72v battery does not charge - weird

Hi all,

This is a serious enquiry on this problem i have on my battery, let me explain the situation.

I have a sony vtc 72v pack, reality still young age.
20s li ion 3p (9ah).
It has the 20s BMS installed with a bypass for my motor use.
rated cut off at 61V
Max charge 84v.

The Situation
I drained the battery down to 64V
I unplugged same day and plugged to my 72v charger which goes up to 84v.
I left it overnight came back and realised there was no charge, still at 64v.
So I thought the charger died, it was relatively old (2016). Went out my way got a new charge similar specs.
Did the same thing, no charge again. change plugs on both the charge, same thing no charge.
Decide to hotwire it directly to each other to see if the charger works, nothing.
Went out again got a new high-quality charger and again some outcome, no charge.
I even tried directly plugging it to my bypass to see if it may have been the BMS fault.

I baffled, the battery is at its rated voltage range, the charger doesn't want to charge the battery.
Cant be the charger, as to how can I have 3 spoiled chargers in a row.

Can someone advise on what should i do?

3 chargers later and still a no go, time to open up the battery and grab a digital multi meter to see whats going on. Plug the charger in and take measurements and see whats going on. Next is to bypass the BMS with the charger and take measurement of the 3 20S series strings. You probably have a bad 18650 sony vtc that is dragging things down. Open up the battery!

mindblown-871 said:

mindblown-871 said:
Hi all,

This is a serious enquiry on this problem i have on my battery, let me explain the situation.

I have a sony vtc 72v pack, reality still young age.
20s li ion 3p (9ah).
It has the 20s BMS installed with a bypass for my motor use.
rated cut off at 61V
Max charge 84v.

The Situation
I drained the battery down to 64V
I unplugged same day and plugged to my 72v charger which goes up to 84v.
I left it overnight came back and realised there was no charge, still at 64v.
So I thought the charger died, it was relatively old (2016). Went out my way got a new charge similar specs.
Did the same thing, no charge again. change plugs on both the charge, same thing no charge.
Decide to hotwire it directly to each other to see if the charger works, nothing.
Went out again got a new high-quality charger and again some outcome, no charge.
I even tried directly plugging it to my bypass to see if it may have been the BMS fault.

I baffled, the battery is at its rated voltage range, the charger doesn't want to charge the battery.
Cant be the charger, as to how can I have 3 spoiled chargers in a row.

Can someone advise on what should i do?

check the voltage of the charger unpluged, if is higher then battery voltage, if you bypass bms, it means that on of the cell can be dead, means 0. when you charge then it jump to charge voltage, so no voltage for battery it self. You need to plug the charger and measure voltage of each series. Never bypass BMS

Back