• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

1st Electric Skateboard: Safe Top Speed? kv ratings

Cubit

1 µW
Hey all,

I'm buying parts for my first electric skateboard, and I just need to buy the motor and the batteries. The problem is, I'm not sure if I should get a 149kv motor, a 168kv motor, or a 190kv motor for a 10s configuration.

Wheels: 83mm
Gearing Ratio: 2.25 (16t/36t)
Voltage: 10s (36v)

The theoretical top speeds would be around 37km/h (23mph) for the 149kv motor, 42km/h (26mph) for the 168kv motor, and 48km/h (30mph) for the 190kv motor.

Basically, I'm not sure what speeds feel safe or too fast or too slow since I haven't ridden an electric skateboard before. Also, I'm not sure how much those speeds will be reduced IRL when I'm riding it (just by my weight as well as going up hills vs flats). I weigh about 120lbs or 54kg if that helps.

Could you guys give me some suggestions?

Hi there
What Randy said is true enough :)
Personally though I think 10S with a 190kv motor - with the stated gear ratio - is overkill on the speed.
Sure you can always go slower, but then you may as well use a lower kv motor and get the better torque at the speeds you will be riding.
If you are an accomplished rider who can handle top speeds then go for the 190kv, if not then I would recommend a lower kv.
Believe me, 20mph is pretty fast on a skateboard and you have to consider where you will be riding it. You got great smooth paths where you are?
The only place I have decent paths for good speed are also filled with other people and kids have the tendency to jump in front of me. No way I can do 20mph there.
At the end of the day there is no good answer I suppose, all just compromises, but with any of the mentioned you can't go far wrong so you are halfway there already. :D
All the best.

Longboarder here. Really pushing hard on flat ground, I can attain 20-22mph. Bombing hills I've broken 40mph with the proper setup. (For reference, I've hit 60mph on a snowboard a handful of times)

So going 30pmh is booking it. Certainly a crazy speed for city transportation, but if you have smooth, relatively straight pavement to let loose on, 30 is within reason for an accomplished rider.

Back