0-60v 1000W power supply - forget meanwell

How difficult would it be to make a device that controls a relay and will switch it off after a preset time or current? Basically something that turns a cccv PS into a 'charger'

cal3thousand said:
How difficult would it be to make a device that controls a relay and will switch it off after a preset time or current? Basically something that turns a cccv PS into a 'charger'
I suppose you could use one of the power timers spinningmagnets refers to, but rather than plugging it into the wall, insert it between the supply and the battery. A quick Lowe's search shows either 15 A or 40 A limits.

A current-sensing MOSFET switch probably wouldn't be too complicated - I bet fechter could come up with a drawing while he waits for his computer to boot up. :wink: But I doubt it's something that's readily available commercially.

If you go to Gophert power supplies website, they show they have some nice auto-ranging models up to 1kW, and non-auto-ranging up to 2kW.

I am very interested in the auto-ranging units (because I love the versatility of autoranger's for lab bench supplies), but didn't find them offered for sale anywhere. Anyone happen to find a place you can buy them and/or the 2kW sizes?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm looking for a solid backup bulk charger (vs alloyshell) and a good adjustable supply for a 10a 6s balancer and for general supply work.

84v lipo to bulk charge and occasionally balance. 10 amp power needed for 1c charging.

Buy 300w gopher to power icharger for balancing/back up charging.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FREE-SHIPPING-CPS6005-60V5A-precision-digital-adjustable-DC-Power-supply-With-OVP-OCP-OTP-DC-power/32312081790.html

10a @32v is listed for gps version, but wouldn't the much cheaper cps also do higher amps at lower voltage? or is the output capped @ 5a regardless of volts? 300w is 300w right? (5a 60v or 10a30v)

Then series the gopher with 10a 48v meanwell for up to ~83v @10a charge.
Or maybe just buy two gophers

Is there anything a newb should be aware of such as isolated grounds and the proper way to series and control the units? Any input or links, or search terms (I've been to the massive mw threads) are greatly appreciated!

Ps, Luke I'd contact them and ask if it's not on aliexpress? http://gophertc.com/en/content/contact-us
hopefully they have some english support or you know chinese lol.

Yes, unless there is a diode on the output of the charger or power supply. There is always a drain down resistor across the output caps

rather than plugging it into the wall, insert it between the supply and the battery

Thanks, dnmun and cycborg, it sounds like the way to go is to put some type of two-pin relay inbetween the power supply and the battery that is rated for 48V-72V DC...my concern is not so much the $200 power-supply/charger as much as it is the batteries, which can run into many hundreds of dollars.

Hi cwah, you have the cps 300w?
http://gophertc.com/en/cps-6005-0-60v-0-5a-switched-mode-dc-power-supply

Can it still output 300w @ about half voltage? ie ~10a 30v?

I thought that was standard for most chargers/supplies. And the gps versions have a chart that confirms their ability to maintain the wattage thru specf'd voltages.

Make note of the following on the ALiExpress ad;

Specification

Operation Voltage Range 170 – 264Vac
Operation Frequency Range 45 – 65HZ
Output Voltage Range 0 – 60V
Output Current Range 0 – 17A
Efficiency (220Vac/full load) ≥89%
Full Load Input Current(220Vac) ≤5.1A
No Load Input Current(220Vac) ≤180mA
Volt Meter Accuracy ≤ 0.3% + 1 digits
Current Meter Accuracy ≤ 0.3% + 2 digit

Constant Voltage

Load Regulation (0-100%) ≤ 30mV
Line Regulation(198-264Vac) ≤ 10mV
Ripple & Noise (Peak-Peak) ≤ 30mV
Ripple & Noise (r.m.s) ≤ 3mV
Set Accuracy ≤ 0.3% + 10mV
Transient Response Time (50%-100% rated Load) ≤ 1.0ms

Constant Current

Load Regulation(90%-10% Rated Voltage) ≤ 50mA
Line Regulation (198-264Vac) ≤ 20mA
Ripple & Noise (Peak-Peak) ≤ 30mAp-p
Set Accuracy ≤ 0.3% + 20mA
Size(width× height× depth) 188×80×238mm
Net Weight 3.0KG

Package include:

1 x CPS-6017 DC Power Supply
1 x AC Power cable--china standard Plug(default), if you need other standard power plug,please contact us before order.
1 x User Manual

I imagine it's available for the US market but be sure to ask. Also 3KG is a fair amount of extra weight to tote around on most E-Bikes.
-R

the drain down resistors are usually in the 5-6K ohm range so the drain is not significant. i leave my chargers in the car plugged in and the leds are always glowing too. but i charge regularly so i don't worry about it.

i did remove the drain down resistor on one of the meanwells i worked on once. you can open the charger and since the drain down resistor is usually standing up next to the output caps then you can just cut one leg and it is removed from the parallel circuit with the caps.

some chargers have a pchannel mosfet on the output also that does not turn on until it can detect the battery on the output. that mosfet will stay turned on when the battery voltage is below the charger voltage which is the case when the charger is powered up. the mosfet will turn off when the charger is turned off and then the battery voltage is higher than the charger voltage.

that is how the relay works on the big EMC-1000 chargers too. relay is on when battery is present and charger powered up, turns off when charger is off. but mine had the relay removed because the contacts had cooked and a jumper put there to replace it, which is why my leds remain on all the time even though it is an EMC-1000.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CPS6005-Mini-Precision-Compact-Digital-Adjustable-Switching-DC-Power-Supply-OVP-OCP-OTP-low-power-60V/32320770541.html

Thanks Russell, I didn't notice that, it would be my style to order the 220 model.
Here's one that notes a 110/220 switch.

But can it output 300watts @ half voltage? 300w/10a @ 30v? I don't see why not?

How serial (2x for around 84v 8-9a) friendly is it? I don't see this as a problem either, but some confirmation would be great.

I didn't plan on carrying any charger with my bike yet. All my riding is sub 30-40mi round trip and there's no place to charge anyway.

nutspecial said:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CPS6005-Mini-Precision-Compact-Digital-Adjustable-Switching-DC-Power-Supply-OVP-OCP-OTP-low-power-60V/32320770541.html

Thanks Russell, I didn't notice that, it would be my style to order the 220 model.
Here's one that notes a 110/220 switch.

But can it output 300watts @ half voltage? 300w/10a @ 30v? I don't see why not?

How serial (2x for around 84v 8-9a) friendly is it? I don't see this as a problem either, but some confirmation would be great.

I didn't plan on carrying any charger with my bike yet. All my riding is sub 30-40mi round trip and there's no place to charge anyway.

It cant, because it says 0-5 A.

http://gophertc.com/en/gps
Thanks riba. Here's the chart for the more expensive gps bt supplies that mislead me . I didn't realize there are 3 different 320w models to allow 320w : 16v/20a, 32v/10a or 60v/5.5a.
I thought I read that the alloyshell could put out more amps @ lower volts too, which added to my confusion.
But my understanding on this is a workinprogress.

So basically to acheive 84v @ ~10a you need:

a 32v 10a http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-0-32V-Adjustable-Switching-DC-Power-Supply-10A-300W-SMPS-Switchable-110V-95-132V-and/2031152329.html
and a mw 48v 12.5a http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Meanwell-supply-SE-600-48-Single/dp/B00NOCHQ2G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1431193145&sr=8-4&keywords=48v+meanwell

So sub $200, which is about the same as the 84v 900w bmsb charger on it's way to me.
Any reasons these wouldn't play together and be a more solid and versitle setup than 2 mws or an alloyshell?

Or... simpler, get the auto range serie:
http://gophertc.com/en/auto-range1

They have a model with up to 84V output...

However, no idea how to buy that and at what price

Ahah now I understand what autorange means and how the other models stack up. The graph is great.
Thanks cwah for cluing in the clueless!

Well, Luke, looks like we're in the same boat there. I'll sent them an email and will post back the reply. I'm lookin @ the 8410 or 8415.
I will bet those models are $350 at least, which means it may be worth it for me just to do a 32v gopher and 48v mw if they'll work together for ~84v.

Are these active pfc?

the claimed efficiency is 'up to 90%' but less than '96%' mw hlg or rsp w/ active pfc.
Edit. MW efficiency:
s, se >90% non pfc from what I can tell.
hlg, hrp, rsp >95-98% active pfc, but different overall efficiencies depending on designed use ie fan or fanless?

Edit, a 96% pfc can remain the same with a total supply efficiency ranging between 89-95% efficiency just between hlg and hrp. Not sure if it has something to do with the hrp running a fan where as the hlg is sealed and does not.

Gopher is listed @90% but also says power form @97% which must mean active pfc.
I guess the 96% efficient mw's are made a lttle better than the gopher?, EDIT- Gopher appears as efficient as other supplies that use fans- ie hrp.

Haven't heard back on the autorange yet, but that's probably out for me anyway.

Well, I didn't hear back anything about the autorange yet.

Just bought one of the 32v 300 for the icharger and might try it with the mw's tesla sells.
3x hrp's for around $120 and they're plug and play adjustable from ~20v to 85v and up to 14a charge.

Can not beat it, and they take up less space than the two old pc psu's (using for icharger) that are only giving 3a @12v

I've emailed Gophert twice now about buying the autoranging supplies, still no response. Even if they are $300 it's still a bargain for the 1kW auto-ranging series, so nice to have a compact bench supply that covers such a wide range of currents/voltages.

Agreed, it would be good for everything.
I went the route that has more reduncy, i didn't know what price to expect from them (if we get one at all) and plus bought 3 somewhat interchangeable charging systems for probably the same money or less.

If money wasn't an issue, I'd buy a 2x autoranging instead though, and probably try out grin's satiator.

Wonder why they don't even answer a sales email about a product on their site. I also wonder if they're as efficient and dependable as a MW?

For instance, I assume a proper branded fully adustable supply would cost 1-2k$?

I am really impressed with this gophert!

gphort32v10a.JPG

Not only is it good for powering i106balancer, but it series' right in with the meanwells to give boosted volts and/or 0-10a charging. (very useful for voltage over 84v on the 3x hrp 24v, or to limit current 4 smaller packs. like my 5.8ah half-pack)

Obviously the bench applications are very useful to.
So nice to change current or voltage on the fly and see what you're doing,
Watch it climb to voltage and switch to cv, watch the current fall as the battery absorbs a full charge at set voltage.

The instructions were actually only in english and better than most of the stuff I've bought lately.
They even go over series'd and parallel'd supplies. Yes, these are current sharing.

It was a little light for its size, and I decided to condense/move/eliminate a few things
(ac socket, hard power, 110/220). I'm not happy unless I'm almost wrecking something lol.

Really neat, thanks for the answered questions guys, and thanks for posting about it cwah!

I'll note if they ever get back 2 me about the autorange.

I asked them about the auto range - and got this reply:

Dear Sir,

We suspended GAP series due to we are updating the LCD and the housing, the housing is same as the CPS series.
if you no need computer control, please consider our CPS series,we are releasing CPS-8405(0-84V, 0-5A), CPS-8408(0-84V,0-8A) and CPS-8412(0-84V,0-12A). the price is cheaper than GAP.

you can buy it from us directly.

Best Regards

Jiang Min

Not auto range, But still useful I think

No prices and no spec unfortunately, I presume the spec will be available with their arrival on the website.
My presumption would be that they will all be fan cooled as with the cps-6011/17 etc. I would also think they will go a bit higher than 84v, the 60v models go up 63v, so maybe a similar increase for the 84v ? Just guessing though, have to wait until someone has one to test.

I agree that this power supply can fully charge the lithium ion cells. But why some people do not agree? I think they were mislead by the "constant current". Actually, the "constant current" is not real constant current. The set current is the maximum current. During charging, the charging current will not be constant all the time. The charging current may or may not be at the maximum set current depending on the voltage of the cell, but it will be gradually decreasing as the voltage of the cell is approaching the set voltage of the power supply.
I am also going to buy one as another way of charging my battery pack. But I will buy from taobao.com which should be cheaper in my next trip to Asia.

Back