• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

12Fet Lyen with CA3 speed switch issue.

Simonvtr

100 W
Hi I have this posted in my build log but I don't think its getting the foot traffic to help me resolve this issue.

I have an odd issue or maybe I have something wired wrong. When I setup my mxus DD mother and my 12fet lyen controller I had a 3 speed switch. It worked fine but was told that when I install my CAv3 that the same switch does not work for the CA. So I purchase a switch for the CA from ebike.ca

The new switch hooked into the aux port of the CA. I setup the CA for Legal, Normal, Unlimited. When I went to test each of the setting nothing happens the speed is the same no matter which selection I have it on which is the middle setting of the lyen controller. So I plugged the old 3 switch back into the controller while the new CA switch was plugged into the AUX port of the CA. Now CA switch will only change if I have the Lyen switch on 3. If I disconnect the lyen switch the CA switch will do nothing and just run with the middle settings.

Am I supposed to have the old controller speed switch installed to make the new CA switch work thru the AUX port?
Or do I need to jumper the lyen controller connector for the speed switch and always have it on 3?

Thank you
Simon

I'm not a CA3 expert, nor do I even own one yet but....

I'm currently researching the exact same functionality before I actually purchase the CA3 for my installation. If you download the CA3 manual (posted somewhere on this site) you'll see a section that explains how to configure a 3 way switch for this.

You need to add the appropriate rated resisters to make the 3 way switch emulate a potentiometer to select the 3 presets.

Hope this helps!

I understand that part with the CA thats why I purchase the 3way switch already made by ebike.ca
The switch works fine from ebike.ca on the CA3 BUT only if I have the switch that came with my lyen controller hooked up and on highest setting /III.
If I remove that switch from the controller then the 3way speed switch from ebike.ca does not do anything.
The CA3 will change from 1-3 but motor runs the same speed in all 3 selection as if you had no switch at all.

Simonvtr said:
I understand that part with the CA thats why I purchase the 3way switch already made by ebike.ca
The switch works fine from ebike.ca on the CA3 BUT only if I have the switch that came with my lyen controller hooked up and on highest setting /III.
If I remove that switch from the controller then the 3way speed switch from ebike.ca does not do anything.
The CA3 will change from 1-3 but motor runs the same speed in all 3 selection as if you had no switch at all.

You explained this in your OP. Have you tried configuring the CA3 like the manual instructs?

By the way, what resisters values does the ebike switch have? (the Lyen has none, it is a simple 3 way switch with the center position "off")

I found this switch on ebike.ca. If this is the switch you purchased....

CA3_Switch.jpg

... then all you should need to do is configure your CA3 presets for the switch.

I see but that would mean I would need to purchase the USB cable and KMS said warranty will be voided if I modified the controller.
If its not a simple fix on the CA side then I can live with having 2 switch.
I do not want to change anything on the controller or motor side till I can get some riding time with it.
Got the kit only a few weeks ago and weather hasn't been that great.

danielrlee said:
Have you verified that your CA presets actually work as you expect without the 3 position switch?

Which 3 position switch do you mean?
The RED position switch from ebike.ca for the CA3 works only if I jump the 12fet controller speed switch so that it stays on high or plug the original 3 position switch that came with the controller and leave it on high. I played around with the settings and nothing seemed to work without the original 3 position switch plugged into the controller.

Simonvtr said:
danielrlee said:
Have you verified that your CA presets actually work as you expect without the 3 position switch?

The RED position switch from ebike.ca for the CA3 works only if I jump the 12fet controller speed switch so that it stays on high or plug the original 3 position switch that came with the controller and leave it on high. I played around with the settings and nothing seemed to work without the original 3 position switch plugged into the controller.

Sorry, I wasn't being clear enough in my questioning. Forget all the switches. Have you firstly verified that your CA presets work as intended by selecting them directly from the CA?

danielrlee said:
Simonvtr said:
danielrlee said:

Sorry, I wasn't being clear enough in my questioning. Forget all the switches. Have you firstly verified that your CA presets work as intended by selecting them directly from the CA?

Sorry that I do not know how to do, Barent said I could do that but reading up on it I was unable to change it myself.
You must hold both buttons down?
Can you tell me what is the key combo to changing the preset straight from the CA?

I am unable to change the settings with the key combo. I am able to get to the preset screen and when I hit the right button the screen flash and it stays on whichever preset the switch last left it at. I tried this with all the switch still plugged in /all position switch unplugged /just the CA3 switch /just the controller switch. I am however able to change it when I go into the setup but its a really long process to do that.

2e089407f5.jpg

Simonvtr said:
I am unable to change the settings with the key combo. I am able to get to the preset screen and when I hit the right button the screen flash and it stays on whichever preset the switch last left it at. I tried this with all the switch still plugged in /all position switch unplugged /just the CA3 switch /just the controller switch. I am however able to change it when I go into the setup but its a really long process to do that.

2e089407f5.jpg
Slightly confused here. You say you are unable to change presets with the key combo, but your last photo shows you doing so. Each push of the right button will cycle through your presets.

So, with one of your limiting presets selected, say 'Economy', is your motor's performance limited as per your programmed limits?

TIP: The limit flag screen is of great use when trying to troubleshoot your CA.

Simonvtr said:
I was hitting it but it stayed on econ.

I'm so bad at this maybe I need to make another video :p.
You keep ignoring my question. Are the appropriate limits kicking in with the preset selected?

A thorough read of the user guide is recommended and will more than likely tell you everything you need to know.

Simonvtr said:

Simonvtr said:
Or do I need to jumper the lyen controller connector for the speed switch and always have it on 3?
The short form:
  • yes.
The long form:
  • The controller '3-speed' switch is a simple center-off SPDT switch that makes no connections at all in the center "#2" position. This then is exactly the same situation as unplugging the switch - no connections are made. So - when you unplug the switch, the controller is set for position #2 operation. This has nothing to do with the throttle or CA presets - it's stuck on #2 because that is the electrical setting you get by unplugging the switch.

There are only two means to remedy this default behavior:
    • Reprogram the controller so the default switch/power behavior is different. This is not 'modifying' the controller, it is accessing features you purchased like LVC and regen levels. If you don't understand this stuff or are getting flak from your vendor, have him send you a preconfigured .asv file that fulfills your configuration requirements.
    • Jumper the switch connections so it appears the switch is present in "#3" mode and controller operation is not artificially restricted. You can jumper the appropriate PCB solder pads or just make a jumper plug to replace the switch.
    Since "#2" mode limits controller performance, the CA can never make the controller deliver any more power than the limit imposed by the "#2" setting. In this case the different power levels of your CA presets likely show no visible difference because of the preemptive controller "#2" restriction. (You have not revealed your individual preset configurations, but this should generally explain the situation regardless of CA configuration details.)
Actually, you should not connect and setup the CA until the controller works properly with a simple throttle connected. For instance, if you were to now replace the CA with a throttle and unplug the controller switch, no amount of throttle twisting would increase the controller power beyond the '#2' limit. The CA only controls the throttle and can do no better... Skipping this no-CA step and both removing the controller switch while trying to setup the CA is what caused confusion. Your 'preset' issue lies with your controller setup, not with the CA. Although we know this because the presets work with the controller switch set at "#3", the controller issue would have been obvious if the CA was not connected at all.

Simonvtr said:
The new switch hooked into the aux port of the CA. I setup the CA for Legal, Normal, Unlimited.
danielrlee said:
Hold down the left button then press the right to cycle through your enabled presets.
In this case this advice cannot work because the CA 3-position switch appears to be configured for 'preset mode'. This means the preset is determined exclusively by the external switch which supersedes any changes attempted via the console buttons. Pressing the buttons may cause a very brief change but the preset will immediately go back to the switch setting.

• FWIW: The Aux Input 'preset mode' is generally for situations where multiple Setup parameters must be changed between operating modes. The CA may hiccup slightly when you change presets because it must be prepared for radically different configuration changes (PAS, NO-PAS, current throttle vs Pass-Thru, etc). If all you want to do is change the available power then you might instead consider using 'limiting mode' (typically set to limit current and used with Current Throttle) which gives smooth max power transitions with switch changes while underway.

danielrlee said:
Simonvtr said:

You keep ignoring my question. Are the appropriate limits kicking in with the preset selected?

A thorough read of the user guide is recommended and will more than likely tell you everything you need to know.

Sorry if I seem like a total noob here which I am. I have read the manual even sent emails to where I purchase the kit from and even asked people on youtube who make videos on how to set up a CA and they were all unable to help me. They all keep telling me to change the preset with the keypad manually or read the manual. I am sorry if my answers are not to your liking but I believe I did answer your question. I wrote the preset stayed on Economy while holding down the left key and hitting the right key. The screen "blink" but nothing happens. If I go into the setup manually (holding down the left key till I get into setup mode) I can change the preset to unlimited or 3rd. Once saved and backed out the screen still shows economy.

Simonvtr said:
danielrlee said:
Simonvtr said:

Sorry if I seem like a total noob here which I am. I have read the manual even sent emails to where I purchase the kit from and even asked people on youtube who make videos on how to set up a CA and they were all unable to help me. They all keep telling me to change the preset with the keypad manually or read the manual. I am sorry if my answers are not to your liking but I believe I did answer your question. I wrote the preset stayed on Economy while holding down the left key and hitting the right key. The screen "blink" but nothing happens. If I go into the setup manually (holding down the left key till I get into setup mode) I can change the preset to unlimited or 3rd. Once saved and backed out the screen still shows economy.
Jesus Christ man! Somehow you still manage to avoid answering the question. I just wanted you to stop focusing on the switch for one moment and confirm that the CA is otherwise functioning correctly.

I give up.

danielrlee said:
Jesus Christ man! Somehow you still manage to avoid answering the question. I just wanted you to stop focusing on the switch for one moment and confirm that the CA is otherwise functioning correctly.

I give up.

Simonvtr said:

I book marked this page, as I need to do the 3-way switch deal on my mxus 3kw v2 / Lyen setup too.

Which means unplug the switches, and CA. And see if the controller work correctly.

Back