Key points not understood

Here's mine, what's yours?
Some of mine you may not believe, so "mind-blowing" they are.

1) Despite neither "low brake" nor "high brake" wires of Fardriver controller are connected, both handlebar brakes work. o_O Why?
And why does the right brake (front) not work when rear wheel up in the air, but does work when it's on the ground? o_O

2) With stock controller everything worked, incl. 3-Speed switch. Now with Fardriver controller, speed 1 never shows up on display. :unsure: Why?

3) Stock bike came speed-limited to 45km/h. Despite using new controller now, display still freezes at 45. o_O Why?

4) For correct speed and mileage display, I guess these matter. But what do they mean, what units are they, and what should I set when my my tyre size designation is 225/40-10 57N ? :unsure:
1711223409449.png

5) and last: At times, when starting the bike, it won't move, and the Fardriver controller just shows:
1711229074447.png

and the app shows:
1711229290662.png
despite that nothing was changed. When I then briefly disconnect the throttle plug, all is fine again, and the bike will move. Why the intermittent "throttle error"?

To some of you these personal revelations may seem "stupid", sorry I have never serviced a bike or car yet, my ebike is my first vehicle where I do sth other than filling in fuel - which I don't need to do anymore now :)

---
If you post your KEY POINTS NOT UNDERSTOOD, feel free to be honest & outspoken too. ;) No one is gonna bite
( i trust)

Attachments

• 1711223384827.png
    1711223384827.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Wheel width 225
Wheel ratio 40
WheelR(im) 10

But I do not know if this helps with your Display.
Mine stops and stays at 120 regardless how fast I really am.

Did you wire your brake switches to another Pin like the side stand?

I had also during one of my test that the motor did not stop with the wheel in the air. But when I applied a little load to the motor it did immidiatly stop.

Last edited:
So I don't know enough about your system yet to give you definitive answers yet, so here are my guesses based on the incomplete information you have given:

1) Despite neither "low brake" nor "high brake" wires of Fardriver controller are connected, both handlebar brakes work. o_O Why?
Are the brake levers physically connected (by either cables or hydraulic lines) to the brakes? If so, that is why they work, basically transfer of mechanical energy. They don't need to be connected to the controller to "work." (That's a good thing!)

2) With stock controller everything worked, incl. 3-Speed switch. Now with Fardriver controller, speed 1 never shows up on display. :unsure: Why?
Possible incompatible switch for new controller? Or incorrectly wired? (Yes, even if the connectors/ wire colors appear to "match." There are really no reliable standards.)

3) Stock bike came speed-limited to 45km/h. Despite using new controller now, display still freezes at 45. o_O Why?
Is it possible the new controller is preset or hardwired to 45km/h? If the controller has user-defined settings have you tried accessing (and modifying) them?

Other possibility: Attainable top speed may simply be a factor of motor winding/battery voltage equation (top motor RPM related to supplied voltage)(Less winding turns = more RPM/Volt, more winding turns = less RPM/Volt.)
But this shouldn't freeze the display at 45. Steep downhill or good tailwind should promote higher top speeds, over ground and displayed.

Here's mine, what's yours?
Some of mine you may not believe, so "mind-blowing" they are.

And why does the right brake (front) not work when rear wheel up in the air, but does work when it's on the ground? o_O

4) For correct speed and mileage display, I guess these matter. But what do they mean, what units are they, and what should I set when my my tyre size designation is 225/40-10 57N ? :unsure:
View attachment 349710

5) and last: At times, when starting the bike, it won't move, and the Fardriver controller just shows:
View attachment 349716

and the app shows:
View attachment 349717
despite that nothing was changed. When I then briefly disconnect the throttle plug, all is fine again, and the bike will move. Why the intermittent "throttle error"?

To some of you these personal revelations may seem "stupid", sorry I have never serviced a bike or car yet, my ebike is my first vehicle where I do sth other than filling in fuel - which I don't need to do anymore now :)

---
If you post your KEY POINTS NOT UNDERSTOOD, feel free to be honest & outspoken too. ;) No one is gonna bite
( i trust)
I don't know how much work this might be, but if you restored your original system you could investigate if anything isn't working as it did before to check for failed components.

Can you write what this machine is, perhaps provide pictures? I don't know what a 'Fardriver' is. Can you post what the wheel sizes actually are?

Wheel width 225
Wheel ratio 40
WheelR(im) 10

But I do not know if this helps with your Display.
Mine stops and stays at 120 regardless how fast I really am.

Did you wire your brake switches to another Pin like the side stand?

I had also during one of my test that the motor did not stop with the wheel in the air. But when I applied a little load to the motor it did immidiatly stop.
Thanks again Dominik ;) I will try those values after work (4pm).
On your bike, have you set "Gear Ratio" also? Or left it at "4"?

I will later search what bike you got, maybe i will just use your values (I remember you wrote scooter also, but a scooter going >120? That will be a BIG scooter :oop:). 120 my bike won't go, and I wouldn't dare it with its Chinese frame, sorry.

"Did you wire your brake switches to another Pin like the side stand?" Nope. Initially I had wired up the "low brake", but when "self-learning" wasn't working, i disconnected all but the essentials. The video that I linked you earlier says low brake is not essential for that. I still haven't connected things back, but the bike is running well o_O except for the few points i posted.
MAGIC?!
(sidestand my mechanic said "people don't use that, leave it off, so I did, for now)

Are the brake levers physically connected (by either cables or hydraulic lines) to the brakes? If so, that is why they work, basically transfer of mechanical energy. They don't need to be connected to the controller to "work." (That's a good thing!)
Oh man, you are right! Sorry for being daft, I should have thought of that. I agree, it's a GOOD thing that brakes work when the controller does not, because: The controller at times does NOT work :D

3-speed: is wired just like before with stock controller. Maybe Fardriver handles it different, I will find out.

"Is it possible the new controller is preset or hardwired to 45km/h?"
No way, Fardriver controllers excel in performance, I cannot imagine any one of their controllers would be limited to 45km/h.
Since speed limit cannot be "in the wires" and it isn't in the controller, I now think: The display has a limit programming through specific wiring? The display DOES go up to 188km/h (it shows this upon initiliazing). I now suspect, it's some "wiring trick" like "connect xx with yy to release the limit"? But then, how did they limit it initially?
So, I will have to give this more thought also, yes.

The bike DOES go way faster (did already with stock controller), GPS shows this. I'd just like the display to give an accurate indication (I don't use GPS normally).

Thanks so much :)

So do you all have no "Key points not understood" at all? :unsure: You all know your bikes fully already?
I will get there too. (next life?)

I don't know how much work this might be, but if you restored your original system you could investigate if anything isn't working as it did before to check for failed components.

Can you write what this machine is, perhaps provide pictures? I don't know what a 'Fardriver' is. Can you post what the wheel sizes actually are?

Yes, good tip for others (y) I personally have wired it purposefully for dual use, yes: for new Fardriver controller and 77V 100Ah Lifepo4, and I can return it back to stock version controller and 60V Li-on, when I want to sell it "as it was" (without all my good stuff now).

I have tested it again as stock version, and it does run all the same. (y)

"Can you write what this machine is, perhaps provide pictures? I don't know what a 'Fardriver' is. Can you post what the wheel sizes actually are?"
I can shoot pictures later yes, but it's basically a "quality controller" that I learned of when first learning of ebikes watching videos from a Ukrainian "Ridebikeshop" (auto-translated for me) guys (a girl!) explaining all really well. They said "Fardriver is the best", so then I bought one. :D

Yes, wheel designation is 225/40-10 57N, and I know what it means, but I was unable to relate it to what inputs Fardriver app wants - until Dominik told me above. (y)

Gear I don't know yet, only that my QS motor (also China, everything is China) does not have gears, no.
Gear is set to "4" in app as default. Maybe I need to change it to "0".

You can change the setting "brake" in the app, there are different settings which change the behaviour of the controller.
You can also "invert" the signal with these settings

I do not use the three speed switch, but I think it switches to ground.
Did you remove the short cable bridge which is plugged in the three speed plug?
Are there any settings in the app that can change from switch to push button?

I do not know for what gearRatio is, probably for a mid drive motor which has a gearing. Only with the correct gearing the controller can calculate the real speed from the motor rpm.
Mine is set to 1as I have no gearing with a 10kw hub motor.

I have not posted any screenshots from my ND721800 settings as I am not finished with the settings, and still have problems with the regen function, it does not work as I was used to it. Probably a firmware Update can fix my issues, but I'm not shure that I have found the right firmware.

Before I had installed a ND72680 which which was perfect in terms of parameter settings, but I wanted better acceleration.

Last edited:
Did you remove the short cable bridge which is plugged in the three speed plug?
Do you mean the part on the right?
1711313775987.png
It's not plugged in, no. I think when plugged in, it just allows high speed only. I'd like to keep 3-speed switch as it allows more control when cruising.

Okay, thanks, I will then set gear ratio also to ONE, not zero. (y) I wanted to try your wheel settings today, but had no time unfortunately.

What I can say after one ride already is, I love the power that Fardriver is able to magically pull out of the stock 20Ah 60V battery! I'd never have imagined that so much power is in such tiny box, the stock controller was unable to get it out:
1711314241170.png

While, the new one(s) are like so:
1711314380312.png

Back