'170mm' hub axle in a 190mm dropout?

Ozzzz

100 W
Continuing search for a new bike. With steel frame is it possible to just fit 170mm axle (smaller fat tyre) in 190mm dropouts. I'm sure someone would have done this, just bend /tighten to fit (the 170mm axle over all much wider than 190mm) but see that eg bafang make 190mm now. I have an eye on a bike but don't really want to lock in to limited rear hub choice.

Use axle spacers to make up the 20mm. Or better yet, install your torque arms inboard of the frame to take up that space. Done it many times on several different fat bike frames, and this generally works fine.

View attachment 1
TA-Right.jpg

Torque Arms inside. Of Course. An excellent idea teslanv! Without the bike at hand i'd been trying to imagine fitting all the hardware as it is set up now on my Norco but I think that would work. There's 20mm spare on the axle.. just wasn't in the right place :oops:

Is 20mm too far, 10/10 .. to just bend in to 170mm, seems it would be better than spacers... It's a steel frame..

I can use my TAs inside but then still need to space the disc and maybe both sides? (and maybe the rear caliper mount. I did see a 1/2" freewheel spacer but that doesnt seem ideal (?)...

IMG_1480.JPGView attachment 1IMG_1479.JPG

Back