2 Chainrings on TSDZ2B - is an adapter necessary?

kiltedcelt

100 W
If you want to run two chainrings on a TSDZ2B will both rings install onto the existing spider that is part of the motor or does one need to purchase an adapter? I've seen some adapters for both 130BCD and 104BCD but it's unclear if these adapters will allow installation of two chainrings or merely exist to allow a greater choice of single chainring for the TSDZ2B. I do know from reading on the recumbent forum I frequent that folks have installed double rings but so far I haven't heard back whether they installed them on the existing spider or utilized and adapter of some sort. I do know that the spacing is such that a front derailleur won't work to shift the rings without some modifications. Some folks are simply choosing to leave off the front derailleur and shifting by manually moving the chain. On a recumbent trike (which is what I have), one can actually grab the front chaintube and affect a shift between front chainrings manually while pedaling. Not the most elegant solution, but it's doable. I would prefer to keep a front derailleur but will like switch to flat mount so that I can use the necessary washers and such to achieve the spacing that will allow shifting. Further complicating matters is that I run a Rohloff hub in the rear so I have to be choosy with the choice of chainrings so that I don't exceed input torque for the Rohloff.

Further complicating matters is that I run a Rohloff hub in the rear so I have to be choosy with the choice of chainrings so that I don't exceed input torque for the Rohloff.

Rohloff with TSDZ2?

When you go to the bar, do you ask for the most expensive tequila they have, mixed with whatever fluid is sitting in the spill mat?

Last edited:
I bought 2 chainrings for my Tsdz2 from the vendor at time of purchase. I had to shim the derailleur over to get it to shift to the big ring. It worked, kind of, as I'm at the edge of maximum travel. Someday I may revisit and fix it right. Until I can get more power from the motor, it's 36v, I lost interest in this project:
RedBike.jpg
Though, I'm on to my next windmill: front loading tilting cargo trikes:unsure:.

Rohloff with TSDZ2?

When you go to the bar, do you ask for the most expensive tequila they have, mixed with whatever fluid is sitting in the spill mat?
friend of mine did that and is very happy with it

If you want to run two chainrings on a TSDZ2B will both rings install onto the existing spider that is part of the motor or does one need to purchase an adapter? I've seen some adapters for both 130BCD and 104BCD but it's unclear if these adapters will allow installation of two chainrings or merely exist to allow a greater choice of single chainring for the TSDZ2B.
I run two chainrings on my tsdz2 (not B), no adapter needed. Photo isn't great but if you zoom in on the spider arm going up you can see it's sandwiched between the larger chainring on the outside and the smaller on the inside. Also the derailleur just about shifts with no modifications because both chainrings are offset.

1000023096.jpg

If the existing front derailleur cannot swing out far enough, you might look at a direct mount derailleur which would screw into a clamp on mount on the downtube. If you buy the appropriate model. they can be be extended with spacers (a DIY deal) to reach out further.

Thanks for the input on the chainrings folks. Over on the recumbent forum I frequent I know several of those folks have tried double chainrings and the derailleur approach generally means flat-mount with some spacers which works well enough. So far I have a week of use and with the stock 42T TSDZ2B chainring it's okay for most of the riding I do, but I could probably have a bigger tooth count since most of my riding is streets and it's flat. I do find that even with this stock gearing, the motor is able to assist me fairly well up some pretty steep off-road climbs that I've tried it on. If I was going to ride somewhere that I knew was going to have a LOT of off-road climbing I might want a lower gear chainring on the front. I just have to be aware to not exceed Rohloff torque input though, if I go with with a double front setup.

Two chain rings worked on my TSDZ2b, though it drove a Nuvinci (Enviolo) CV hub. I was of the opinion that the drive losses in the CVT hub, plus it's weight, was too much for a 36v TSDZ. So I installed an eight speed cluster on the rear wheel. Two chain rings weren't working on it, and in fact one chain ring doesn't work all that well either. If I could get more power out of that 36v TSDZb, I'd put the Nuvinci wheel back on. (Can a 36v TSDZ2b do 48v?)
So, in my inexpert opinion, two chainrings do work well with one sprocket in the rear.

Two chain rings worked on my TSDZ2b, though it drove a Nuvinci (Enviolo) CV hub. I was of the opinion that the drive losses in the CVT hub, plus it's weight, was too much for a 36v TSDZ. So I installed an eight speed cluster on the rear wheel. Two chain rings weren't working on it, and in fact one chain ring doesn't work all that well either. If I could get more power out of that 36v TSDZb, I'd put the Nuvinci wheel back on. (Can a 36v TSDZ2b do 48v?)
So, in my inexpert opinion, two chainrings do work well with one sprocket in the rear.
Yes, a 36v TSDZ2b can do 48v. You'd need to reprogram it either by hacking the original firmware or installing the OSF version. The motors are however wound different so you'll have a higher cadence rather than more torgue.

I ran my TSZD2b for years like that specifically for that reason, though the cadence was still not high enough for my liking. I ran a 2 chainring setup with an adapter because I wanted to be able to run 130 BCD chainrings (old roadbike standard) rather than the standard 110 BCD (mountainbike standard). Double 110 BCD chainrings fit just fine without an adapter.

Attachments

• 20230719_164828 (1).jpg
    20230719_164828 (1).jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
Back