Cargo bike Vogue Carry 2 | Bafang M400 | C07 | Lack of torque

badaboum33

1 µW
Hello Everyone

I have bought an Cargo bike from Vogue. The Carry 2.

I am in the EU, and I am a bit disappointed by the lack of torque of the engine . Speed is not a problem. The limit at 25 km/h is ok for me as I ride mainly with the kids in the city. But I need more torque, especially that I am in a hilly area and got in some trouble are when the bike was loaded with 2 or 3 kids

I have tried to unlock the display, but apparently there are no setting for the torque. Only max speed.

1) How can I adjust the torque? is it capped?

2) everytime I change gear (nexus 7), the M400 cuts a micro second (I assume to allow the gear to change without too much torque into the hub) is this normal?

The specs are below:

Engine BAFANG M400 Max Drive
Power Motor 80Nm
Motor position 13 Ah
Battery Type CAN
Range 45-60 km
Maximum Speed 25 km/h

vogue-superior-2-electric-cargo-bike.jpg

541308736.jpg

120961508.jpg

I read from that its unclear if the higher power m600 fits in the m400 mount.

Changing the tires diameter might get you to where you want to be for torque, then the handling changes, and speeds change.

Adding a front geared hub motor is an option, it adds more components, more weight and higher cost. If you dont require that extra Newton-Meters all the time, you could make it discrete and the good news is you have lots of places to mount a small controller and a small wh battery. A used geared motor is an option if you can find one locally, just take a look inside the hub motor before you buy it to see if the teeth on the gears are all in place and that the motor hasnt over heated with its motor windings changing to a darker color and it will have a odor to it if its been overheated to much. Also check the condition of the hall sensors, any pcb's inside the hub, and the wiring for frayed insulation or overlap of phase wires inside the hub from a previous repair job. How would you power that front hub, a 2nd throttle and working completely independent of the other Bafang M400 system. You could hook up their pas system if it fits the bb.

You could sell it and buy a similar ready to ride ebike sold with the m600 or other mid drive, or build your own.

1) How can I adjust the torque?
You'd change the gearing between the motor and the wheel. For higher torque, you get lower speed.

If shifting into the smallest chainring at the front and the largest one in back is still not enough torque, you'd need to change one or both of those until it is enough.

Bigger in back, smaller in front, gives more torque.

Smaller in back, bigger in front, gives more speed.

It's directly proportional.

If you need the top speed you already have, then don't change the front chainring (if there is only one), because you need that to reach the top speed. Just change the largest rear sprocket(s) to even larger ones, proportional for the amount of torque you need to gain vs the size of sprocket you already have.

If you don't need as much speed as you have now, you can change the front ring to a smaller one, and if necessary a larger rear one.

2) everytime I change gear (nexus 7), the M400 cuts a micro second (I assume to allow the gear to change without too much torque into the hub) is this normal?
If it has a Gearsensor installed, then yes. This is a device normally placed somewhere along your shifter cable that reads when you shift.

Back