Yamaha YZ250F

j bjork said:
There seem to be very little inputs in the 700 and old 1000 models. Like nothing other than throttle, brake and motor.
I wonder if it is the same here, there dosent seem to be any manuals yet.
I wrote to them yesterday, but havent got any reply.

Click on the 3shul link you posted, scroll down slightly to the "Product Information" table, you will see bold black or blue letters no underline:
"You can download the User Manuals Here"
kind of a hidden link.

This is the link itself: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-8SpE1pHcyUwtbH0vG-zx97PvcI-zFfO

Edit: Looks like you can get the firmware there as well.

Those are for the smaller controllers and the old model CL1000.
I probably miss something, but I dont really get where you see it.

I only see the 4 models of controllers, if I go to "select options" on one of them I get some specifications etc.
On that page there is "user manual" near the bottom. But I dont seem to be able to get anything there.

Are there any people here with experience with 3shul motors?
I sent some questions using the form on the webbpage and got a response the day after.
I then replied on that with some more questions but didnt get a reply in 2 weeks.
I tried sending the same mail with a little extra note again, but no answer in a few days.

What are your experience with getting replies from them?
I also tried clicking on preorder to see where it would lead.
But they wanted my bankcard numbers right away, I didnt really feel comfortable giving them already.

I dont know if I feel more secure after finding their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/3shulmotors/?show_switched_toast=0&show_invite_to_follow=0&show_switched_tooltip=0&show_podcast_settings=0&show_community_transition=0&show_community_review_changes=0&show_community_rollback=0&show_follower_visibility_disclosure=0

I recently bought cl350 from them. Sometimes they respond fast if i send it during their day time. There facebook page did get hacked. However he started a new one https://www.facebook.com/groups/684227311714643/user/100086125027527/
over all id give it a 6.5/10, great product just hard to deal with people all the way across the world

Thank you, yes it seems they have a new facebook page now :)

My main concern is the lack of inputs. On the old models there are only ignition, brake, throttle and motor sensors.
This was in the reply I got: " The IO on cl700 and Cl1000 and cl1400 are similar except few changes the tx_ble and rx_ble are removed from cl1000/1400 as the Bluetooth is now on board and SWDIO and SWCLK pins are removed and these 4 pins are repurposed for sin cos encoder which support is added in cl1000/cl1400."

So there still seems like there are no inputs.
At first I thougt it might be a vesc limitation as it started as a simple controller for rc, skatebords and things like that if I have understand correctly. But they have added all sorts of motor sensor control, so I dont think that can be it?

I have been away on holiday and not ridden the bike in 3 weeks I think.
Anyway, the previous cork seal between the motor and primary reduction didnt work out.
It bended the alu plate so I got a leak between the inner plate and the spacer.

RVdmQ6j.jpg

I took it out and mounted the motor without a seal. I then set the tension on the chain, took it off and sealed between the motor and plate from the inside. The plan is that I should be able to just cut it off from the inside and replace without taking the motor out when I want to adjust the tension.

yNwKRyB.jpg

Made a new seal for the lid too, the old one started to get worn after being removed a few times.

ouDlzuU.jpg

And just a little bonus picture after today's ride :wink:

TysonScott said:
looks good. Are you able to ride in more populated areas without people noticing?
Sure, but I usually ride the same tracks as everybody else. I dont really have any good place to ride were I need to be silent :wink:
There are some tracks in the woods close to my house where I used to ride my eeb I built a few years back, but they are not very challenging on a real bike..

There is a unused field where it would be interesting to build obstacle Course like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCabF-jvI0k&t=293s

Maybe not really like this, quite a lot easier if I should be able to make it :roll:
And a bit smaller..
But then I would have to rent the field and build the damn ting. Then I could only ride it alone, because everyone else I know ride noisy stinkers :roll:

Btw. How have you solved the lack of inputs on your CL350?

I havent gotten my bike up and running yet. I have a bunch of cell modules i still have to disassemble. But i didnt really plan on having much more than a throttle and ignition. it does have some misc 12 pins i believe. What other inputs do you have on your bike?

I have a switch for reverse and a 3 speed switch. I had one to disable drive too, but that disappeared when I changed switches.
(useful when lifting the bike after a crash, or when you just leave it for a while and dont want to turn off)
On fardriver it is not the lack of inputs that is the problem, it is useful things to do with the inputs.

Vesc seems to have useful settings like traction control, possibly wheelie control and different maps. But no inputs to turn them on and off.
Well, it seems like grounding rx or tx can be used as inputs for reverse and cruise control. But nothing else (I think)

j bjork said:
I have a switch for reverse and a 3 speed switch. I had one to disable drive too, but that disappeared when I changed switches.
(useful when lifting the bike after a crash, or when you just leave it for a while and dont want to turn off)
On fardriver it is not the lack of inputs that is the problem, it is useful things to do with the inputs.

Vesc seems to have useful settings like traction control, possibly wheelie control and different maps. But no inputs to turn them on and off.
Well, it seems like grounding rx or tx can be used as inputs for reverse and cruise control. But nothing else (I think)

The thing I found about VESC is that it is more advanced and complex than the chinese controller. What I mean if that you need to use canbus or uart and use ardruino to comunicate with the vesc. No simple logic input.

rivvs said:
What I mean if that you need to use canbus or uart and use ardruino to comunicate with the vesc. No simple logic input.

I was starting to realize that too, I hope there is avalible code for arduino in that case..
I dont think I would be able to write it myself, maybe do small tweaks for personal preferenses.

I have not personally tested these, but appear to be active projects (on my list to try out)

arduino over canbus:
https://github.com/craigg96/vesc_can_bus_arduino

arduino over uart:
https://github.com/SolidGeek/VescUart

Have you got enough depth to cut an o-ring groove in the motor side face? Gasket paper with plenty of grease on one face might work but still sticks after a while.

A-DamW, thanks, that can be useful I think :)

stan, I dont know how thick the materal is in the motor if I want to mount the o-ring there, but the problem is that the middle section is bolted to the plate facing the motor. So there is a lot of countersunk screw heads in the sealing surface. I dont think I can cut a round groove in that plate because or these screws either, and an oval groove would be complicated :?

PTFE sheet might be another option, I've never seen it used as gasket material but thread tape does a similar job well and it's reasonably cheap and readily available.

Maybe something to look in to if this solution isnt good enough.

Here is the reason the controller suddenly became such a hot subject:

7CbyTqy.jpg

I started building another battery, the third.
There is a rush to choose the cell count..
Keep building 30s batteries or change to 29s?
It feels wrong to go lower :wink:

j bjork said:
Maybe something to look in to if this solution isnt good enough.

Here is the reason the controller suddenly became such a hot subject:

7CbyTqy.jpg

I started building another battery, the third.
There is a rush to choose the cell count..
Keep building 30s batteries or change to 29s?
It feels wrong to go lower :wink:
Having played a little with the 3shul I think that VESC is the way to go. A lot more possibilities and better software. Have you weighted the whole bike yet? Curious to see how it weights

rivvs said:
Having played a little with the 3shul I think that VESC is the way to go. A lot more possibilities and better software. Have you weighted the whole bike yet? Curious to see how it weights

From what I remember it weights 140kg, so it is not light..

The software looked a bit scary at first, a lot of motor data etc. to fill in, and a lot of PI and PID regulators.
( I remember struggeling with the PI regulator on sevcon)
But from what I have seen in youtube clips you normally dont have to mess with these regulators and there is a motordetection to get all the data.

It seems like it has the same problem as every other controller I have had, not very good documentation.
There is a little youtube clip with a new function and things like that, but I havent seen anything in depth from start to finnish.

Have you done the auto detection on your motor, what data did you get?
I am especially interested in the max motor current :wink:

JRP3 said:
Have you seen this 20 minute video going over some of the settings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nJFPcBtUHM

yea this one is helping me. He also has some cool videos of the bike running with it. It looks fast

j bjork said:
rivvs said:

From what I remember it weights 140kg, so it is not light..

The software looked a bit scary at first, a lot of motor data etc. to fill in, and a lot of PI and PID regulators.
( I remember struggeling with the PI regulator on sevcon)
But from what I have seen in youtube clips you normally dont have to mess with these regulators and there is a motordetection to get all the data.

It seems like it has the same problem as every other controller I have had, not very good documentation.
There is a little youtube clip with a new function and things like that, but I havent seen anything in depth from start to finnish.

Have you done the auto detection on your motor, what data did you get?
I am especially interested in the max motor current :wink:
You can see in my build thread I got a screenshot of the data.

rivvs said:
You can see in my build thread I got a screenshot of the data.

Thanks, found it.
But it didnt have any max motor amp :x
I saw some video where I am pretty sure that they got that during the detection.
I am trying to find out if the 400pA extra is worth the $700 extra that the CL1400 cost over the CL1000 :confused:

Thanks, no I hadn't seen that before.
Interesting, but more a presentation than instruction.
Hard to see what he is doing, he dosent really go in to what the settings does etc.
you should download the app and check out some of the settings, by what he showed it seems like it gives a good explanation of what each setting does. I think the app is really capable just not many people have documented it

Back