3 Speed Switch help (sorted!!)

mxer

1 kW
Fitted a 3 speed switch this afternoon and connected everything up X1red X2 green and GND etc into my Infineon EB209 board, Programmed everything up 80% 100% 120% switched it on and wound it up, Tried the switch and nothing changes ? Tried programming a couple of times with the switch in different positions and still nothing ? What am i doing wrong ? I did solder the GND to the board GND 7 (checking before for continuity on the main GND).....

Does it matter if X1 red and X2 green are the wrong way round ? (All shrinked up now and can't see) pretty sure i did it the right way ?

Also the XPD software say's select "switch" mode, There is no switch mode ??? Just "Toggle or Select"

....Anyway's I'm lost now so need some help folk's, Thanks....

Umm I had issues first.
Just check the wiring, Ground goes to centre common pin of the switch, other two wires to the switched output. does not matter if the two speed wires are either way around.

You could try disconnecting the switch, and then just shorting/twisting the wires directly to each other without the switch.

Programming should only work with switch in middle position..no connection between either speed wire and gnd. Try programming and see if you can actually upload settings to the controller with the switch in all positions. If you can then chances switch is not working correctly. In saying that..this info is correct with regard to the Lyen EB218 controller. others may be different

Try both 'toggle' and ' select'
some software had this badly labelled
Also check the overall 'Speed Limit ' programming selection, make sure that is not activated and set lower than the rest.

Nope, Tried everything, stripped the wires and tried X1 to gnd then x2 to gnd and nothing, tried both toggle and select, Nothing, Checked the switch continuity and all is switching ? I guessing it's the software not uploading my settings and just sticking to the "speed limit" setting...I did lower this lower than my lowest setting on the speeds and it just sat at the slower "limiteds speed" i set to 40%, The 3 speed were set to 50,70,120....

I don't know, It is only X1 X2 and GND i have to play with isn't it?? I also see X3,SLA,and DX3 on the same part of the boardof which none are connected to anything ? (empty holes)

Is there another software i can try,Also would be good to here from people who have XPD successfully running a 3 speed switch...

mxer said:
Nope, Tried everything, stripped the wires and tried X1 to gnd then x2 to gnd and nothing, tried both toggle and select, Nothing, Checked the switch continuity and all is switching ? I guessing it's the software not uploading my settings and just sticking to the "speed limit" setting...I did lower this lower than my lowest setting on the speeds and it just sat at the slower "limiteds speed" i set to 40%, The 3 speed were set to 50,70,120....

I don't know, It is only X1 X2 and GND i have to play with isn't it?? I also see X3,SLA,and DX3 on the same part of the boardof which none are connected to anything ? (empty holes)

Is there another software i can try,Also would be good to here from people who have XPD successfully running a 3 speed switch...

Is the software giving you the message that settings are uploaded? If no message then no upload. Try uploading with battery disconnected. If you have a controller power switch and a CA connected, disconnect the battery, and power on controller, so the CA drains the power from the controller. make sure it is totally dead.

It could be your controller is not programable. I have 4 controllers here, all Infinieon, two both EB218 boards. one is programable, the other not. If you bought it as programable, from Lyen, then he should have a cable and software especially for it. If you added programming header etc your self, then all bets are off..it may or may not work..the luck of the draw as to if it programs or not...
but that should not stop the 3 speed switch working..as long as the controller does have different speed settings programmed in it from factory

SLA I think is the jumper that you connect to ground to select the Speed Limit setting
DX3 and X3..think there is often a diode between these two, and them a wire from a second pad on X3..this is reverse..I think

`Check here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7361

It all uploads successfully, I have been programing the controller for a while now and is working (playing with phases is cool etc) but this three speed switch does not want to play :cry: I'm thinking it's the software itself not overiding the "Limited speed" ....

I think i will just have to set the limited speed lower as it's to fast/obvious (hey look at me doing 35mph on a push bike senerio) and on and off the throttle just doesn't sound good, bit gutted really as i do alot of off road, and could of done with the extra speed :evil: Nice one thanks Neil :)

well if you have nothing connected to the SL pad, thne unlikely that the Limit Speed function is coming in to play.
maybe worth trying a newer version of XPD..does yours have the 'Unlimited' regen brake function?
cant think what else to try

Think you are right on the SLA function, looking at this pic (from somwhere else) all the ports are filled in (just wish i could see the other side) to see what's there ?

sc5-1600x1200.jpg

I have only just downloaded XPD (few weeks ago) so i'm guessing it's the latest although i can't see an unlimited regen function, but there is regen in there, I have disabled it as i run a geared hub .....

Just had a thought :roll: Does SLA stand for "Speed Limit Activation" so looking at your other post if i just ground this like you said to somewhere will it Activate it :idea:

Yes, pretty sure that is right..but I would do a bit more read up first.
How do you mean you can't see the other side of the board?

I would guess that in that pic, the two holes near X3 and DX that are filled in.will be both ends of a diode...and if you wanted reverse, you would connect to the hole marked DX3.

yes, to activate the speed limit setting you would ground the SLA pad

what i am wondering is, does your board already have SLA pad already permanently grounded by a hard wire link? and that is why the other speeds are not working?

Where did you get your controller from?

not sure if it would b of any help at all, but go the facebook and look up the Endless Sphere Facebook group. then go to the group photos. Yuo should find three pics of the back of two boards I have..may or may not be of any use

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.228324397236636&type=1

That picture is not my board so i can't see the other side :lol: , just found it and was using it as a reference, My board has nothing in the ports X3, DX3, SLA......

I'm going to ground SLA tommorrow, I don't like to say (fingers crossed) But Neil I think you have cracked it :mrgreen: Thanks mate :D

No, I do not think so. I think maybe you have miss understood something along the way...sorry.

but if SLA is not grounded then the speed limit 'override' function will not be active.

what the SL function does is give a blanket overall speed limit, overriding what is set by the threed speed switch

sorry but that is not going to be thw answer to amke the three speed work.

IF it does wor, thenit may at least give you 2 speed settings...whatever it has defaulted to...and the override SL speed..

XPD version 2.2 with unlimited regen

http://cs.ozerki.net/zap/pub/xpd/

from a link here:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27927&start=150

Oh i get it now, sorry, it is me i'm getting confussed and not reading posts properly :roll: , Oh well back to square one :(

NeilP said:
XPD version 2.2 with unlimited regen

http://cs.ozerki.net/zap/pub/xpd/

from a link here:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27927&start=150

Updated to 2.2, Many thanks :D I'll give it a try in the morning, am i best still having regen disabled as i have a geared hub or run it anyway to keep it stable ??..

Tried the updated 2.2 this morning and nothing :( Think i will give it a miss now, I don't like things beating me but hey, This has :roll: .....

personally, I don't think the XPD software or my EB209 board is designed to work with a 3 speed switch, And that's it ?...

Do you have a sensorles controller? one original lly sold by Crystalyte maybe..originally had an Xlyte APM header instead of a e-bikes.ca Cycle Analyst.

Thinking back I do not think I managed to get three speed working on one I looked at. Had to do it with the 'software interface' of the Xlyte APM

Never used a geard hub, but since the freewheel, I do not think regen can work.

PM me with your e-mail address and I may have other software that you coudl try

Well!!!, After couple of day's trying to get a couple of different programs to load which is now sorted :roll: Still no joy!!! so can't be the software's ??? Must be a hardware issue ??? i will double check my X1 and X2 wiring or the GND i located on the board at GND 7 will open it up tommorrow and have a look...

So process of illimination to me so far is......

Software (tried two different sorts) "check!!"

Switch continuitly "Check!!"

wiring straight out of the controller X1 X2 to GND etc "Check!!"

continuity on the GND "Check!!"

wiring on board "to be checked"

Replace with a different controller, "to be checked"

If i get to here, Give up "To be checked" :lol:

My switch works like a push button to change speed.

I am missing something on the installing the software.

Downloaded XPD2.2 and now I'm lost. Where do I start?

I have eb312 and eb306 boards, both switch speed but not with the rocker style.

I need help installing the software.

Dan

DAND214 said:
My switch works like a push button to change speed.

I am missing something on the installing the software.

Downloaded XPD2.2 and now I'm lost. Where do I start?

I have eb312 and eb306 boards, both switch speed but not with the rocker style.

I need help installing the software.

Dan

What grief/errors you having DAN ? I may be able to help as i have seen them all on my machine :roll:

WHOOP WHOOP!!! SORTED...

Never knew i could get so excited about a 3 speed switch, I found this statment "When SL is connected to GND, speed limit will be enabled" My EB209 board WAS connected to GND, so a quick snip and it WORKS!!!! :p :twisted: :twisted: .....

Happy now, closed ....Thanks All :D

Settings now :roll: My aim is to lower speeds for the road .....

Set to speed one 80% = too fast, 70%= getting there, 60% perfect on speed one, But it will cut in and out is this normal?? I don't like that as it feels like i'm going to break something ?...

So tried 55% which is good but again feels on and off, but not as bad as 60%, Would try 50% but it's now raining (Big Girly, i know)

Anyway i feel these three speed switches are not liked by controllers or motors just feels like they are fighting for that power which is there but they can't have it or is it just me ?..

At one point on speed one the motor was groaning and complaining as if it was going into saturation....

The motor is very happy at 80% 24mph 100% 29mph 120% 31mph but on the road speed one is not what i want, Would like it to be around 18 mph but requires 55% which as above it's not happy with (groaning/on and off etc)....amps pulling around 25amps wonder if i should lower this ?... Any experiences on low speeds on 3 speed switches would be nice.....

mxer said:
Settings now :roll: My aim is to lower speeds for the road .....

Set to speed one 80% = too fast, 70%= getting there, 60% perfect on speed one, But it will cut in and out is this normal?? I don't like that as it feels like i'm going to break something ?...

So tried 55% which is good but again feels on and off, but not as bad as 60%, Would try 50% but it's now raining (Big Girly, i know)

Anyway i feel these three speed switches are not liked by controllers or motors just feels like they are fighting for that power which is there but they can't have it or is it just me ?..

At one point on speed one the motor was groaning and complaining as if it was going into saturation....

The motor is very happy at 80% 24mph 100% 29mph 120% 31mph but on the road speed one is not what i want, Would like it to be around 18 mph but requires 55% which as above it's not happy with (groaning/on and off etc)....amps pulling around 25amps wonder if i should lower this ?... Any experiences on low speeds on 3 speed switches would be nice.....

yup, defiantly annoying, had the same experience with my little geared folder at about the same 60% setting. sorry never paid it much attention or bothered to change it as i seldom ride at that setting but that bike only tops out at mid 20's.

funny, i never felt that w/ my DD's but again i seldom ride at that setting so it maybe thats a sign i need to slow down. :twisted:

Back