18 mph. for 6+ hrs. in a Spark

torker

100 kW
That's just silly.

Headline: "You have to drive at 18mph to get even half-decent range from an EV - better stick with your ICE"

meh. Tesla Model S does nearly 300 mi at 55 mph with the luxury battery pack.

There's a couple that did the 3400 mi cross country trek in theirs from LA to NY:

Tesla Model S Cross Country

Yes it is the opposite of the spectrum from a 18 mph. ebike or a $18k car compared to a Tesla.. Just thought it was funny that they drove it at 18 mph. Just to prove "what" I am not sure .. I would love to have a Tesla :lol: but alas I am still drawn to check out the cheapest alternative. :oops:

torker said:
Yes it is the opposite of the spectrum from a 18 mph. ebike or a $18k car compared to a Tesla.. Just thought it was funny that they drove it at 18 mph. Just to prove "what" I am not sure .. I would love to have a Tesla :lol: but alas I am still drawn to check out the cheapest alternative. :oops:

I hear ya. I just love to dream :D

Maybe someone "poor" shmuck should try this stunt in a Tesla and see how far they get... Might end up driving for a whole day

According to Edmunds on the radio today, the Tesla is likely to break down if you do that. They were calling it the most unreliable new car on the market, etc. I was saying 5 years ago that the real service Tesla was doing everyone was letting the rich people pay for working the bugs out while they were incredibly hip for having one and putting up with it. Unfortunately they moved to the upper middle class before they had that finished.

I keep telling ya, you push too hard and you'll get people hating these things.

[youtube]bpNw7jYkbVc[/youtube]

Dauntless said:
According to Edmunds on the radio today, the Tesla is likely to break down if you do that. They were calling it the most unreliable new car on the market, etc. I was saying 5 years ago that the real service Tesla was doing everyone was letting the rich people pay for working the bugs out while they were incredibly hip for having one and putting up with it. Unfortunately they moved to the upper middle class before they had that finished.

I keep telling ya, you push too hard and you'll get people hating these things.

[youtube]bpNw7jYkbVc[/youtube]

Im assuming this is some type of sarcasm Im not following?

liveforphysics said:
Im assuming this is some type of sarcasm Im not following?

Oh, please do follow. Your refusal to pains me. I mean, you were the very first person I thought of, talking of your "Racecars," "Racebikes," all from you lifetime. (ICE of course.) First you're singing 'I hate myself for loving you' to the ICE, then to the individual electric components causing the trouble.

(You should have used the word "Satire.")

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53683&p=799101&hilit=+racecar#p799101

My shoulder has recovered, I could go racing. My racecar is a 2006 Pontiac Solstice, it WAS Aquilante's first and it WAS an SSB, don't know if there's hope for it now that SSB is gone. I haven't noticed the Solstice doing well in T4. Paying the cost to enter just to be a backmarker? I don't think so.

But the idea of building, say, the Reynard/Inverter as an electric. If only there was a CLASS for it to race in.

[youtube]iUBgg1jMdVY[/youtube]

I'm personally over gasoline burning racecars actually. My new racecar under-construction is a 2007 Porsche Cayman S EV conversion.

More importantly though, I know quite a few Tesla owners, and I've never heard anything but talk about how it's the best car they've ever owned and will never go back to another OEM again.

liveforphysics said:
I know quite a few Tesla owners, and I've never heard anything but talk about how it's the best car they've ever owned and will never go back to another OEM again.

Roadster or S? Follow the news. George Clooney of all people really busted loose on Elon a few months ago about all the problems with his. Edmunds owns cars that their people drive all the time and theirs has had replacement motors, display screen, don't remember what all the guy was saying. It was ranked up there with Jaguar as this car people are all excited to get even with the reputation. I had an OLD Jaguar, dang, I hope the Tesla ain't THAT bad! Hey, when it died and stopped without quite finishing the turn into the driveway I was all excited pushing it. That didn't last.

Dad had MG's before I was born, but he moved on to a Porsche, an Alfa Romeo and a BMW in my lifetime. The Alfa had so much warranty work he was immediately saying he wished he kept the Porsche Speedster, basically a Volkswagen engined car. There definitely wasn't an extra car sitting in the driveway when I was growing up. 18, barely out of high school, I was the youngest in the family to buy my own, a $100 car as old as I was that I had to get started to bring home to finish working on. I eventually gave it to my sister, whose soon to be ex took all the cars when he moved out. After a year of problems the court ordered him to give her one of the cars so she was going to give it back to me but I didn't really want it. (Okay, how could I NOT 'Sort of' want it.) Then someone offered her $150 for it. (What a relief) The next day I was driving over to her place and guess what was at the side of the freeway.

But a car only gets away with that when it's a novelty. The more mainstream the Tesla becomes, the tougher it'll be for them when there's problems. GM has this problem with the keyswitch turning off on some older cars if there's a heavy keyring. Only a few problems. But it's in cheaper cars, so all hell is breaking loose. A smaller number of Tesla's have had much more problems.

One thing you have to get used to, the average customer expects a fully finished car. If that $3,000 Indian car came over people here would mostly want to start plugging in a stereo, air conditioning, even power steering. When it didn't work right with that they'd be calling it "Junk."

The fingers said:
The big manager at my night job just got a new Tesla for the 60 mile round trip commute. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds. (makes over $100 grand a year) :mrgreen:

Now THERE is the kind of guy to run around in one. He has all the problems with it that the Ferrari or Porsche would, comes to work teary eyed because it's in the shop again, everybody is envying him because they want one. It's not a problem until it's THEIR problem. Meanwhile the rich is just glad HE has the only one.

But they were supposed to solve all those problems before selling something to the not so rich.

You must mean roadsters. Roadsters are the platform they learned the hard lessons with to make the Model S the amazing car it is. :)

Just last week the manager was complaining about how long it was taking to get home. The Tesla is elegible for the State of California carpool exemption sticker, making an hour and a half commute shrink to about 30 minutes. :mrgreen:

Yeah, that's the beauty of running pretty much any vehicle at a low speed.

I had a girlfriend in East LA County that i would drive from San Luis Obispo, CA to visit every or every other weekend while gas prices were in the $4.50-$5.00 range. That gasoline bill got crazy, of course. It was a ~250 mile trip.

Started reading about hypermiling, bought a scangauge II, and discovered that by taking that trip at an average of 60mph and shutting the engine off during long downhill sections took my 29mpg highway rated compact car up to 34-37mpg. I did this at night so that i didn't disrupt traffic too bad, of course.

If you have 40-55mph frontage roads along highways, even a smaller range EV could be perfect. It's hard to have the discipline to do that in a spread-out area since that means more time in the car.. but it's doable.

That's what a guy who built an EV Geo Metro up here locally does. Frontage roads only.. and he has a 70-80 mile range on 16kw-hrs of lifepo4 battery.

Back