2010 Pedego Interceptor

Levy wrote:
Deregulating the motor to be above 20mph makes the bike "not street legal" according to federal law. Be careful if you do this

Not strictly true. There is no federal law regulating ebikes as individuals own and use them, only as manufacturers produce them.

Each state and municipality has it's own rules about ebike speeds and capabilities, so as long as those rules don't prohibit either the modification or the results, there's nothing wrong with it.

Not true. Just google it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws#Defined_2) and check out the Wikipedia article. It seems to cover Federal and state regs quite well. The bottom line is it must not be able to "power" above 20mph to be street legal as a "Bicycle" in the US and Canada. Otherwise it is a powered vehicle with all the helmet, insurance and licensing rules applied.

grwalker said:
Not true. Just google it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws#Defined_2) and check out the Wikipedia article. It seems to cover Federal and state regs quite well. The bottom line is it must not be able to "power" above 20mph to be street legal as a "Bicycle" in the US and Canada. Otherwise it is a powered vehicle with all the helmet, insurance and licensing rules applied.
The "federal law" people keep erroneously referring to as a country-wide limitation is only a CPSC regulation, which simply defines what a "low power electric bicycle" is in reference to what manufacturers are allowed to call such things, regarding what can be sold as such within the USA. If the vehicle is manufactured to exceed the limits in the regulation, it isn't covered by that regulation anymore and is now a motor vehicle, to be regulated by whatever laws (federal, state, and local) limit it's sale or use.

In the USA, Federal regulations don't explicitly define what any vehicle type is as far as what a state can or cant' call it, so each state has their own laws and regulations about vehicles and what they are allowed or not allowed to be or do. Local municipalities and such can also have their own regulations that could be even more restrictive, depending on what their state's laws allow (some states may specifically deny them the ability to be more restrictive).

The only place Federal regulations apply exclusively is on federal or federally controlled areas; even places built using federal funds aren't restricted if the state doesn't restrict it.

If the CPSC regulation was truly a country-wide law, there would be no (applicable) individual state definitions or regulations regarding electric bicycles, and no state could allow them to go faster, have more power, or be heavier, etc. However, since it is not a country-wide law, a number of states have higher speeds, power limits, etc, and few use weight anywhere within the definition. Here in Arizona, for instance, while we are limited to less than 20MPH, there is no power limit, nor any weight limit, nor any requirement to pedal. In New Mexico generally, an ebike is a moped, because there's no state classification for a bicycle with a motor being something separate--yet in Las Cruces, where Dogman lives, they have a local law (recently enacted) that does limit things and does create an electric bicycle category of vehicle.

It is quite a mishmash of different types of regulations depending on where you are in the USA. Technically, it makes an electric-bicycle tour of the USA difficult, because each state you pass thru, and evne each city, possibly county, could have different regulations, and in some places they may not be allowed at all. :(

EDIT: started a wiki article and linked to this thread as one discussion on USA ebike law
http://www.endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Definitions_(legal)_of_an_Electric_Bicycle

I believe all it takes to take the 'governer' off an Interceptor is turning a screw on the controller. I haven't done this personally, but that's what I heard.

These bikes are surely a LOT better on 48v full speed. I don't like how Pedego tuned them to be easy off the line. It's suppose to make them more consumer friendly for inexperienced riders, but it makes you feel stranded when you take off from a stop with traffic behind you.

They are a fun, very comfortable ride though. Feels like a magic carpet.

veloman said:
I believe all it takes to take the 'governer' off an Interceptor is turning a screw on the controller. I haven't done this personally, but that's what I heard.

These bikes are surely a LOT better on 48v full speed. I don't like how Pedego tuned them to be easy off the line. It's suppose to make them more consumer friendly for inexperienced riders, but it makes you feel stranded when you take off from a stop with traffic behind you.

They are a fun, very comfortable ride though. Feels like a magic carpet.

Good description, Magic Carpet. Prolly why I chose the name.

where I live
it does not matter if ebike was manufactured 30mph capable or you user modyfied it to make 30mph on this bike.
The bike CAN do over 32km/20mph/ that what is important.
If you are measured or simply get attention of police or bylaw going obviously over 32km/h on bikepath/except downhill of course/ on motorized bicycle you are for sure will be fined.
To put everthing in contest.

Back