What Should My Settings be? Sabvoton SVMC 96120 and QS205 50H V3

DotScott

1 W
Hey all,

So... I FINALLY (after about 8-10 months) finished my new ebike build... just need to figure out all the settings because as of right now, I am able to get to ~67mph but the acceleration is like... crazy slow compared to my last build (that had the same battery as this one).

- Controller: Sabvoton SVMC 96120
- Battery: 86v (~72v min and 97v max). I currently have it limited to 50 amps but can output a max of 80 amps continuous.
- Display: Cycle Analyst 2.3 with 150A 0.5 mOhm shunt (this isn't working correctly for some reason though).
- Throttle: potentiometer type - Magura Twist Grip Throttle 0-5K Ohm.
- Variable Regen throttle: Hall type thumb throttle.
- 3-way speed switch (I honestly can't tell which is high, medium or low. They all seem the same because the acceleration is so slow.
- Brakes: Tektro Dorado e-brakes (disk).
- Headlight: Fisher Fab House Ultra 3200 LED E-Bike Light connected directly to main bike battery.
- ignition: key switch.
- Shunt: 0.5 mOhm external shunt for CA-HC, up to 150A continuous, 400A peak https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/ca-accessories/shunts/shunt0-5.html

So really I have two issues I'm dealing with.

#1: acceleration is crazy slow compared to my old build that used the same battery limited to 47 amps. Here are my controller settings:

BASIC:
- Lack volt: 74v
- Over volt: 115v
- dc limit current: 50A
- Rated phase current: 150A
- Max Phase current: 150A
- Protected phase current: 200A

TEMP:
- Unwork temperature: 90
- Rework Temperature: 80
- Limited current temperature: 70

FUNC:
- Electric brake: enable - I have variable regen braking setup but it seems to only be 0 or 100. I thought I once downloaded a special version of the software that had an option for variable braking/regen but now I'm not finding it - anyone have a link to that custom software?
- electric brake ph current: 125A (temporarily set it to that because it was barely doing anything).
- Boost/3 Spd: 3 Speed - though I can't really tell if it's working or not...
- Cruise: disabled
- Reverse speed limit 20% (I don't use this though).
- Flux Weakening: enabled
- Flux weaken current: 30A
- Reginerative charge: disabled
- Slide regenerative charge current: 50A
- Slide regenerative charge speed: 100rpm

THROTTLE:
- Throttle min volt: 1.37
- Throttle max volt: 4.47
- Acceleration time: 200
- Deceleration time: 300
- Throttle mid volt: 2.5v
- Throttle mid current: 0.02A

MOTOR:
- Motor direction: 1
- Motor Pn: 16
- Speed limit mode select: no limit
- Motor limit speed set: 100%
- Low speed set: 45%
- Middle speed set: 75%

DEBUG:
- Current loop kp: 999
- Test given current: 0 - not relevant unless testing.
- Hall angle test: disabled (not relevant unless testing).
- Hall angle: 243

Anything look way off? I just finished this build literally today and test rode it with these settings. Should I bump the amps up to 80A (the battery's max continuous output) or should I keep it lower? And if so, should I set the phase amps to 2.5x-3x that number? What about max phase current or what about "protected phase current"?

Should I change any other settings? Like acceleration or deceleration time? I notice it kinds of "jolts" when I first apply the throttle (kind of makes a click sound).

And then yeah if I can find the custom software that I once found but now apparently lost that allows variable regen... that would be fantastic. I could have sworn I had the correct software on my computer but now I don't see an option for it.

Problem #2: I can't figure out what to set my RShunt value to in my Cycle Analyst... it's currently set to 1.9 but I feel like it's not reading correctly. I've found some information on this and they say to test it but... test it with what? I have a multimeter but I don't think I could ride around with it attached... also where do I even connect it to find that value?

Cycle Analyst settings:
- Set Wheel: 2155 mm
- Speed limit: 95mph (throttle is not attached though as I don't need to control throttle through Cycle Analyst).
- Amps limit: 97A (throttle is not connected to CA so it doesn't matter).
- Low Volts Limit: 74v (again, shouldn't be relevant due to no throttle attached to CA).
- Main Display: Watts
- Set Range: Low (0.01A)
- Averaging: 5
- Set RShunt: 1.9 mOhm (this is where I really don't know what value to set it to).
- Zero Amps: N/A (blank)
- Volt Sense: 31.27 v/v
- Set #Poles: 16
- PSGain: 0.08 V/mph
- IntSGain: 200
- IntAGain: 300
- IntVGain: 800
- ITerm Max: 3.79v
- ITerm Min: 0.49v
- Max Throttle: 4.98v
- Set Ratio: 0.0993 LG/HG
- Serial Output: 1 Hz
- Aux Voltage: Off
- Aux Thresh: 0.99v
- VShutDown: 10v

This CA 2.3 is from my old bike that was built by someone else so some of these settings may need to change but... not sure which ones. Even after reading through the manual.

I know this is a lot to read but... any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I've read through (I believe) all of the Sabvoton instructions and am still kind of lost on what I should set some of these settings to.

Your shunt settings for the CA should be 0.5 mohm and the CA Rshunt range should be set to high range.

Santacruz said:
Your shunt settings for the CA should be 0.5 mohm and the CA Rshunt range should be set to high range.

Ah gotcha. Just changed that and now it seems to be working great - thank you. I'll take it for a more extensive test ride later to confirm.

Any idea about the other, controller settings?

Update:

Watching the amps carefully I noticed that it starts off using like 10 amps and as it climbs in speed, the amps increase until I hit the top speed and it finally presses the full amperage... shouldn't it be pressing the full amperage from the beginning? This would explain the very slow acceleration but I can't figure out what setting is causing this. Anyone know?

I mean with the same battery (but a different motor and controller) on my last ebike, the thing would wheely if I wasn't careful. Compared to that, I can't even describe how slow the acceleration is on this one. I pull full throttle and it just kind of very slowly ramps up. Like... I feel like electric scooters or a one wheel can accelerate faster than this. I just can't figure out what's causing it.

I did try disabling flux weakening but that didn't really seem to do anything (that I can notice). I upped the battery amps to 60A and the phase amps to 150A but that only seemed to make a difference when it was at higher speeds and actually started pushing the full amperage.

My set up is slightly different.
96120 but with a CA3 and running everything through it.
But, I read somewhere, that if your motor direction is set to 1, then the accelerate and decelerate times (under throttle in pc program) are reversed also. So decelerate time becomes throttle ramp up. Looking at your settings of 300ms, seems a bit high.
You could try lowering that, by 10, 50 100 or so and see if that makes a difference. (Mine is set to 50 and is a bit on the violent side, but then I plan to control ramp up with the CA).
Also, I think, as your 3 speed is set to no limit, then the low and middle speed won't get used. (On my program I have external resistance, internal and no limit. I (Guess) think that the external limit setting is for a 3 speed switch or pot).
The flux weakening won't have any bearing on throttle response for accelerating. That will kick in when you approach full speed that the standard motor/voltage runs at.
I am by no means an expert on this controller as it is new to me, but so far I am impressed with it.
What I am doing is running it on a stand and making checks after each adjustment to see if I can see/hear/feel any difference. When it seems good enough then I will run it on the road and hopefully dial in what I need with the CA.

Thanks for the reply, Santacruz. Helpful info!

I will set the acceleration and deceleration speeds down lower but I changed another settings that I believe fixed it:

In my throttle settings, I set my throttle mid voltage to 2 instead of 2.5 and more importantly, I set my throttle mid current to 90A (I read something that said for this controller/battery to set it to anywhere between 60A and 120A)... that made a HUGE difference. Now this beast kicks like nothing I've ever felt. The wheel actually slipped out from under me when I gave it throttle on a turn. Might be TOO much acceleration now. Going to tone it back a bit. But man is it fun now :D

Next I need to hone in my variable regen. Right now I can feel it a tiny bit when I activate it but it really doesn't seem to do much at all. My idea was to use it as an electric brake basically.

Santacruz said:
My set up is slightly different.
96120 but with a CA3 and running everything through it.
But, I read somewhere, that if your motor direction is set to 1, then the accelerate and decelerate times (under throttle in pc program) are reversed also. So decelerate time becomes throttle ramp up. Looking at your settings of 300ms, seems a bit high.
You could try lowering that, by 10, 50 100 or so and see if that makes a difference. (Mine is set to 50 and is a bit on the violent side, but then I plan to control ramp up with the CA).
Also, I think, as your 3 speed is set to no limit, then the low and middle speed won't get used. (On my program I have external resistance, internal and no limit. I (Guess) think that the external limit setting is for a 3 speed switch or pot).
The flux weakening won't have any bearing on throttle response for accelerating. That will kick in when you approach full speed that the standard motor/voltage runs at.
I am by no means an expert on this controller as it is new to me, but so far I am impressed with it.
What I am doing is running it on a stand and making checks after each adjustment to see if I can see/hear/feel any difference. When it seems good enough then I will run it on the road and hopefully dial in what I need with the CA.

Just some clarity on the 3-speed switch: You do want to set it to "no limit" and not the external or internal option. My issue was that I THOUGHT I had the setting set to 3-speed switch but actually... it was set to 3-speed button. My bad. Once I flipped that over to 3-speed switch and not button, it worked fine :) And then you control the speed in the motor tab (low speed % and mid speed %).

I set my low speed to 20% and mid speed to 40% and it works great for me. That 20% will get me up to around 30mph so I keep it in that mode around the city and pedestrian bike trails most of the time... putting this info out there just in case it's helpful to anyone else that's searching.

Okay,
That's good. Useful info.
There doesn't seem to be a lot in the way of info for the 96120, so it's good I think, to share settings and what happens with settings. Hopefully over time we can end up with a decent way to set these controllers up.

Back