2 Controllers, 1 brake lever - low vs high brake and grounding

firewall

1 µW
I am running 2 controllers, front and back on a Citycoco/electric moped.

The left (rear) brake lever is connected to the rear controller's low-brake input.

The right brake lever controls the brake lights only.

I have the NB Power harness/kit that supplies 12v for the high brake. But there isn't a ground wire.

Question: can I hook up the high 12v+ from the harness to the rear controller's 12v high brake and make it work (e.g. stop controller on brakes)

Thanks

High brake is normally intended to connect to a lever that is switching 12v on for a brake light (connecting the light to 12v, where the light is normally not connected when lever is not pulled). So if that's what your right lever does, then that's where you'd connect the NB's HB signal wire.

If the right lever just grounds the lights instead of providing power to them, you can either setup a lever-controlled relay to switch 12v to the HB wire or rewire the lights/lever so that 12v is switched instead of ground.

High brake is normally intended to connect to a lever that is switching 12v on for a brake light (connecting the light to 12v, where the light is normally not connected when lever is not pulled). So if that's what your right lever does, then that's where you'd connect the NB's HB signal wire.

If the right lever just grounds the lights instead of providing power to them, you can either setup a lever-controlled relay to switch 12v to the HB wire or rewire the lights/lever so that 12v is switched instead of ground.
No offense, but your answer is not at all what he asked.

What he asked was - if he could hook up the 12v+ from the harness directly into the +12v high brake wire.

Since there is no common ground, I don't think that will work.

A workaround is to share the ground between batteries.

But we don't know if OP is connecting this all to 1 battery or more.

Oh well.

No offense, but your answer is not at all what he asked.
Sometimes a question cannot be answered usefully the way the questioner expects.

If i simply said "no", which is the actual answer to the asked question, it would probably not be helpful.

What he asked was - if he could hook up the 12v+ from the harness directly into the +12v high brake wire.
That's why I explained how it works. Some further info if you haven't already thought about it::

If you hook up 12v to a wire that takes 12v to activate it, it's always activated.

If it's a brake wire, then brake is always activated. Hopefully you can see what the answer is from that, and the previous post. If I assume that those two things are what is going on, then the answer is "no"...but "no" isn't really useful, as it doesn't say why it's not what to do, or what should be done instead. ;)

I don't have a complete wiring diagram for your system, so I can't tell you exactly what results you will get for any specific thing. I can only suggest how things normally work, but you must adapt them to your system's actual wiring.

Since there is no common ground, I don't think that will work.

A workaround is to share the ground between batteries.

But we don't know if OP is connecting this all to 1 battery or more.

You *are* the OP, so you know whatever youv'e got there, I hope. If your'e not the OP, you're using their login information, so you should have direct access to the OP to discuss it with them and find out. ;)

But I don't know what you have, without you posting a complete wiring diagram, etc.... :(

I use these opto coupled relays. The OP can wire them up so that both brake levers can operate the brake light and still be able to switch off both controllers, keeping them independently wired in either high brake or low brake mode.

There is a jumper for each relay so it can be energised by either a high or low signal from the lever.

It would be the easiest no fuss solution.

Last edited:
Back