1600 x 18650 cells - Recycled

jasonahf

10 mW
I'm in Calgary Alberta, Canada.

Just wondering if there is a market for used 18650 cells.
My company is disposing of a lot of battery packs (2s2p) that I could take if I wanted. Debating on making a large charging/testing rig and potentially re-selling good cells from these disposed packs.

I've already built an ebike battery (13s5p) that turned out pretty good, and prepping to make a 7s6p. Beyond that I don't have much of a need for them.

I'm finding that at most, about 10% of the cells are bad after disassembling. And almost 100% of good cells testing around 2900-2950mah.

If there's a potential to make a bit of profit and help others obtain some fairly inexpensive cells of decent quality... well then...??

really depends on the price and type of cells. for the most part, you might be able to make some side cash. but don't be like the other sellers that advertise then fall off the face of the earth. :lol:

Hi there, what is the price for a 100 18650 used battery?

They are simple generic cells but decent enough quality I believe. My Company manufactures geo-seismic sensors that are used in very severe environments, so the batteries must be able to perform. Any warranty work on them though, the batteries are tossed to make sure they are up to brand new stats.

borrowed a friends charger that had a grading function and most of the cells were measured at anywhere between 2850 and 3000mah. And when charging at 2A they didn't warm up. A lot better than some other generic cells I bought that would be noticeably warm charging at 0.5amp.

I was thinking of selling them at anywhere from $2-$3 per cell depending on quantity.

Just kinda testing the waters before spending money to setup a decent test rig to process more than 4 at a time LOL (took a long time to test the 65 cells needed for a 13s5p battery build)
at this moment there are close to 500 cells that I could strip and test.

jasonahf said:
I'm in Calgary Alberta, Canada.

Just wondering if there is a market for used 18650 cells.
My company is disposing of a lot of battery packs (2s2p) that I could take if I wanted. Debating on making a large charging/testing rig and potentially re-selling good cells from these disposed packs.

Hey,

I am in Calgary as well. I would be interested in a few packs to test.
Do you have any pictures of the packs and/or cells?

:thumb: I'd definitely be interested in purchasing some cells and I'm also located in Calgary, let me know if you still have some available... I'd probably want around 100 of them if possible

Sorry, Haven't been on here in a while.

here's a picture of the battery packs

batteries.jpg

And yes I still have LOTs left.

Built a medium'ish charging & testing rig over the holidays to charge and capacity test cells a bit quicker.
so far, I'm able to average about 30 cells a day

So far most are averaging over 2900mah with only a few in the 2800's area.

Might even consider selling the packs themselves cheaper if people wanted to salvage themselves due to the sheer number I now have.

Those look like BAK or maybe EVE cells, do you have any other details on these cells, or even just a close up photo of the text on the wrapper?

I wouldn't buy them at $3CAD per cell, but maybe someone else might; I was recently able to get a whole bunch of unused Samsung 30Qs from batteryhookup shipped to Calgary for about $2CAD each.

Here's a close up of one of the cells
got a few that were unused. They"re rated at 3200mah according to the vendor my work purchases the packs through.
discharge test at 1 amp to 2.8V I'm getting readings of around 3000mah

AL9nZEUpp85HIXVwhsgtnTGtaFc1yJnkHZfwjvR61MH7FEobDeFUUaXa1wEyG-UJfdhuYH1E_p5jq-dGKvFKLVbWSr4wTzjIWfQez9ImrPtAUQujC8vleLU3dNgGtulvAkZaY23B9Kk60ZUyNZgH9tmb1hC6Dw=w1733-h780-no

I'm flexible on price though. Mainly just the labour of disassembling the packs and testing. The spot welding on them is pretty intense. Strips rip apart and leave bits behind that are tough to get off.

Saw someone who made a chisel bladed device to shear the surfaces smooth... Might look into fabing up something like that myself

vaxt said:
I was recently able to get a whole bunch of unused Samsung 30Qs from batteryhookup shipped to Calgary for about $2CAD each.
Some of these posts about that model may interest you
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=*30q*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=-1&t=0&submit=Search

jasonahf said:
Saw someone who made a chisel bladder device to shear the surfaces smooth...

I tried a few searches for a chisel bladder, but can't get any relevant results. Could you link to something like what you mean?

Sorry bad spelling. I corrected it

Hers a link to the YouTube video I saw. Awesome idea... Could probably make a lever actuated one instead of motorized... Much simpler

https://youtu.be/saKO6Wvg95U

Actually first saw it on this video... Would love to find this kit online and build one of these power banks for myself

https://youtu.be/EAPrPJKjy3s

jasonahf said:
I'm flexible on price though. Mainly just the labour of disassembling the packs and testing. The spot welding on them is pretty intense. Strips rip apart and leave bits behind that are tough to get off.

Saw someone who made a chisel bladed device to shear the surfaces smooth... Might look into fabing up something like that myself

Extracting and testing is definitely a value add on top of just salvaged packs!

I have 400 lithium battery packs (2s2p) that can be disassembled and recycle the cells. The cells are originally rated at 3200MAH.
I was doing this myself but simply don't have enough time to go through so many. On average, most of the cells are good, 90% of the ones I've gone through test higher than 2800mah. and most of the remaining 10% are around 2700mah.

Was thinking that $800 might be a fair price if someone wanted to take these off my hands.

Attachments

• batteries.jpg
    batteries.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 10
Hi, I know this is an old post but I'm interested and wondering if you still have some 18650 cells

Back