420A 24S ESC by aliens

Thanks a lot for the test!

100A, not really the 250A I was hoping for.

I'm impressed it handled such high motor frequency. 6700rpm with 11 pole pairs - more than 1200Hz.

Did you try any controller settings, like changing the phase advance?
Was it set to 32kHz switching?

nicobie said:
liveforphysics said:
:) Never thought I would be saying things involving the phrase "my wife", but it's a good thing. :)

Yes it is. And I'll bet you'll live longer too.

Congradulations!

Thank you kindly my friend. :)

bearing said:
Thanks a lot for the test!

100A, not really the 250A I was hoping for.

I'm impressed it handled such high motor frequency. 6700rpm with 11 pole pairs - more than 1200Hz.

Did you try any controller settings, like changing the phase advance?
Was it set to 32kHz switching?

I allowed them to do setup up and the tuning parameters of the controller to perform optimally with there motors. Nobody is going to know the optimal settings better than the guys who are professionally doing this type of testing/setup/research. I agree, 1200Hz is some serious commutation frequency (twice what a Sevcon is capable of achieving), I'm impressed how well it did.

Nice test luke,i have to confess that when i used the older version of the alien power system controller it failed me and this was tested with my 6kw hub motor but when i told bruno about it he replaced it immediately with the newer version and since then i have never had any problem with my esc,iv'e been running 75volts and over 300amps for long rides and after the ride my controller temperature stays around 38 degree celsius ,i currently have the newer version and never had heat problems with the controller ,i had an accident this month on my bike if not i would like to do a dyno test if i get a chance,no matter what people say i have tested this esc personally without any problem and i'm very very happy with it,i suggest you get the newer version of the esc if possible and test it again.

Here are my youtube videos of riding with the alien power system esc i've been using it for months now no problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSYDlOTbfk0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKlBpQIUZj0

Good tests, predictable result. No reason to use this on a hub motor as infineon controllers are fine and well priced for the task. Maybe they're good for driving astro motors or whatnot..

Come on now Luke. Your year long delay tactic is not fooling anyone. We know Zero, Joby, and Makani Power are all secretly using Alien technology controllers capable of defeating the laws of thermodynamics :mrgreen:

I understand you don't want to spill the beans on their secret sauce, but what else is new at Joby. They kind of fell off the radar. Are they working on personal aircraft now?

liveforphysics said:
Thank you Bruno (I will send it back to you if you want to take it apart further), and thank you JoeBen for helping, and other folks on the amazing Joby team. You are living the dream my friend.

Enjoy life,
-Luke

Hi. Firs of all, congratulation. You need just a little thing for enjoy the life now. I know the feel...

Then, you are welcome.

I was expect a message before you start. Since i sent you the ESC, lots change. Now the big ESC are sold with a capacitors bank, Also all are new in design, parts, firmware, settings options etc., but this was the ESC to test, so it is fine.
Happy that it perform better than lots of more expensive ESC on the market, sad :( to see that at just 100AMP it fail. Anyway i was think at the test more like on a bench test Automotive style. The ESC firmware was E-BIKE, so one thing is spin a prop, and have the logic read some data from. Different is turn a gear. Also curious of what parameters you set for that, but sure your team do all properly if they do that kind of test regularly. The battery voltage was 24S ??

Nice was have this test before release the new version, but you was busy, i know why now, so ok. Anyway i was thinking a differen FET mount surface, but it need to be compact. It is still an RC ESC that need to be placed in RC vehicle also.

Well. If this guys are happy to do, we can try the new version now. I'm sure it will be nice.

Thanks

Yeah i suggest they try the new esc and i believe it won't fail like the older version did,wider heatsink for heat dissipation but the esc doesn't even get hot at all,i'm looking forward to another test or else i will do one when i get my bike together and running :twisted:

gwhy! said:
brunotollot said:
The battery voltage was 24S ??

I belive this was on 12s ~ 4500W

Yes, we started with a 24S 40Ah pack, however we discharged it to ~90vdc first to give an extra 10v of voltage overhead for the test. I think it's great news that you've improved the new design as well. If you would like, I will talk to this test team to see if they would be willing to do another free test for you if you want to send them another controller. The advantage there of course is that my schedule and priorities wouldn't be causing another huge delay before they test, because these guys don't need me to do the test, they are the best of the best for experts at testing RC motors/esc's.

Byte said:
Did anyone test a Castle Creations 160HV controller? At what kind of amps do these blow? 60/70A or somewhat?

If you look at the photo of the test stand setup they had going before this controller test, you will see what I think was a Castle HV160. I didn't ask them what they handle, but I did see a shoe-box sized box packed top to bottom with all big Castle controllers that were sadly out of magic smoke. Next time I'm over I will ask what they've been able to get a castle to survive.

gpro+test+rig.jpg

Still waiting for Mr. Physics to offer a conclusion, he had much to say before.

If Brun can afford it, maybe these guys can burn thousands of dollars in controllers. Can't wait for my computer to come back so I can see video.

Dauntless said:
Still waiting for Mr. Physics to offer a conclusion, he had much to say before.

If Brun can afford it, maybe these guys can burn thousands of dollars in controllers. Can't wait for my computer to come back so I can see video.

Did you miss the review and results of tests?

do you think the high revs compared to an ebike will make any difference ?

I'm thinking I'll put the other firmware on my controller and limit it to 50 amps and run it on my second bike

but I'm wondering if I could go higher too... the fast switching times running at 6500rpm vs the 650ish max for an ebike must stress the controller more ?

knighty said:
do you think the high revs compared to an ebike will make any difference ?

I'm thinking I'll put the other firmware on my controller and limit it to 50 amps and run it on my second bike

but I'm wondering if I could go higher too... the fast switching times running at 6500rpm vs the 650ish max for an ebike must stress the controller more ?
The electrical rpm is all the controller has to deal with.

Hub motor typically have a higher magnet poll count then RC motors every time a north and south magnet passes the same stator tooth is 1 electrical revolution.

So do they have true current limiting. For example can I set the current limit at say 40 amps and full throttle stall without it cooking?

magudaman said:
So do they have true current limiting. For example can I set the current limit at say 40 amps and full throttle stall without it cooking?

40amps off the pack is plenty to be sending >4,000amps phase current, and the controller's FETs only feel load from phase current. Many controllers try tricks to estimate, the ones that don't explode actually have dedicated phase-current monitoring with extremely fast hardware gate open interrupts as it see's over-current spikes.

To phrase it differently, battery current limiting can't save a controller, it's not the battery input current that fails them generally anyhow.

liveforphysics said:
magudaman said:

40amps off the pack is plenty to be sending >4,000amps phase current, and the controller's FETs only feel load from phase current. Many controllers try tricks to estimate, the ones that don't explode actually have dedicated phase-current monitoring with extremely fast hardware gate open interrupts as it see's over-current spikes.

To phrase it differently, battery current limiting can't save a controller, it's not the battery input current that fails them generally anyhow.

Totally understand. I guess I should ask does this controller guess well enough that it doesn't blow up from over current? It sounds like your test blew the unit due to heat not current.

I just recall the Castle controller if not used with a slipper clutch risked blowing up due to the high start up currents.

While I have not used the APS unit, I have run a Flier Model and different firmware on them, none of them offered phase current limiting. I do not see any circuitry to limit phase or battery current so that is controlled by PWM while in PWM mode. The controller produces a nice trapezoidal wave form, but the throttle is directly linked to PWM from what I saw. When I tested one on my high speed hub motor at 49V it worked OK, but pulled 180A peak from my 5AH pack on a very short test run. I have had hall sync issues on the regular Cromotor, but that could be my fault for not running a separate battery for powering the logic side (I tapped off the hall sensor board).

The Flier unit I have is 36 FETs and looks similar in size to what Luke ran and the APS unit is 72 FET and much larger physically.

Luke, congratulations on the marriage!

In plain english, should we call this a 100V / 90A controller? Is its main benefit that it is more compact than a more common controller with similar performance? (meaning a bigger controller with the same performance would cost less?). What other controller would be this ESCs biggest competition?

magudaman said:
... It sounds like your test blew the unit due to heat not current....

But what is it that generates heat in an electrical device ?? :wink:

So , why dont more controllers have true phase current monitoring and limiting ?? Cost ? ..weight ?.or just too difficult ?
or is it just not necessary for most "normal" applications.?

Back