2 Separate 14s8p batteries in series, Question

TysonScott

10 W
I am going to have a 28s8p battery pack on my ebike. It will be on each side of the frame, so i was planning to make both sides their own separate 14s 8p battery pack (with bms) then use a dongle to connect them in series before going into the controller. Is this safe to do? will it function correctly? (draw equally from each pack). Im just wanting conformation before i order 2 14s bms's. Also for charging would it be best to charge each individually to the same voltage or could i wire the charge cables from the bms's in someway to charge them both at the same time? would i use a 28s or 14s charger for this? (i would guess 14s but the current would be split between the battery packs)

thanks!

TysonScott said:
I am going to have a 28s8p battery pack on my ebike. It will be on each side of the frame, so i was planning to make both sides their own separate 14s 8p battery pack (with bms) then use a dongle to connect them in series before going into the controller. Is this safe to do?
That depends on the BMS each pack has. If you look at the many other threads about seriesing multiple packs, you'll find discussions about this, but if the BMS FETs are not able to handle (not just be rated for!) the full voltage of the entire seriesed pack, then as soon as a BMS shuts off for whatever reason, it will blow up the FETs in that BMS.

That failure may be "silent", no outward sign. It may fail stuck-on, too, so that it continues to let the pack drain despite whatever was causing it to shut off, so if it had a cell already empty, you'll keep draining it, possibly until it actually reverses and perhaps even starts a fire, either at the time, or later during charging, from the reversal-damage (since the BMS may no longer be able to stop charging either, depending on the specific BMS design).

The "cheap" BMSs will probably not have FETs that can do what you want. You may have to replace any that come on it with ones that can. You may also have to determine if the BMS's power supply design can also handle the full dual-pack voltage--if it can't, it may fail and cause the BMS to not work at all (whether this leaves the pack stuck "on" or "off" depends on the BMS design and the failure mode).

If you get a BMS that uses a contactor instead of FETs, then as long as the contactor is rated for the full voltage of both packs, it'll be safer than the FETs would be.

will it function correctly? (draw equally from each pack).
Anything in series will always see exactly the same current from everything that is in the series circuit.

Im just wanting conformation before i order 2 14s bms's.
The best solution BMS wires is to get a single 28s BMS, and make an interconnect cable from one side to the other that you can leave hooked up once installed that connects the most positive half of the pack to the BMS that is in the most negative half of the pack, and connects the two together. See the BMS's specific instructions on required wiring / connection order so that you don't blow anything up on it when connecting that most positive half of the pack. There have been threads about doing this kind of wiring.

Also for charging would it be best to charge each individually to the same voltage or could i wire the charge cables from the bms's in someway to charge them both at the same time? would i use a 28s or 14s charger for this? (i would guess 14s but the current would be split between the battery packs)
If they're in series, and then you also parallel them (to charge both with one 14s charger), you just shorted across one entire pack, and this may start a fire, or just blow up the BMS in one, etc.

You can't charge as 28s either, because each BMS has a separate charge port, and can only protect against overcharge if you use those ports separately. (the same is true of using regen--the BMS cannot protect against overcharge or overcurrent, etc.).

The only safe way to charge simultaneously with two separate BMS in series is to use two electrically-isolated*** 14s chargers. One on the first pack, and one on the second pack, and no electrical connection of any kind between the two chargers' outputs.

***isolated means that none of the input wires electrically connect to any of the output wires, and vice-versa. For instance, the Meanwell HLG-series LED PSUs or the Grin Satiator that I use as chargers are like this.

A cheap plastic-cased charger I have here somewhere that I don't use is NOT like this, and the AC neutral side of it's two-wire cord is electrically connected to the negative output.

A metal-cased charger on my brother's trike has the case grounded to the ground prong on the AC side, *and* the negative output.

So neither of those types can be used for your purposes.

If any charger you have or get doesn't specifically say it's Isolated, and a measurement of continuity from every input wire to every output wire doesn't fail, you can't use them for this.

Otherwise, you will have to use one 14s charger to first charge and balance one half of the pack, and then the other, taking at least twice as long as with two, or with a 28s charger and a single 28s BMS.

In any of the 14s BMS cases, I'd recommend dual-port BMSes, so that charge and discharge are separate ports. It may simplify charging wiring and procedures with less risk of problems.

The single 28s BMS can be either common or dual port.

It may be simpler to use two 28s BMS, and split the pack into two parallel halves of 28s 4p each. Then everything can be simply paralleled and have one charger, etc. For this you need common-port BMSs, and should not use ones with separate charge/discharge ports.

TysonScott said:
Im just wanting conformation before i order 2 14s bms's. Also for charging would it be best to charge each individually to the same voltage or could i wire the charge cables from the bms's in someway to charge them both at the same time? would i use a 28s or 14s charger for this? (i would guess 14s but the current would be split between the battery packs)
thanks!

Hi Sir, serial batteries are not safe.. it's not good ideia to serialize BMS's. thats because every battery has a difference from one to other(plus the possible events for a bms cut). so if one BMS cut earlier than other , it will lead to unknown voltage output drop plus unknown mosfet impedance at "off" state BMS or possible bms keeps up after internal shutdown command(one of the two serial batteries gets unprotected/unstable behavior and still output power).
it's not safe serial BMS's due to unknown behavior of total output if one bms cuts earlier than other.
But U could do it if U want at your own responsibility..

U need to get a 28S bms and a 28S charger.. will be more expensive :flame:

amberwolf said:
It may be simpler to use two 28s BMS, and split the pack into two parallel halves of 28s 4p each. Then everything can be simply paralleled and have one charger, etc. For this you need common-port BMSs, and should not use ones with separate charge/discharge ports.
Wouldn't two 14s8p series halves make more sense (KIS)?? Connection between 01&28 function as both the charge & dischrge port. Bridge cable between 14&15. Only need one 28s BMS instead of two 14s BMSs.

...14 13 12 11 10 09 08 07 06 05 04 03 02 01
14-15 series connection cable --------------01-28 charge/discharge port
...15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Might not be enuf space for length of two parallel halves of 28s 4p compared to length of two series halves of 14s 8p. What is the advantage of two parallel halves (28s4p) instead of two series halves (14s8p)?

eMark said:
amberwolf said:
Wouldn't that basically accomplish same (underlined portion) as two series halves? Connection between 01&28 function as both the charge & dischrge port. Bridge cable between 14&15. Only need one 28s BMS instead of two 14s BMSs.

14 13 12 11 10 09 08 07 06 05 04 03 02 01
14-15 connection cable --------------------01-28 charge/discharge port
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Might not be enuf space for length of two parallel halves of 28s 4p compared to length of two series halves of 14s 8p. What is the advantage of two parallel halves (28s4p) instead of two series halves (14s8p)?

Thats a great idea to parallel x2 28S4P cells array :bolt: :bolt:
U need to connect one wire at each 28S elements from one side of frame to other to interconnect battery left 28S4P to other right 28S4P battery(if just use just one 28S BMS )
or U could use x2 28S BMS's and parallel those 28S4P batteries (make sure BMS's have same charge/discharge port & no need to put 28wires from left to right..)
sorry my english

For some reason amberwolf figured it was better paralleling two 28s4p halves using two BMSs for a 28s8p battery ... versus ... connecting two series 14s8p halves using just one 28s BMS. Why is paralleling two 28s4p halves better than two series 14s8p halves if not enuf frame space for the lengths of 28s4p halves if rectangular configuration??

amberwolf wrote:
Will two pack configurations fit better as rectangle or triangle packs? Which configuration is best suited ...
... two parallel 28s4p with 2- BMSs or two series 14s8p with 1-28s BMS (triangle or rectangle pack configuraton??)

It would be helpful if OP posts photo of bike frame and which configuration he believes is a better fit.

eMark said:
For some reason amberwolf figured it was better paralleling two 28s4p halves using two BMSs for a 28s8p battery

Yes Sir, You are correct. But remember does it worth the effort/time for disassemble TWO 14S8P to reconvert into x2 28S4P or it's just easier/time saving to use x2 serial 14S8P and just connect serial plug(no care about safety, just wanna ride bike quick)?

Hard work to reconvert 14S8P to 28S4P. Tha best ideia is to cut at half into x2 14S4P array, and then serial spot to convert into 28S4P
it's not as easy to cut a 8P battery at half 4P (using grinding wheel??) :idea:
maybe the best ideia is remove 4P14S nickels and leave the rest 14S4P array, and separate the other 14x4= 56cells individually to built another 14S to do serial on the original nickels array, leading to a final 28S4P battery

You have to do this work twice, since you have left 28S4P and right side 28S4P battery
Having x4 14S4P and do lego to reconvert into x2 28S4P

Soo it's up to TysonScott if he just want to do easy quick connection serial x2 14SP8P(being at unsafe side but quick solution) or the long time work of rebuild two batteries from 14S8P to x2 28S4P
Wish luck to project!! :bolt: :bolt:

PS: I keep on reediting this post! :thumb:

Maybe there is a very fast solution. no hard work needed to rebuild..
Check thiss :bolt: :bolt:

hard solution.jpg

visual consulting services/solutions

How is that any different from what i previously posted?? Assumed you read that it was using just one 28s BMS ...

Why so few Balance sensing leads in your sketch diagram? One side is B01 thru B14 with other side B15 thru B28 ...
... yes a substantial series cable bridge (blue) between B14 to B15. Although distance is no more than a few inches.

eMark said:
How is that any different from what i previously posted (assumed you read that it was using just one 28s BMS ...

Why so few Balance sensing leads in your sketch diagram? One side is B01 thru B14 with other side B15 thru B28

Hi Sir, I just did a paint diagram marketing based at Your design (boost Your brand :flame: )
Thank You for your ideia :idea:
soo now We all understand that stuff at a MS paint level!

just need one 28S BMS and one 28S charger! and a hard cable connection (10AWG? dependes on current, it seems a high power ebike soo could be a 8AWG or x2 10AWG parallel cables) from left to right :bolt:

PS: so few wires at diagram because its just a diagram! need to put out 14wires paint draw from each battery.. (28 or 29 total)

The downside with two 14s8p triangular pack configurations is being limited to only 2-3 series connections between the 14 8p pods ...

file.php

If somehow enuf space/room wouldn't it be better to use two 14s8p rectangular pack configurations? What say you ??

eMark said:
Wouldn't two 14s8p series halves make more sense (KIS)?? Connection between 01&28 function as both the charge & dischrge port. Bridge cable between 14&15. Only need one 28s BMS instead of two 14s BMSs.

<snip>

I covered that in the section quoted below, without stating the configuration as 2x 14s8p, because that was the proposed configuration already at that point. The 2x 28s4p was only proposed at the *very end* of the post, so all other info is about the OP's stated configuration unless otherwise noted in my post.

amberwolf said:
Im just wanting conformation before i order 2 14s bms's.
The best solution BMS wires is to get a single 28s BMS, and make an interconnect cable from one side to the other that you can leave hooked up once installed that connects the most positive half of the pack to the BMS that is in the most negative half of the pack, and connects the two together. See the BMS's specific instructions on required wiring / connection order so that you don't blow anything up on it when connecting that most positive half of the pack. There have been threads about doing this kind of wiring.

Actually there's an advantage to having the 28s BMS in a separate enclosure so you can periodically open it up to manually check all the 28 individual 8p voltages and if need be to manually balance the two 14s8p battery packs.

Protect each of the 14s balance sense lead wraps in a weather resistant cable between 2 packs and BMS enclosure.

More convenient/accessible if need to replace the BMS or upgrade to a so-called "SMART" BMS to balance voltages.

IF possible consider using one battery (i.e. 20s7p) with SMART BMS enclosed within battery (with active balancing).

Back