CA Version 2.11 Firmware

I thought there was something like a generic serial/usb driver class file on Ladyada's support forum, but I couldnt' find it in a quick search. I'm sure it was in a thread about making an arduino talk over serial to a usb port via a keyspan adapter, but if I bookmarked it I can't find it now.

nutsandvolts said:
Cybernetic necromancers? I won't ask what's in those big boxes on the back of the crazy bikes. Some things are better left unknown. :D
Tools...and stuff. ;) They're just cargo pods, so whatever will fit in them goes in there. Some things might take a hacksaw. :lol:

Ladyada? You mean this? If that's the one it's not generic, it's FTDI hardware specfic. Or is this not it?
No, that's not it. It was on her forums, somewhere here:
http://forums.adafruit.com/
But danged if I can remember even what the thread name was. :(

The problem with the USB CDC ACM mentioned above is that if I understand this correctly, a USB microcontroller would have to implement this beastie (USB CDC ACM) in firmware, because the USB-serial dongles already have a different type of USB interface (not CDC). It would be sweet to have that, but then people would need yet another device, not a good thing. It needs to work with Justin's USB-TTL device and ideally any USB serial dongle.
Right. That's why I was trying to find that generic driver to let a USB device become what you're after. (assuming that I actualy understand what you're talking about, which isn't guaranteed).

Okay so here's the deal, I will at least whip up ONE application that will work on windows and linux and simply read, parse, and save the CA data to disk, appending always, so it accumulates data. It will require java unless someone else can enlighten me here. I can make simple API like getSpeed() and getAmps() etc for those that don't want to deal with disk, and stay in memory, where the action is. It makes no sense to have to write two completely different programs to do exactly the same thing one on linux one on windows. I'm probably the gazillionth person to be baffled at how difficult something that should be so simple can be.
Well, if you do it in java it'll theoretically run on anything that can run a web browser, right? That would make it more universal?

The ultimate acquisition hardware would have a USB microcontroller that implements USB CDC ACM. Why? Because it works on windows and linux without installing drivers. It requires no drivers. Good reason! Hmm well the ultimate I suppose would be not USB but PCI for speed but that's not going to happen unless you're doing EV research or racing I would think. But an acquisition device for the masses supporting USB CDC ACM would go a long way towards cross-platform support. It IS cross platform support. It's vendor independent, driver independent, it requires no drivers. The drivers are implemented in USB CDC ACM itself. You already have them.
I really like that idea...now get to building and programming it! :p Seriously, if I could help with the idea/project, I'd be willing to try. I just don't know what I can do for it.

Back