2 motors for a 2 speed system - friction drive

Powdersummit

10 mW
I've been lurking on this forum for probably close to six months on and off to learn as much as I can about building an electric bike and as much technical stuff as I can. I guess now is as good of time as any to dive into the insanity. With that said here is my idea.

The type of riding that I do is largely varied. There are times that I would like to hit 30+ mph going down the road but at the same time I would also like to have something that can crawl up a goat path (yes I know slippage issues are a problem on a friction drive but I have ideas for that so ignore that for now). That makes gearing a problem to have such different needs of high speed cruising and low speed crawling. My solution is to have a two motor setup where only one motor is running at a time but each of the motors have different gearing to the drive spindle. For your high speed motor you could have a 2:1 gear reduction to the drive wheel. If you used a 300kV motor at 44V on a 2:1 ratio to a 2 inch drive spindle you could get upwards of 30mph (these are rough calculations). Now if you wanted a low range you could have a second motor of the same size that has a 3:1 reduction to the first motor (using the first motor as a jackshaft) for a total of 6:1 reduction and a max speed of 10mph. This would give you more control at low speeds plus having 3 times the torque or less amp draw from the batteries. This system would have to incorporate one or two overrunning clutches to keep the second motor (low range) from trying to spin a 30k rpm while in high range. I hope this makes some sense.

As for the electronics part a person could use 1 speed controller and switch the phase wires back and forth between high and low range motors or you could use 2 speed controllers and just switch which controller/motor receives the throttle. I hope this makes sense to some of you out there, it's late and I've spent the better part of my day chasing after my 2 year old son and constantly thinking this idea through.

Carl

A mechanical solution would be to have a belted reduction for first gear using a 1.25 inch roller, and then move a lever so that the rocking-arm mount lifts the roller, and the shell of a 50mm motor is then driving the wheel.

Kepler and Adrian have had good luck with the 50mm motors (2-inch diameter)...except when they were at low speed on a hill. Then the motor drew so many amps that the smallish copper mass couldn't handle the heat. A belted reduction driving the roller (for first gear 1-15 MPH) would keep the small motors RPMs up where it wasn't bogging down. Heat issues would not be a problem then.

Kepler has had great success using the 63mm motors at 200-kV on 5S, and adding a belted reduction to a roller for first gear would make it an even stronger climber...

SpinningMagnets - Thanks for your reply, I've been following your progress with your friction drive with great interest. I must say that these friction drive systems that you and others have made have a simple elegance.

My initial plan on a friction drive system was to maximize the amount of contact area to the tire to prevent slippage. I still think this is a viable option for a semi off road bike. My plan is to use either 2 concave drive rollers, both powered by high and low range, or give the belt sander design a try also with the high and low range. For the engagement I was thinking of an adjustable cam lock system like a pair of vice grips. I do have the ability to fabricate all of these parts in the machine shop that I work at so that isn't much of an issue. I've just been wondering about the 2 motor 2 speed system in theory. The only major concern is using the high speed motor as a jack shaft for the low speed. I'll try and get some drawing done up this week and get them posted.

Carl

Back