27.5" (30-35 inner width) rim for GMAC hub motor

cnrd

100 mW
Hi

I am planning on getting a GMAC hub motor and I really want to lace it up on a 27.5" rim that have an inner width of either 30mm or 35mm as I'm planning on putting a 62 or 70mm tire on it and run at relatively low pressure.

My problem is that finding a 30 or 35mm wide rim in a 27.5" size with 36 holes, that is strong enough for the torque from a GMAC, seems to be pretty hard.

The only rim I've really found is the Velocity Blunt 35 27.5".

Anyone have any ideas for a rim that would fit my needs?

DT H 522 works well for tubeless on 36H. I'm using in 29", nice enough rim.

My journey to finding some 36h i35 rims about 4 years ago for some Chris King hubs I have had since 1999 and had figured out that wider internal rims were as much of a part of being able to run low psi as the tires themselves, along with tubeless. I finally ended up ordering some ChiBon rims to my specs, one 27.5 and one 700c, as I have been running mullet for awhile, from Asia and while they were being built the 650b rim cracked at one of the spoke holes and I made a claim that was honored by the company surprisingly, however the rim is not the same style but I don't care as they have proven to be a good wheel set and just rode on them today in fact over some pretty gnarly black Doug Fir roots @ 15psi with 250 lbs of bike and rider aboard and nary a burp.

There really aren't many choices for wider tubeless rims in 36h drilling which is the standard for 99% of the hub motors out there and still being built today. The one I know for sure is the Grin All-Axle and there may be one other rear hub...

The 32h standard is well adopted world wide in the sporting sectors at least. Some savvy hub company would be wise to address this situation because not only are 36h rims limited in options the ones that are tubeless ready are fewer still. When I asked Justin about getting G31X front hubs in 32h he kind of dodged the query but I got the sense that it wasn't going in that direction. I suppose a large enough order could get it done. Changing to a 32h drilling pattern shouldn't be that big of a deal even if new tooling needs to be made.

Back