$29.99 CREE XML XM-L T6 LED(Magic Shine 808)

thank you. you think it will be hard to wire up the converter?. as i said my electronics Knowledge is slim at most. also you think the performance will be a lot better using the bicycles battery? price is definitely right and they ship to the virgin islands which is a big plus

It will be piece of cake. Original battery will last anwhere from 30 to 60 mins on max, so by running your light from bike battery pack you don't have to worry about running out of light and you don't have to cary extra battery, which needs regular charging. And once you'll go out forgetting your lamp battery pack is not fully charged, and you'll be left in the dark somewhere on the road. That's why DC-DC sollution is much better.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=300826513557&globalID=EBAY-US
11.99USD..free shipping :)

Single XM-L lamp draws about 0.8-0.9A at 8.4V, and up to 1.5A at lower voltages. Triple XM-L draws at least double that, if not 2.5 more.

i recieved the SKYRAY 5000 Lm 3x CREE XM-L T6 today in the mail. took a while to get here but worth the wait. it is very bright
push button once and one bulb lights up, twice 2 bulbs light up 3 and all three are lit and it is bright. 4th push and it flashes. the head band will also be nice for watching the turtles nest and hatch outside our condo :D

i dont have a good set of calipers to get you a good measurement you will need to do this. personally i would wait till you get the light. with the three different levels of brightness i believe you will find out you don't need it. with it on high it lights up the road as good as my car with high beams on if not a little better. here is a picture outside my home. the one pothole on the right is about 1.5 feet deep. picture is a little blury from phone being in pocket and i think lens on it was dirty however you will get the idea
attachment.php

attachment.php

Just got this light. Works nicely for $53 USD http://www.ebay.com/itm/3xCREE-XM-L-XML-T6-LED-3800Lm-Bicycle-bike-Headlamp-Rechargeable-Headlight-/180995194999?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

Shipping took three weeks.
[youtube]ebYMimGpF7g [/youtube]

i did not like the mount for this so i took some steel and bet it. drilled it and painted it. i used an old light mount from a junk light as the mount. this for me is a much better set up. my handlebars had enough junk on them

Attachments

• photo(20).JPG
    photo(20).JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 1,314
  • photo(19).JPG
    photo(19).JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 1,314
It looks neat. Now you need to add remote handlebar switch so you don't have to bend down to switch it on/off, and you're golden.

izeman said:
yes that's good enough. thanks. i couldn't judge size from ebay pictures. 51mm is quite a lot bigger then the single led one - which i think are the right size (for my bike). triple led light surely are much more powerful :)
I got the trustfire 3 led bike light from ebay which is a little smaller- 45mm outside dia of the light unit, and the lens itself is 39mm.

bobale said:
It looks neat. Now you need to add remote handlebar switch so you don't have to bend down to switch it on/off, and you're golden.

Has anyone added an external switch to one of these type of led lights yet? It would be far more convenient than on the end of the light. I've not looked at the switches on these lights but I assume they'll be momentary ones with control on the lights circuit board.

alsmith said:
I've not looked at the switches on these lights but I assume they'll be momentary ones with control on the lights circuit board.
That's right.

Switches in those lamps are low current momentary tactile switches, and as lamps are very nicely waterproofed I see no reason for them to fail.

Differing opinions on the switches- first thing to fail and no reason for them to fail. I would expect a long life from them, and they may fail before the leds do but some of those leds are rated for 100,000 hours- which is 11 years of light.
Anyhow it looks like I'll be drilling an exit hole for a couple of wires.

Maybe you can sneak two extra wires up existing hole at the bottom?

Back