2.5kWh + ebike?

hillzofvalp

100 kW
What kind of ebike would you put a 2.5kWh 28S A123 pack on? I'm building a small motorcycle/moped and the pack is huge. I was thinking maybe of using it on a trike as well for some ultra efficient treks around the coast of lake michigan. What would you do?

IMG_3317.jpg

hillzofvalp said:
What kind of ebike would you put a 2.5kWh 28S A123 pack on?
I'd put it on all of mine (in a removable box that could bolt on to whichever one I was using). Every really useful bike I have (presently CrazyBIke2 and Delta Tripper) could easily carry that thing. I presently have about 1KWh in a 50cal ammocan on the right side of CB2 under the seat, and can add anohter half-KWh in another ammocan for range if needed. I stick them on teh rear rack of DT when using that one for range, so I don't have to worry about recharging until I get home, even on my 25mile roundtrip commute the past couple weeks.

It'd be nice to not have to recharge each night when I get home, but could skip a day or two....(that's what I normaly do for my 5mile roundtrip commute I normally have; charge every 3-4 days).

My 1.5kwh lipo pack = 60 miles at 20mph.Mixed riding about 40 miles. Balls to the while about 25 miles. It depends on the ride and how long my ass can last. My last 50 mile ride with no pedaling was a little painful on a cruiser bike. But if you gonna blow that 2.5kwh pack at like 30-40mph in like an hour of riding then all i can say is good times. I would prefer it on a trike or recumbent so i could enjoy it bettter.

I carry 3kW sometimes...
depends on how far I wanna go.

Although my battery cases are of the same black case, two cases are stuffed with over 1kW (10s 25Ah), two cases with ~600W (10s 15Ah) and two cases with something completely different-lol. (14s 15Ah painted yellow and 7s 18Ah painted green)

trikes ftw

Assuming unlimited funds, I'd be shopping for a Zero motorcycle that can be street legal. Or build something based on a vin numbered frame you can get a plate for. Pointless to make an illegal homemade motorcycle only to have the cops take it.

With no money, if that pack dropped in my lap I'd wire it 14s, what my longtail cargo bike runs on. 30mph is all I need weighing that much, and it's legal in NM. Pretty soon I'll buy some more battery, and have about 2kw of 48v, which should get me 60-70 miles of range. Enough to ride cross country in the west, where towns with a plug can be 60 miles apart. I have this summer off, and hope to do some real riding on the longtail.

I just prefer bike for long hauls. Able to squeeze over when the life depends on it on narrow country roads. With full suspension, my cargo bike can dive off the road at 30 mph with as much ease as any FS bike.

Make the pack splittable? 1.25kw is lots of range at 30 wh/mi. Even 60 pounds would carry fine on a good longtail, low in the panniers. Or trailer the pack behind any ebike.

Ride the motorcycle slow is an option too. Bet range wouldn't be much worse than a bike or trike at the same speed.

Cargo bike duty ftw.

I currently have a 2'x2'x1.75' empty cargo hold and nothing in my frame triangle or on/next to the rear wheel. The lockable battery compartment holds 1.5 kWh ping + charger and controller, and has ample room for my bike helmet as well. While I have no need for added kWh, I reckon I could load 7-8 kWh on my bike without sacrificing cargo capacity. It has also transported 4 adults without issue (tight fit, but weight was fine).

Heavy duty cargo bikes are incredibly useful in an urban setting.

You would need 10KWH for a cross country trip. Brammo is able to put it on a motorcycle. I am sure it should simple enough on a trike or ebike. 10KWH should be able to ride until dark at which you charge over night to be full again the next day for another 10Kwh ride.

Back