the existing mid you might not even be out of pocket by much, if anything at all. I don't even have a chain or rear cog on my bike at the moment, and legalities aside don't even need one.

Wow, a TSDZ2 on mid to high torque assist level takes almost zero effort to pedal depending on speed, of course. If you are running OSF you could put it in cadence mode and all she would need to do is ghost pedal with literally zero effort. Or if you have the 8-wire controller version you could connect the TSDZ2 throttle and try that for lower speed rides.

Manbeer said:
does anyone have input on these style bikes? I've seen guys swap at the super 73 over to a BBSHD and I could see myself doing that. I guess if I don't care about bike like characteristics the extra weight of adding more battery and stuff won't really matter

No opinion on those bikes. They aren't adjustable, so you should make sure the standover height and seating position is something that will work for her.
Based on your lesson learned, are you sure if she doesn't want to pedal, that she still wants to shift? I'd clarify that before dumping a lot of money into something she won't ride. I agree with a hub motor and throttle as being your best bet. Throw in cruise control to cover yourself in case she get's tired of throttling.

Women that are difficult to please seem to change their minds after the fact (ask me how I know). If I were you (and it's possible), I would either rent different bikes until she finds one she likes or go to dealerships in the area. Also agree with above that she will get tired of a throttle after 31 miles, and you'll be back to square one. I rode a Pedego MTB with PAS a couple of years ago and in the highest level, the rider could pedal as slow as he wanted and it would provide maximum power.

Luna has/had a scrambler-type bike with BBSHD; shouldn't need to pedal much with that system.

Manbeer said:
Today we went on a ride, probably about 31 miles. I was on a regular pedal bike mind you. She decided its too hard. Wants to use more throttle and the do less pedaling. So whatever, I'll give in

Might sound far fetched, but there is the possibility that she doesn't want to hang out with you for 31 miles, and is using to the bike as an excuse so she doesn't hurt your feelings. To test that theory, next time you get ready for a ride, you can hand her some cash, and ask her if she wants to go shopping instead of riding, and see what she says. YMMV. Some of that depends on how long you've been together.

I would get tired of pedaling long before holding a throttle, but maybe that's just me. :lol: That said I opted for the most comfortable throttle I could find. A trigger for my index finger.

I like cruise control feature for non pas ebikes
- though cruise control sometimes engages when you dont want it to
- and sometimes its hard to engage it because of the crack bumps on the asphalt pathways makes it hard to keep the throttle steady 10 seconds for it to engage. I use thumb throttle.

Thanks for the replies! I talk to her and the interim solution will be to install a throttle and do some thermal mods, And install a frame pack to keep a spare small battery in just in case she needs some more mileage. I ran the sim on Grin and it looks like it'll take about 200 watts to do 16-17mph on flat terrain, so hopefully that does not beat up too hard on the motor. when i logged the ride based on the battery use and speed, she was putting in 75 watts. I also have an extra g310 rear hub motor kicking around, so thats always an option i guess but its probably not a huge thermal improvement anyway

In the meanwhile, the bike is for sale locally for roughly the sum of the parts and in the event somebody wants to buy it We will get a scrambler. the luna looks good, otherwise there is a company in china called "mario ebike" that has a pretty similar design using a bbshd but a smaller battery for about a grand less. of course, the luna includes the direwolf 21ah battery and doesn't take 30-40 days to come so it may be a better bet just to do that

EDIT: Just ordered a new 8 pin controller and sw102, so hopefully once it arrives she likes it. I was going to attempt what the one user a few months back did and attach a separate 3 wire lead to the board where the throttle normally goes but the potting was messy and i discovered i had fried a cap at some point...probably one of the three times i hooked the battery up backwards :)

everything worked fine although i always left the speed sensor unplugged and never used the light port, So i speculate that is what was damaged

Should have gone with the 850 or 860. With OSF those have cruise control by holding the down button on the control pad. I am not sure the SW102 does that. It might, but I am not sure.

Manbeer said:
EDIT: Just ordered a new 8 pin controller and sw102, so hopefully once it arrives she likes it. I was going to attempt what the one user a few months back did and attach a separate 3 wire lead to the board where the throttle normally goes but the potting was messy and i discovered i had fried a cap at some point...probably one of the three times i hooked the battery up backwards :)

everything worked fine although i always left the speed sensor unplugged and never used the light port, So i speculate that is what was damaged

Manbeer said:
Thanks for the replies! I talk to her and the interim solution will be to install a throttle and do some thermal mods, And install a frame pack to keep a spare small battery in just in case she needs some more mileage. I ran the sim on Grin and it looks like it'll take about 200 watts to do 16-17mph on flat terrain, so hopefully that does not beat up too hard on the motor. when i logged the ride based on the battery use and speed, she was putting in 75 watts. I also have an extra g310 rear hub motor kicking around, so thats always an option i guess but its probably not a huge thermal improvement anyway

In the meanwhile, the bike is for sale locally for roughly the sum of the parts and in the event somebody wants to buy it We will get a scrambler. the luna looks good, otherwise there is a company in china called "mario ebike" that has a pretty similar design using a bbshd but a smaller battery for about a grand less. of course, the luna includes the direwolf 21ah battery and doesn't take 30-40 days to come so it may be a better bet just to do that

Double edit! got this throttle as it looked more comfortable

B80B8512-F135-4905-9523-7A2A8F62E4EF.png

I find thumb throttles make me suffer, especially on longer rides. Having my thumb retracted and holding the throttle puts my wrist an awkward angle which ultimately makes my hand, wrist, and entire forearm cramp and ache.

Interesting, I didn't even think of it in relation to anything other than a trigger shifter as I assumed that's what it was supposed to resemble. In the end it may not be a bad thing for it to be a bit bigger as her hands are small anyway so it may be easier to reach

markz said:
Its a pretty huge throttle, I bought one and it was huge.

Manbeer said:

raylo32 said:
Should have gone with the 850 or 860. With OSF those have cruise control by holding the down button on the control pad. I am not sure the SW102 does that. It might, but I am not sure.

Manbeer said:

Believe it or not, I may not even flash OSF on this. The main benefit for someone like me is getting rid of the ridiculously low cadence limit but I don't have to worry about that for her And I'm pretty sure with the cruise control option that would just make it too easy ! Anyway I'm on Mac now and have mixed results with these types of things using virtual machines and all. Sometimes I'll get it, sometimes I have com port problems. may not even bother

Well its an over the handlebar throttle, which is what I put on tried and took off right away without hooking wires up.

I use thumb throttle, when using it I use everything from the tip of my thumb, to the middle and base of my thumb to the palm of my hand. I like the universal thumb throttle, I install it in its default off position upwards almost straight up, then what others might install at like at 90 (3/9 oclock) or below handlebar. Hand does hurt every now and then, when it does I think of installing another throttle on other side.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/583410607.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.20.57ed6bf3eFZZRh

https://evfittinggreentime.aliexpress.com/store/group/Throttle-gas-handle/313864_251589097.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.pcShopHead_11248317.1_6

222.png

You just don’t understand your wife. Go and sit her on some urban scooter. Those retro Vespa or Metro style. Girlie bikes, they love it. Now let her choose the color: would it be off white with chrome trims, or pink tangerine with racing stripes. 8)

Don't forget some handlebar stringers.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saplize-Kids-Bike-Handlebar-Grips-Shorter-Length-4-13-For-Kids-Girls-Boys-Bi/224184028066

Same kind of adult who would install headlight eyelashes
https://www.ebay.com/itm/352813567893?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item522553cf95:g:~swAAOSwdpRfplao&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%252B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSd0ReTLyM7cxPnI6zs468EC37HJ7yU5iJCwlXKePP1eSCl31vPxfM7JLy5haX5opjTTYkjVDIbWowUYcPLtHsx%252BrDmZC96VIpG2saD5totpAGYQhlmwDK8qh%252FaIpE0Gcx9nK%252FDx%252B6cMj7xEYPwDvrrnmUtMjan6PAqBObOzKvUN%252Bt6JQzHPhSPlcxnE2SMqstE7%252BMY5Ym4jpR49fR6LQRiez%252FFRTGnxj2brQZifMI2tsezLP3ShHNFitl%252B7FozZnTEdKANDDiqgDD9akmiAiockGtNKErNXfsCaouBReFhAcJj88OwOkCA32dH4jO8s8WFsflkEMMSft3wm2otdlOtON4XBa2bpH6c4Iy%252FxlFFC6q6WK45%252BQeAOKI7aMe%252F5NRzPbKTh8BYIoMcgsF%252BsTL%252FtgiIXQ4wEMcmDutRL3hIAjtE4sN6ly0l3c%252B916WvLlGMKbS9LheuRyk1bSuZSkMnl7tUcFYBH9w8T6BpbdZVuCx%252B3GwfM4yfCZPVeRrHtPl9Jx3pcuFMVZE%252FKpo3f9PY047oCMuGjk28saLEshwskKya6JFuCmfqhwegb%252BT%252F7bO60Z78ggduBTkgHA%252B0z9JgY2jgV4bDR40lQg3D62lK%252BctM6nt1undOg3JkwxkQikjkOV9fWATUWM3ojtM7IMPxY2FE5dxvXndftqwrH%252F2Ja9hmFJlb3HdB2wPw3FltfUh0bvoZsSwEYedpcZya4X8S2l51pcE0c9X0nfb39d2cMp3yk9m1IzQII7yeuM8vUUmwiVgifNi7xJ2I4N4OWrgW61x8hWbjIGJTPj90zb%252BH9kLtu9mvcrEXwZ0ROdt%252F2OX%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334524

MadRhino said:
You just don’t understand your wife. Go and sit her on some urban scooter. Those retro Vespa or Metro style. Girlie bikes, they love it. Now let her choose the color: would it be off white with chrome trims, or pink tangerine with racing stripes. 8)

HK12K said:
If she doesn't want to pedal why not abandon the mid drive and get her a hub motor with a throttle instead?

Absolutely. Folks seem to forget that through-the-gears drives come with some heavy drawbacks.

markz said:
Its a pretty huge throttle, I bought one and it was huge.

Manbeer said:

I used one for several months. The spring was pretty stiff, so I opened it up and bent the spring to reduce the tension. It was OK after that, but once in a while I had to nudge it to be fully off. I was too lazy to open it and fix it again, so I just went back to my half twist.

shes already looking at huge risers and giant seats. nothing wrong with that, but im trying to explain the bike was sort of purpose built and by changing certain aspects, some of the qualities it was made for will be lost. as of now its a blast for me but i like riding, its nimble and handles like a dirt jumper. the horizons are super grippy and for a rigid bike its pretty competent blasting up curbs and along torn up shoulders and potholes. It already has a headtube the length of a flagpole and is pretty upright, so much more rise on the bars will be like ape hangers. again, nothing wrong with that, but i was trying to keep the little tsdz2 happy with a bit less frontal surface area acting like a sail

Manbeer said:
...but im trying to explain the bike was sort of purpose built and by changing certain aspects, some of the qualities it was made for will be lost. as of now its a blast for me but i like riding, its nimble and handles like a dirt jumper.

LOL, when I make or buy things for my wife, I make sure that if she doesn't like it or loses interest, that it something I can live with and use. She wanted nice noise cancelling headphones, so I did the research and bought a pair, but even though I wanted a pair for myself, I waited to the requisite period where she's super happy with them, until the novelty wears off and they just sit on the table for a month or so, at which point I'm able to inherit them. They work great when she's telling me stuff she wants done (which also includes how to do it); and I just click the noise cancelling on, smile and nod. :lol:

just make sure it's Pink.
let's do this go to the arts and crafts store and get a sticker of a rose slap on there somewhere doesn't matter where that means it's hers.

you guys know nothing.

Back